DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Laying floor tiles

choochoo

Wouldn't say it's a hobby as such.....but I've got some to lay.

They've all been cut and laid out, so that part is done.

It's a large porch, 2m x 1m, in an old house. Stone floor in reasonable condition, but not perfect due to being 130 years old.

Tiles have been dry laid and there is a wee bit of wobble here and there but nothing too bad.

Tile adhesive to be laid approx 4mm thick, which for me will take out the uneven areas before laying tiles, but will this just leave a problem and I'll.end up with wobbly tiles after a few weeks/months. 

Any tiling experts?

Easier if dead flat - is the wobble the floor alone or profile of the tiles, assuming the former if so getting it flat first will help a lot. Reasonably easy to screed dead flat,  this even more so if difficult to access and reach to lay /tweak all in one go without putting weight on tiles to get access. There are levelling devices (plastic lifters/setters) that are pretty much essential to get a good finish with dead flat surface tiles, more natural rounded/uneven edge tile product not so much of an issue. Generally the bigger the tile the thicker you want the adhesive and needs the right trowel notch dimensions.

My go to for any tiling is this guy, he's excellent. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, onlyme said:

Easier if dead flat - is the wobble the floor alone or profile of the tiles, assuming the former if so getting it flat first will help a lot. Reasonably easy to screed dead flat,  this even more so if difficult to access and reach to lay /tweak all in one go without putting weight on tiles to get access. There are levelling devices (plastic lifters/setters) that are pretty much essential to get a good finish with dead flat surface tiles, more natural rounded/uneven edge tile product not so much of an issue. Generally the bigger the tile the thicker you want the adhesive and needs the right trowel notch dimensions.

My go to for any tiling is this guy, he's excellent. 

Thanks onlyme. Going to lay a screed first.

• Agree 1

Levelling compound should do the trick for you.  I would recommend that you use good cement based tile adhesive, not ready mix.

Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail remember !

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Iamcynical said:

Levelling compound should do the trick for you.  I would recommend that you use good cement based tile adhesive, not ready mix.

No probs, as per  @Iamcynical, I should have said self levelling compound, a decent one with good latex content, much easier to lay - does depend a bit on how uneven the base is as may want to screed fill the deeper holes and then levelling compound. . Both for the levelling compound and adhesive to sick propelry make sure surfaces nice and clean and clear of dust.

On 06/03/2020 at 08:54, Iamcynical said:

Hmmm ready mix is ready to go...

Just now, Iamcynical said:

And more ready to fail also...

Oh boy are you so right about that. I was short on the Mapei for a final few bits of split tile on the wall,  so thought I'd go for a small tub of evostick (cheap in Wickes), 24 hours later still not set properly, what have they done with this stuff, absolutely  shite. Got refund and some slightly cheaper NX brand, think will be ok.  Have always gone for cement/powder based before as had always done so - copying what I had seen other tilers use.

13 minutes ago, choochoo said:

Hmmm ready mix is ready to go...

Might be wise to think again, see above!

1 hour ago, choochoo said:

The wife will be delighted at me delaying again 😄😄

You can have some shit from mine for delaying if you ever get short, I started this job then worked away for months and only finally getting round to finishing it. 

Glad you were caught in time as @Iamcynical is bang on the money as cannot believe how bad the tub of ready mixed I had was,  get it right first time and timing doesn't matter, you'll have a job that looks good and lasts. Takes twice as long if you get it wrong and have to do it again and utterly demoralising.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 months later...
crashmonitor
On 05/03/2020 at 14:43, choochoo said:

Wouldn't say it's a hobby as such.....but I've got some to lay.

They've all been cut and laid out, so that part is done.

It's a large porch, 2m x 1m, in an old house. Stone floor in reasonable condition, but not perfect due to being 130 years old.

Tiles have been dry laid and there is a wee bit of wobble here and there but nothing too bad.

Tile adhesive to be laid approx 4mm thick, which for me will take out the uneven areas before laying tiles, but will this just leave a problem and I'll.end up with wobbly tiles after a few weeks/months. 

Any tiling experts?

We lost one, Hannah. Remember her. ( another camper van lady) . Yes that really is Hannah. Don't know her personally but picked up her youtube channel after she left.

Edited by crashmonitor