• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Identify the insect

I keep finding these creatures in the office room. Or rather they keep finding me. They seem to drop from the ceiling and must have a hard "shell" as they make a noise when they land.

They're really tiny, maybe 4mm across. This is the best photo I can get with the camera zoomed in.

What are these things? Do they bite/sting?

insect.jpg

Best guess given the quality looks like a tick to me, although the long things at the front don't really fit but that could just be the way it's presented (on the old ones the front legs will be wider than the rest).

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLfPYFOxgbkVvLxPme2Lavow3R8qlCUdLitQtKSlceAEMxDKX2

If it is a tick, yes it bites and potentially very dangerous if it's carrying Lymes disease, of course could be something completely different (which I suspect it is).

8 hours ago, DTMark said:

I keep finding these creatures in the office room. Or rather they keep finding me. They seem to drop from the ceiling and must have a hard "shell" as they make a noise when they land.

They're really tiny, maybe 4mm across. This is the best photo I can get with the camera zoomed in.

What are these things? Do they bite/sting?

insect.jpg

Can you please supply a worse photo

(smaller magnification)

Must admit that tick was my first thought, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a tick. We pull those off our cats from time to time. They tend to be lighter in colour and look more like a ball shape with a spike sticking out of them (after they have been yanked out with the tick tool) and have very short legs.

These things seem to live on the ceiling and have only appeared after the recent showers. Periodically they fall off the ceiling, then move around a bit, and then seem to vanish.

They're so small that you can't make out the "antlers" without magnification. Those do suggest beetle to me (that and it must get on the ceiling somehow).

We don't have exposed beams in this room, and the things are only in this room.

However: at some point there has been damp coming through the ceiling just near the ceiling rose which has split the ceiling apart in a line, it seems to be made up of two stuck-on panels which are painted over, and it has "cracked along the line in the middle" e.g. those two panels have pulled apart slightly.

So it is possible that the things are "coming through the ceiling", the loft does have exposed beams, and their appearance could indeed be damp-related.

I shall get a better picture the next time one of them falls on the desk in front of me.

26 minutes ago, NTB said:

Definitely need a better photo but it's unlikely to be dangerous to you. You could try this:

https://www.amentsoc.org/insects/what-bug-is-this/adult-key.html

That leads me through a series of questions the answers to which suggest something in the order of Heteroptera, perhaps "shield bug".

The most significant thing seems to be that these are entirely black and glossy whereas most bugs are brown. The small size of these suggests these could perhaps be juveniles.

I've just gone to make coffee and returned and they've all vanished. It's where they've gone that bothers me :)

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

That leads me through a series of questions the answers to which suggest something in the order of Heteroptera, perhaps "shield bug".

The most significant thing seems to be that these are entirely black and glossy whereas most bugs are brown. The small size of these suggests these could perhaps be juveniles.

I've just gone to make coffee and returned and they've all vanished. It's where they've gone that bothers me :)

Just don't drink the last inch of your coffee :Sick1:

3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Migrant woodworm. An NGO is off-loading them in your ceiling.

37 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Shield bugs are so named because of the distinctive flattened shield like shape. They're usually green or camouflaged so it's probably not one.  If it's black, it's quite likely a beetle of some sort.

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Maybe this one?

Altica lythri

http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/altica-lythri

Entirely possible if it looks right. There are loads of little black beetles so identification can be difficult even for an expert which I am definitely not. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they eat the house it's your landlords problem.:)

53 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Are they connected with this?

2aa_b.thumb.jpg.b5c63b77a142148448cbaf40

A high point of the other place. 

Should put or collective brains together and form the "DOSBODS Detective Agency"