• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spunko

Pandemic coming? - Coronavirus Mar/Apr 2020 (Part 2)

1 hour ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Who, the police?

Yes. The more people they come into contact with, the higher the chance that they will pick it up.

And if they have it, the more people they will therefore infect.

So stopping people randomly to ask where they are going, doesn't seem that sensible to me. They should just be clearing out any large groups / gatherings etc. 

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

I put this in the lockdown thread, but I'm so vexed i'm posting it here too

I'm currently going nuts 

I need to escape to a saner place. Where will I go? How will I get there?

It really has crystalised me that I want to leave the UK. A great shame, because it's  a lovely landscape and climate.

It's clearer than ever though that the cuntry has lost its way and is full of over zealous, unthinking, stasi.

Even people I once considered sane and good friends think these restrictions are sensible. WTF?

But from all I have been told by TPTB, there is nothing much to worry about, for most people, like Nadine, it's mild and over in a week,

In which case the measures are totally out of proportion.

All that may happen is that a year's worth of deaths will be compressed into a couple of months.

Bad PR, but for the rest of the year, undertakers can take a holiday

Where on earth would you go? Everyone says NZ but that is currently being run by an absolute hoon of a woman.

Are you more inclined to take that status downgrade on the GOV website as it stands? I've seen projections tonight for the UK for 5700 deaths.

Will Boris get credit for that, or will he be slaughtered for going too far?

Given what i wrote about him 2 weeks ago, i spose i would have to credit him. But why continue to allow planes to land from known hot spots, or ride packed tube trains, whilst at the same time chasing people off of the Derbyshire moors?

Fucking bonkers.

1 minute ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Where on earth would you go? Everyone says NZ but that is currently being run by an absolute hoon of a woman.

Are you more inclined to take that status downgrade on the GOV website as it stands? I've seen projections tonight for the UK for 5700 deaths.

Will Boris get credit for that, or will he be slaughtered for going too far?

Given what i wrote about him 2 weeks ago, i spose i would have to credit him. But why continue to allow planes to land from known hot spots, or ride packed tube trains, whilst at the same time chasing people off of the Derbyshire moors?

Fucking bonkers.

Places I'd go

Tasmania, but too old to compete for a job and too poor to get in

So realistically, now, the Falklands.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Royston said:

A select few?

It feels more like a select majority of people, including existing benefits claimants for some reason that isn't immediately obvious to me.

The only people who seem to excluded from the freebies and handouts are those that are "lucky" enough to be classified as "key workers" and have to keep working and paying income tax throughout all this.

Fair comment but ultimately it's meant to benefit the corporates and suchlike and they can be categorised as the few.

It'll be interesting to see what percentage of the ordinary people did benefit/didn't lose out when the crisis is over.

I would add that it looks like people with savings and suchlike are excluded as well although at 80% wages and people mainly having to stay at home it looks like total savings might be increasing.

Edited by twocents

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

Here, I'll cheer you all up a little bit with a glimmer of hope.

Its like football and we are shit at team sports.

572159748_FranceGermanyUKSpainUSA-260320.png.042051bca7f920703f3d3cc9e1332389.png1226302706_casespermillionpop260320v1.png.cf7e6de3bb767b799c12db3bdcd88bbe.png

But its why we're so good at music. 

A nation of tight lipped, sharp elbowed,  unfriendly, non tactile, miserable cunts.

Might just be our saviour.

Maybe that figure of 5700 is in view. Maybe the downgrade on March 19th was bob on?

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

572159748_FranceGermanyUKSpainUSA-260320.png.042051bca7f920703f3d3cc9e1332389.png1226302706_casespermillionpop260320v1.png.cf7e6de3bb767b799c12db3bdcd88bbe.png

Good work! Why are we so shit at this though? Something odd is going on. Our response such as it was appeared woeful. We embarked down the wrong path, panicked late and carried on fucking up with the likes of Sadiq Khan’s inability to understand what happens when you provide a limited service in an over populated city. But it just appears that the virus doesn’t like us Brits much....

7 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Using numbers from Italy, I would estimate if everyone in the UK copped a dose it would be 50,000 deaths.

So 5700 is about 15% copping a dose.

1 minute ago, Mental Floss said:

Good work! Why are we so shit at this though? Something odd is going on. Our response such as it was appeared woeful. We embarked down the wrong path, panicked late and carried on fucking up with the likes of Sadiq Khan’s inability to understand what happens when you provide a limited service in an over populated city. But it just appears that the virus doesn’t like us Brits much....

Wait until the climate warms up a bit

I think the virus likes it a bit warmer than the UK is at the moment

Forgot to post this during the server swop, it is in New Scientist.

While we know some people are more vulnerable to the virus than others, it is capable of putting a healthy adult of any age into a critical condition and in need of intensive care. However, the virus can also be asymptomatic, causing no noticeable illness in some people. Such cases were first recognised in China in January , but it wasn’t known how common they were.

The study concluded that 86 per cent of cases were “undocumented” – that is, asymptomatic or had only very mild symptoms. The researchers also analysed case data from foreign nationals who were evacuated from the city of Wuhan, where the first cases were seen, and found a similar proportion of asymptomatic or very mild cases.

16 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Using numbers from Italy, I would estimate if everyone in the UK copped a dose it would be 50,000 deaths.

So 5700 is about 15% copping a dose.

The flu kills somewhere between 10k and 30k annually in the UK.

Anyone want to bet that the Corona virus will kill fewer people than the flu this year?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Wouldn't radiography staff badges pic this up though?  Don't know if X-Rays are the same type of radiation, or if they just detect everything.

Quite possibly.  Are radiography badges miles away that sensitive to Fukushima type events? 

Is it possible that over time the build up of the Fukushima nuclear catastrophe over several years has weakened immunity in countries within that belt of latitude.  To be fair I don't think a similar event in China would go unnoticed - but I might be wrong of course.  Wuhan is close enough to be most affected then Iran then Italy etc.  South Korea as well.

Parts of the USA are on a similar latitude to Fukushima.

Then it would just need a virus of some sort to take advantage of the weakened immunity.

It might help to explain why the UK is so far bottom of the Coronavirus Championships.

Edited by twocents

29 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Isn't deaths the more accurate gauge?

Sure I seen one of the docs in a press conference state testing would be limited, probable huge variations in testing.

3 hours ago, Royston said:

A select few?

It feels more like a select majority of people, including existing benefits claimants for some reason that isn't immediately obvious to me.

The only people who seem to excluded from the freebies and handouts are those that are "lucky" enough to be classified as "key workers" and have to keep working and paying income tax throughout all this.

The thing is that those classified as key workers are, as far as I can see, public sector employees. In reality their wages and pensions are paid out of the taxes paid by the non public sector. The genuine self employed for example.

1 hour ago, twocents said:

That's a particularly interesting point.  

The Fukushima nuclear incident in 2011 (similar latitude to Wuhan).  Probably too long ago but could some remnants of that incident be helping in the virus mutation.  Was there a flare up.  Probably far too much of a long shot.

Radiation weakening immune systems.

Maybe a nuclear incident in China and looking at the secrecy over the virus if a nuclear incident had happened in China they would be secretive as they are selling nuclear expertise all around the world including to the UK.  Likely the UK would want to keep it a secret as well due to vested interests and UK nuclear power contracts with China.

That might help to explain the spread of the illness along the same latitudes due to a possible global belt of weather extending across the most affected countries at that time.

There would be good reason to stay indoors.

Pure conjecture of course.

For many reasons, no, this isn’t an explanation of what’s happening.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Transistor Man said:

For many reasons, no, this isn’t an explanation of what’s happening.

I'm open to it not being the reason as it's conjecture just for interest's sake but could you detail the reasons why not. 

Weakened immunity due to radiation in those latitudes does seem to be a reasonable possibility.

Edited by twocents

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Next closing its online service from tonight. Next has effectively ceased trading.

I've got way too many clothes and always think I should take some to charity shop and then forget to do it. They are starting to look like a good investment that I'll be wearing for many years to come. That is if we are allowed outside again. 

41 minutes ago, Mental Floss said:

We're fucking Millwall?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

A highly infectious mutating virus is not good enough for some of you that you now need radiation leaks and gamma bursts?

Not to mention weakened immunity due to the radiation and gamma bursts ;) Apparently that does happen.

Oh and 5G on top.

Edited by twocents

31 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

The flu kills somewhere between 10k and 30k annually in the UK.

Anyone want to bet that the Corona virus will kill fewer people than the flu this year?

Are you telling that why I can't buy any paint! For less deaths than the flu!. 

(BTW I acknowledge if we weren't locked down it would probably be more than the flu)