• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

swissy_fit

Deluded scrapper Cat "Owners" on Forums

This is my thread to win friends and influence people for the day :)

I submit for examination by the Dosbods panel that cat "owners" are every bit as deluded as the fat scrapper birds on dating sites that give this forum it's name.

Cats are animals, quite clever in an instinctive way, they have been shown to be capable of reading human emotions and manipulating people.

They are the equivalent of a human psychopath/sociopath, they have no sentiments whatsoever themselves regarding their human hosts.  (hosts being a better word than owners as it's the word used for parasitic relationships).   In exactly the same way, they change their behaviour to fit the new host and to get the most out of it. So a cat will behave quite differently in one house than in another. (ask your neighbours, cat owners)

Despite many cat owners being intelligent and knowing all this, they persist with believing in these creatures. It's like an abusive relationship, but the abuser is the cat! They love these pretty monsters, but their love will always be unrequited.  

Humans seem to be happiest when living one form of delusion or another, that's my only explanation - has anyone got a better one?

I never fed my cats and they were only allowed in the house if I was there. Fuss and company was all they got really so wasn't particularly one-sided. Their actual lives didn't alter greatly when I became their master/owner. I probably prefer dogs though and would not have considered having cats until I adopted some by accident.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I never fed my cats and they were only allowed in the house if I was there. Fuss and company was all they got really so wasn't particularly one-sided. Their actual lives didn't alter greatly when I became their master/owner. I probably prefer dogs though and would not have considered having cats until I adopted some by accident.

Nonetheless, you became attached, which means that a part of your consciousness bought into the delusion, whatever your brain was telling you.

We are vulnerable to this. Difficult to see the evolutionary advantage of being prone to attaching ourselves to pretty psychopaths of human or animal form, so not sure where it has come from.

13 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I've also had cats in the past that have been by and large self-sufficient so all they wanted off us was a bit of affection. 

Sure they can be selfish, but I enjoy their company more than most humans so what's the harm?

I can see the parallels with dosbods though. I've had one shit in the bed once. 

There's little harm as you say. (except to bird populations and if they give you toxiplasmosis :-) )  

If you get something out of it, imagined or not, who cares? I'm more curious about why we delude ourselves so much (and not just about cats)

They are graceful pretty creatures, but as a general rule if we knew a human that behaved like one (outside Red Dwarf) we wouldn't tolerate them.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I find many of the human/animal relationships that some people have in the UK downright weird and some of the athropomorphisising that goes on, kind of unhealthy.

Sorry. :ph34r:

Mr Tiddles says he wishes he could vote this down.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I find many of the human/animal relationships that some people have in the UK downright weird and some of the anthropomorphisising that goes on, kind of unhealthy.

Sorry. :ph34r:

At least people don't have sex with cats.

I hope.

Not Googling that.

24 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

I hope.

Not Googling that.

I think they would bleed out quite quickly if they tried.:Geek:

Kinda surprised that no one has mentioned yet the whole purpose, from my point of view, of owning a cat.  Mice.  I live out in the country so I  am surrounded by mice and if I didn't have a cat they would get in the house for sure.  With a cat the house is totally mouse free and those times between cats I had mice.  My neighbors all say the same thing so from my perspective a cat is an essential part of a house and although it can be cuddly and affectionate it does have a job to do.  My cats do their job by conspicuously sitting on the front porch, which I find amusing.  The damn cat does an essential job by just being there most of the time.  When it is actually called upon to catch a mouse it actually enjoys it.  If there is reincarnation I would opt to come back as a cat.  What a life! 

9 minutes ago, Snow bird said:

Kinda surprised that no one has mentioned yet the whole purpose, from my point of view, of owning a cat.  Mice.  I live out in the country so I  am surrounded by mice and if I didn't have a cat they would get in the house for sure.  With a cat the house is totally mouse free and those times between cats I had mice.  My neighbors all say the same thing so from my perspective a cat is an essential part of a house and although it can be cuddly and affectionate it does have a job to do.  My cats do their job by conspicuously sitting on the front porch, which I find amusing.  The damn cat does an essential job by just being there most of the time.  When it is actually called upon to catch a mouse it actually enjoys it.  If there is reincarnation I would opt to come back as a cat.  What a life! 

Get one of these, it will keep down the other spiders and bugs as well!

2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Get one of these, it will keep down the other spiders and bugs as well!

Over Inja side we had geckos for that.  Miss the critters but would probably drive the cat crazy.   Problem in the kitchen too.  They are highly poisonous and walk around on the ceiling so if a pot starts to boil under them they can get stunned and fall into the soup.  Just gotta keep lids on things, death by gecko not so good but sure kept the bugs down. 

3 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

I hope.

Not Googling that.

Not so sure about that.  A common local expression for something that is really good is to say it is "The cat's ass".  When questioned about it they do not connect it to sex but I have to wonder if the expression has pioneer origins.  Not Googling it either.   

I'll put my hands up to being deluded. I never really got the whole cat thing when I was younger. I always had dogs but never cats. For one reason and another I've now had 5 cats during my adult life and I will always have one as long as I have my own home.

I have a dog too but my enjoyment of cats is really down to how independent they are. Their lack of demands combined with their calming presence is a joy to me. The kids and the dog can be a drain but the cats never feel that way. 

Edited by Battenberg
Dyslexic fingers

My cat likes to sit with her head on my lap purring while I'm sat on the sofa. She'll do it to other people as well, but so what? Clearly, she enjoys human company; I'm not mental enough to be offended that she is not in love with me exclusively...O.o

On 7/20/2017 at 19:27, Rave said:

My cat likes to sit with her head on my lap purring while I'm sat on the sofa. She'll do it to other people as well, but so what? Clearly, she enjoys human company; I'm not mental enough to be offended that she is not in love with me exclusively...O.o

She's not in love with you at all, or anyone else. There's no bond, it's just whatever behaviour that her instincts/manipulations/reading_of_ your_reactions have told her is necessary for the food and protection to be forthcoming.

I would say that it depends upon the cat.

We had three family cats; not all at the same time.

• One was the furry psychopath.
  • One was affectionate but with a grasshopper mind so always running off somehwere.
  • One was totally devoted and really missed company; if a family member was in the garden they would always go to them.

The third was, needless to say, everyone's favourite.

2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

She's not in love with you at all, or anyone else. There's no bond, it's just whatever behaviour that her instincts/manipulations/reading_of_ your_reactions have told her is necessary for the food and protection to be forthcoming.

While there's little to be gained by arguing about cat psychology on the internet, I can't help but reply that I think you're crediting my cat with a level of intelligence and cunning that she simply doesn't possess. When she's hungry she stands by her feed bowl and wails, when she's not she comes and sits with us on the sofa because she likes company. I simply don't believe that she has the brainpower to think 'I'd better show some willing by sitting with them, otherwise they might not feed me tomorrow'.