DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Fitness trackers / activity bands - anyone using them ?

Andersen

Anyone using these things? I picked one up last year just to keep track of my occasional hiking / swimming / cycling activities. What started as a bit of a novelty has become a part of my daily life. 

Type chosen : Huawei Band3 pro ( I like their kit, and any company that upsets uk.gov scores points with me)

Pro : great battery life, clear oled screen, gps, waterproof ( I wanted something I could use for kayaking & coastal swimming). Sleep monitor clearly shows when you don't get quality sleep (so you can work out what you need to change). Watch vibrates when you get an incoming call. Comfortable.

Con : software must be regiestered on a device with an active sim so it won't work on a tablet or laptop, upgrading to a  new smartphone can loose history. The watch stores 7 days history so you must connect & download the data at least weekly or you loose it.

https://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/10-best-fitness-trackers-1277905

footnote : my life changed a few months ago, cutting back the nights out (lots of dark ale) and being on my feet and moving around most of the day has done wonders for getting me back into shape !

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis

I use and am very happy with a Fitbit Charge 3 c £100.

It doesn't have the GPS and I don't know about longevity (nine months so far) but it is waterproof, slimline, does steps, climbs, pulse (inc. long term resting monitoring), sleep.

Battery about seven days though I haven't run it to zero and whilst the strap that comes with it is a bit rubbish and has limited life there are loads of cheap and better aftermarket straps.

feature-2.jpg

I may syep up to a GPS tracker at some point as that seems a genuine plus.

I have a Garmin Vivo active 3. I only use it when doing activities but others use as a daily thing. 

It's really good. Running, swimming even golf on it. Syncs to my phone easily and loads of good data / Map's etc. 

• 4 weeks later...
The Masked Tulip

I track my neighbours when they go running or cycling. It is a great opportunity to go nick their toilet rolls or bonk the frustrated housewives.

• 2 months later...

I had a Fitbit.  Not happy to find out I had to pay extra for some stuff and the lack of privacy re. Google, etc.

Anyways it broke so received a replacement FOC.  Then the strap broke and the replacement did not fit.

Very much happier without it yet I now know what I need to know.

Edited by Harley

stop_the_craziness

I use Garmin and Strava apps when I'm actually exercising, but not a full-time tracker.  I don't see the benefit to me to knowing the other stuff and I don't like the idea of effectively wearing an electronic tag.  For example I know how long I sleep by noticing the time I go to bed and the time I get up ;)

2 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I use Garmin and Strava apps when I'm actually exercising, but not a full-time tracker.  I don't see the benefit to me to knowing the other stuff and I don't like the idea of effectively wearing an electronic tag.  For example I know how long I sleep by noticing the time I go to bed and the time I get up ;)

Yep same. What Garmin do you have ? 

Mine occasionally gets very dodgy tracking which is rather annoying as I'm not sure of my pace accurately.

It's generally decent but sometimes way off. Like 4-500 metres.

I have a Garmin 245, does everything I need and more.

It is my 2nd Garmin, only grumble is that the straps dont last, last garmin got through 3 before I upgraded, and 245 strap looks just as inadequate.

stop_the_craziness
3 hours ago, ccc said:

Yep same. What Garmin do you have ? 

Mine occasionally gets very dodgy tracking which is rather annoying as I'm not sure of my pace accurately.

It's generally decent but sometimes way off. Like 4-500 metres.

I have an Edge 510.  I've had it since about 2013 and it's always been perfect. I'm not sure what the modern equivalent would be.  I like the fact you can customise the display to only show the things you want to see and you can have multiple bikes set up on it at the same time that you can just flip between. 

Obviously Strava and Garmin never agree on the distance so I just believe whoever gives me the bigger number that day!

• Informative 1

• 3 months later...
Fully Detached
On 13/03/2020 at 09:13, Frank Hovis said:

I use and am very happy with a Fitbit Charge 3 c £100.

It doesn't have the GPS and I don't know about longevity (nine months so far) but it is waterproof, slimline, does steps, climbs, pulse (inc. long term resting monitoring), sleep.

Battery about seven days though I haven't run it to zero and whilst the strap that comes with it is a bit rubbish and has limited life there are loads of cheap and better aftermarket straps.

feature-2.jpg

I may syep up to a GPS tracker at some point as that seems a genuine plus.

@Frank Hovis how do you feel about the Fitbit a few months on? I'm looking at the Charge 4 but am wondering if I'm being sold on some features that maybe would turn out to be not that useful after all. Fitbit make a model that's £40 cheaper and the only major differences are that the GPS is not built in and that it does not have the fitness intensity map. Those things don't seem massively important to me but if they're useful then I guess it's only £40. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

@Frank Hovis how do you feel about the Fitbit a few months on? I'm looking at the Charge 4 but am wondering if I'm being sold on some features that maybe would turn out to be not that useful after all. Fitbit make a model that's £40 cheaper and the only major differences are that the GPS is not built in and that it does not have the fitness intensity map. Those things don't seem massively important to me but if they're useful then I guess it's only £40. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mine is Fitbit Charge 3.

It needs a reboot every couple of months when it stops synching and you can't swipe away from the watch face (rebooting is easy - hold down the button when in the charger until you get a smiley - it doesn't lose any data or stop recording when it "freezes" like this) but other than that it's good and I've had no other problems.

Steps and climbs are accurate, pulse is great and I like the way it reports resting pulse so that you can see your underlying fitness.

The best bit I would say is that it is so slim and lighweight, with the new strap - see below, that you really don't know you're wearing it.  Prior to this I always took my watch off before going to bed and I don't do this now.

The silicon strap that comes with it I didn't like and it anyway split after a year.  Aftermarket straps are much better.  The one I bought is linked below and it's so comfortable that I really don't know that I'm wearing it.

I would recommend splashing out the £4 if you buy the Fitbit and replacing the official strap with that below.

s-l300.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Fitbit-Charge-2-3-Soft-Silicone-Replacement-Spare-Sport-Band-Bracelet-Strap/193401932655?hash=item2d07a74b6f:g:-WcAAOSw6NVeNCSl

I haven't tried out the waterproofness though I have worn it in the shower with no problem.

At present I wouldn't use GPS but maybe I will want this when I start building up my walking to areas that I don't know.

• Informative 1

Fully Detached
29 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Mine is Fitbit Charge 3.

It needs a reboot every couple of months when it stops synching and you can't swipe away from the watch face (rebooting is easy - hold down the button when in the charger until you get a smiley - it doesn't lose any data or stop recording when it "freezes" like this) but other than that it's good and I've had no other problems.

Steps and climbs are accurate, pulse is great and I like the way it reports resting pulse so that you can see your underlying fitness.

The best bit I would say is that it is so slim and lighweight, with the new strap - see below, that you really don't know you're wearing it.  Prior to this I always took my watch off before going to bed and I don't do this now.

The silicon strap that comes with it I didn't like and it anyway split after a year.  Aftermarket straps are much better.  The one I bought is linked below and it's so comfortable that I really don't know that I'm wearing it.

I would recommend splashing out the £4 if you buy the Fitbit and replacing the official strap with that below.

s-l300.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Fitbit-Charge-2-3-Soft-Silicone-Replacement-Spare-Sport-Band-Bracelet-Strap/193401932655?hash=item2d07a74b6f:g:-WcAAOSw6NVeNCSl

I haven't tried out the waterproofness though I have worn it in the shower with no problem.

At present I wouldn't use GPS but maybe I will want this when I start building up my walking to areas that I don't know.

Excellent, thanks Frank. I'm fairly settled on a Fitbit as it seems a better all round product for my needs, rather than say a Gamin being better suited to runners. I can't quite decide whether to do the extra £40 for a couple of bells I do want and a load of whistles that I don't, so I'll have a think over the next couple of days. My decision might be influenced by the fact that I've just discovered a load of splits in the soles of my walking boots, so I suppose a new pair is on the list at some point. I never quite seem to run out of things I have to spend money on :CryBaby:

• Agree 1

Fully Detached

I ended up going for the Fitbit Charge 4 and quite glad I spent the extra. The GPS brings a whole new level to the data you get from a hike or whatever, and I am a data whore so I made the right choice. I don't know what the long term quality is likely to be - the first unit was pretty much dead on arrival so had to be replaced, so I hope they aren't really cheap and shitty.

ETA to get myself back to where I want to be is only about 2 months, so if it lasts that long we're all good. Then if it's still working I can offer it to Mrs. Detached and see if she wants it :P

• Informative 1

Fully Detached

Got down to a bit of nookie with Mrs. Detached last night. Afterwards my fitbit informed me that it had successfully identified the exercise I had undertaken. Apparently we went outdoor biking.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3

6 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

Got down to a bit of nookie with Mrs. Detached last night. Afterwards my fitbit informed me that it had successfully identified the exercise I had undertaken. Apparently we went outdoor biking.

Tandem. 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

swiss_democracy_for_all
10 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

Come on, spill the beans, give us the workout figures!

(though to be fair the only real judges should be Mrs Detached and yourself)

Also you can look out for any strange outdoor biking workouts on her fitbit....

:)

• Lol 1

Fully Detached
10 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Come on, spill the beans, give us the workout figures!

(though to be fair the only real judges should be Mrs Detached and yourself)

Also you can look out for any strange outdoor biking workouts on her fitbit....

:)

I'll just say that the heart rate graph was quite interesting, and leave it at that :)

But you make a good point - the Fitbit allows you to connect with friends so they can see your workouts and achievements. Thankfully I hadn't connected with anybody last night, otherwise they might have wondered what I was doing outdoor biking at 10.30 on a Saturday night. For 17 seconds... xD

• Lol 1

On 18/10/2020 at 20:56, Fully Detached said:

I'll just say that the heart rate graph was quite interesting, and leave it at that :)

But you make a good point - the Fitbit allows you to connect with friends so they can see your workouts and achievements. Thankfully I hadn't connected with anybody last night, otherwise they might have wondered what I was doing outdoor biking at 10.30 on a Saturday night. For 17 seconds... xD

You went twice?

• Lol 2
  • Cheers 1