DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Xboxes don't work.

longtomsilver

longtomsilver

I bought my son an xbox and it seems you can't actually play the games on Blueray that you buy for them.

One example, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare that I bought over a month ago. It requires updating seemingly every time you try to launch the game and then gets queued for infinity. It has actually never been able to play on my console. Updates are 30gb+ and if it manages to start an update it'll freeze around 28-30% in, everytime and without fail. 

I never had this issue on my ZX81 and the games were great. What happened? 

Game studios got greedy, and instead of testing their actual games and fixing bugs pre-release they now release unplayable buggy junk early, get the players to act as an army of free testers and then push out huge updates. I believe most games are considered unplayable for the first year.

Warning: I only play the odd very old game every blue moon, don't have a high power PC or console so all of the above could be complete shite I just made up.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

longtomsilver
8 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Game studios got greedy, and instead of testing their actual games and fixing bugs pre-release they now release unplayable buggy junk early, get the players to act as an army of free testers and then push out huge updates. I believe most games are considered unplayable for the first year.

Warning: I only play the odd very old game every blue moon, don't have a high power PC or console so all of the above could be complete shite I just made up.

That makes sense. It seems only the old games like GTA 5 and the odd 360 ones work . Profits before playability.

51 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I bought my son an xbox and it seems you can't actually play the games on Blueray that you buy for them.

One example, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare that I bought over a month ago. It requires updating seemingly every time you try to launch the game and then gets queued for infinity. It has actually never been able to play on my console. Updates are 30gb+ and if it manages to start an update it'll freeze around 28-30% in, everytime and without fail. 

I never had this issue on my ZX81 and the games were great. What happened? 

I found this incredibly annoying.  Both because I'm seemingly not buying what I think I'm buying, and also because the Xbox hammers our internet for a few hours every now and then.

I understand from son#1 that cloud gaming is 'the next big thing', which will make all these kinds of issues go away (ie, there's no 'loading' because it is all going on in a server-farm, not locally).

• Agree 2

I never can understand why patches are so huge. They're not for software, it's almost like you're downloading the whole game again every time there's an update or patch. Anyone know why they're always in the gigabytes ?

To be honest it puts me off gaming if I know I'll have to download a 20gb patch before I can actually play the thing. 

• Agree 2

Green Devil
On 16/03/2020 at 07:59, spunko said:

I never can understand why patches are so huge. They're not for software, it's almost like you're downloading the whole game again every time there's an update or patch. Anyone know why they're always in the gigabytes ?

To be honest it puts me off gaming if I know I'll have to download a 20gb patch before I can actually play the thing. 

A patch for modern games isn't really a patch any more. It's a complete download of a completely rewritten game (usually a 60gb plus download). 

Ive bought a few SH games, you pop the DVD in, it installs about 60gb, the advises you you need to wait overnight while the 60gb 'patch' downloads 

1 minute ago, Green Devil said:

A patch for modern games isn't really a patch any more. It's a complete download of a completely rewritten game (usually a 60gb plus download). 

Ive bought a few SH games, you pop the DVD in, it installs about 60gb, the advises you you need to wait overnight while the 60gb 'patch' downloads 

Yeah, but why is that, I don't understand why they can't patch it like they used to...

Green Devil
Just now, spunko said:

Yeah, but why is that, I don't understand why they can't patch it like they used to...

Not sure. Perhaps the compiler creates a compiled binary that's completely diff to the last binary so requires a full download. 

• 2 months later...

How fucked is your WiFi, installing a new game and the updates takes ten minutes. Maybe 20 if there's a load of screens watching YouTube round the house.

Hail the Tripod

My kids have unlinked the controllers from the Xbox and linked them to their iPads to play COD on them instead, so they don’t have the split screen issue. Annoying when I want to watch a DVD\Netflix through it.

Call of Duty is free on the iPad too.

3 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Grown men playing with children's toys.

Sad cunts...

XYY

You really are a proper thick cunt. 

Long toms post -   bought my son an xbox and it seems you can't actually play the games on Blueray that you buy for them.

Anyways has Mrs xyy had any cock through her recently? 

I have a few dark friends that are interested while me & you go fer a few cold ones:D