DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Self isolators thread

This Time

I've been self isolating since Monday morning as I have health issues. Husband's office is closed since yesterday as ten people we're at a conference with a known case last week. We're now both self isolating due to mild coughs.

I made til yesterday before cracking open the medicinal Brandy at 8am (French coffee) after my husband got the call. Annoyingly we've been caught on the hop fresh food wise as he forgot to go shopping on the way home on Wednesday (fridge has been mostly crammed to bursting the last month). Can't get a supermarket delivery til Monday.

Edited by This Time
  • Agree 1

Best of luck.

Today is my last day in work for a week. I'm on leave next week and then the week after that I plan on working from home - my employer doesn't support this at the moment but I'm hoping they will be more flexible in 10 days time. If they're still against it, I'm gonna stand my ground - I doubt they'll fire me over it. They should have sent us home 2 weeks ago.

While I'm away from the office I will be avoiding crowded places, shops cafes ect...but I'll go for a walk for an hour or so every day along the water and around the nearest park - not many people around and I'm not going to lock myself in my small apartment all day every day at the moment.

@This Time - are you planning to leave the house at all?

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

Best of luck.

Today is my last day in work for a week. I'm on leave next week and then the week after that I plan on working from home - my employer doesn't support this at the moment but I'm hoping they will be more flexible in 10 days time. If they're still against it, I'm gonna stand my ground - I doubt they'll fire me over it.

While I'm away from the office I will be avoiding crowded places, shops cafes ect...but I'll go for a walk for an hour or so every day along the water and around the nearest park - not many people around and I'm not going to lock myself in my small apartment all day every day at the moment.

Nope, not going further than the garden - haven't since a 7am supply run on Monday morning. I'd normally be going stir crazy by now but I'm doing alright. I've bought a cross trainer as a substitute for going for a walk (half assembled this morning).

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, This Time said:

I've been self isolating since Monday morning as I have health issues. Husband's office is closed since yesterday as ten people we're at a conference with a known case last week. We're now both self isolating due to mild coughs.

I made til yesterday before cracking open the medicinal Brandy at 8am (French coffee) after my husband got the call. Annoyingly we've been caught on the hop fresh food wise as he forgot to go shopping on the way home on Wednesday (fridge has been mostly crammed to bursting the last month). Can't get a supermarket delivery til Monday.

Can't see any problem with getting deliveries for a good while yet, just delays,  reckon reasonable number already stocking up at home so the JIT system must be pushing much more through.  Either that or go 24 hour shop early in morning - should be well stocked before the weekend.

We're near Malaga....serious problems here. It's going like Italy. Friend who's wife works in hospital at Almeria says it's full.

Going north and gonna hunker down in countryside. Just getting away from people if possible. 

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, Wahoo said:

Going north and gonna hunker down in countryside. Just getting away from people if possible. 

If numbers rise in Belfast I'm gonna move from the city centre out to my folks house in suburbia. Might do that anyway this weekend.

I remember @wherebee telling people to escape the cities a few weeks back and he was right. Now's a good time to have a house, or access to a house somewhere remote rather than a city centre slavebox.

Frank Hovis

If numbers rise in Belfast I'm gonna move from the city centre out to my folks house in suburbia. Might do that anyway this weekend.

I remember @wherebee telling people to escape the cities a few weeks back and he was right. Now's a good time to have a house, or access to a house somewhere remote rather than a city centre slavebox.

I think everybody would like to leave work for a couple of months and move out to the countryside; not many have that option!  It's not because they're being reckless.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think everybody would like to leave work for a couple of months and move out to the countryside; not many have that option!  It's not because they're being reckless.

Oh I know.

And I'm not talking about leaving work - I'm happy to work remotely which I can, without putting myself at greatly increased danger of getting this.

I appreciate that many/most jobs can't be done remotely.

• Agree 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
50 minutes ago, This Time said:

Are you still living off pounds of cheap mince?

6 minutes ago, muggle said:

I've been self isolating and avoiding the human race as much as possible for the last twenty years :P

This is why i've got zero sympathy for those in isolation, banging on about how hard it is being on their own......... That's my idea of heaven, I can pick who converse with online and not have to tolerate the 90% of the population who are utter fucking morons.

• Agree 10

28 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Can't see any problem with getting deliveries for a good while yet, just delays,  reckon reasonable number already stocking up at home so the JIT system must be pushing much more through.  Either that or go 24 hour shop early in morning - should be well stocked before the weekend.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the chance of a delivery driver having it at the moment is very small but the chance of someone who's been in the supermarket or bus in the last few hours/days having it is fairly high. Our nearest 24 hour supermarket is a good 25 minute walk so I wouldn't be able to carry a lot plus we are actually self isolating due to illness. Although my symptoms did start more than a week ago so theoretically I could go out.

4 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Are you still living off pounds of cheap mince?

I only did the mince for a short period. I did all meat for a whole year though. It did work to reset my digestive system - my digestion is pretty much perfect now except for some mild constipation which is likely caused by mild dehydration due to my anti-diuretic hormone deficiency.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
1 minute ago, This Time said:

I only did the mince for a short period. I did all meat for a whole year though. It did work to reset my digestive system - my digestion is pretty much perfect now except for some mild constipation which is likely caused by mild dehydration due to my anti-diuretic hormone deficiency.

That's a good result from where you were, and will doubtless help you deal with Covid19. 

58 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Best of luck.

Today is my last day in work for a week. I'm on leave next week and then the week after that I plan on working from home - my employer doesn't support this at the moment but I'm hoping they will be more flexible in 10 days time. If they're still against it, I'm gonna stand my ground - I doubt they'll fire me over it. They should have sent us home 2 weeks ago.

Do you mean they don't have the technical support for it (VPNs, remote access, video conference facilities etc) or that they just don't want you to do it?

13 minutes ago, Snark said:

This is why i've got zero sympathy for those in isolation, banging on about how hard it is being on their own......... That's my idea of heaven, I can pick who converse with online and not have to tolerate the 90% of the population who are utter fucking morons.

You only say that because you've never spent time alone with me!

2 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Do you mean they don't have the technical support for it (VPNs, remote access, video conference facilities etc) or that they just don't want you to do it?

They don't have tech support at the scale they need it.....but also they don't want us to do it cause they essentially don't trust us not to just skive.

I think their hand will be forced soon.

Edited by JoeDavola

They don't have tech support at the scale they need it.....but also they don't want us to do it cause they essentially don't trust us not to just skive.

I think their hand will be forced soon.

I have some sympathy with the first point - no excuse for not working on the scaling up part right now of course - but the second is ludicrous. Just from an economic & risk perspective it's ridiculous. I mean, what's worse, the risk that a few people will use it as an excuse to skive (most won't of course) or the risk that the entire office goes down with a really serious disease more or less at the same time? 

5 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I have some sympathy with the first point - no excuse for not working on the scaling up part right now of course - but the second is ludicrous. Just from an economic & risk perspective it's ridiculous. I mean, what's worse, the risk that a few people will use it as an excuse to skive (most won't of course) or the risk that the entire office goes down with a really serious disease more or less at the same time? 

There is one core team in a small but open plan office, in a higher risk area (i.e. higher risk of getting the virus). They could have told this small but important team to work from home 2 weeks ago, but didn't.

If one person gets it in this team, everyone will have it and you lose the whole team and an important business function will be effectively disabled.

Edited by JoeDavola

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

There is one core team in a small but open plan office, in a higher risk area. They could have told this small but important team to work from home 2 weeks ago, but didn't.

If one person gets it in this team, everyone will have it and you lose the whole team and an important business function will be effectively disabled.

Tell them that Amazon has told everyone who can to work from home. Jeff is smarter and richer than they are so he must be right.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

There is one core team in a small but open plan office, in a higher risk area. They could have told this small but important team to work from home 2 weeks ago, but didn't.

There might be quite a few companies that embrace this and find it works, they will scavenge all the best employees as the packages they will be able to offer with the reduced office space, flexible working, living/working locations won't be matched at the same/less cost.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Tell them that Amazon has told everyone who can to work from home. Jeff is smarter and richer than they are so he must be right.

They know that. Weak management are following government advice and doing no thinking for themselves.

The risk profile will be much higher again in a weeks time after a big chunk of the city has spent 48 hours crammed into every bar in Belfast for St Patrick's day spitting and coughing over eachother.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

Joe, the period between infecting others and showing symptoms can be 3 weeks. For your parents sake, live in the garden shed (or a local bnb) for the best part of a month first. Just in case.

You've said that you would like to be a remote worker in your niche field. While living with your parents, you have enough cash reserves to last 10 years or more. That's plenty of time to:

1) Establish yourself as 'Joe the Niche'. The go to in your field

Or, just in case clients no longer want the IT version of a thatched cottage:

2) 'Joe has found a new niche'.

Not much you can't learn in 10 years.

If you tell your current employer that you are a remote worker from now on, what they going to do? They can go bust long before you start going hungry.

• Agree 3

I've woken up feeling a bit peaky so reluctantly am staying in until I recover. Of course now I'm developing a tickly cough and a headache which I suspect are entirely psychosomatic.

• Agree 3

Sounds like heaven..

Work laptop open under the pretence that it’s actually being used..  then a family bucket of KFC,  The Division 2 (purchased on special offer for £2.50), xvideos netflix and a bucket of beer on ice.

What’s not to like!?

Too bad I’ve got a butt load of work I actually need to be doing instead :(