• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Putting this out to the Dosbods massive before I decide how to proceed.

Youngest came home from school yesterday, year 8 (12-13) and told me they'd had a lady in from Show Racism the Red Card. We discussed what she'd talked about and apparently she had been saying to the kids that it was wrong that the white man who ran down those Asians wasn't called a terrorist but the "black man" who carried out the Manchester attack, or Westminster attack was referred to as a terrorist and in her opinion this was wrong. 

Firstly im pissed that this was even discussed by some fucking nobody with a bunch of impressionable young kids, secondly I don't know it's that relevant to their campaign and thirdly there was no teacher present to oversee what was being said, they were just carted into the classroom with a stranger who had some strong opinions. 

Mr B popped into school yesterday to discuss it but got fobbed of with the 'welfare woman' who I refer to as Mrs Beads, softly spoken, social worker type who said she would have a word with my son. Mr B said that she should be having a word with whoever arranged it to find out exactly what was said. It's 2 days until they break up and I fear this will just get swept under the carpet if I don't investigate it further. 

AIBU? 

3 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Putting this out to the Dosbods massive before I decide how to proceed.

Youngest came home from school yesterday, year 8 (12-13) and told me they'd had a lady in from Show Racism the Red Card. We discussed what she'd talked about and apparently she had been saying to the kids that it was wrong that the white man who ran down those Asians wasn't called a terrorist but the "black man" who carried out the Manchester attack, or Westminster attack was referred to as a terrorist and in her opinion this was wrong. 

Firstly im pissed that this was even discussed by some fucking nobody with a bunch of impressionable young kids, secondly I don't know it's that relevant to their campaign and thirdly there was no teacher present to oversee what was being said, they were just carted into the classroom with a stranger who had some strong opinions. 

Mr B popped into school yesterday to discuss it but got fobbed of with the 'welfare woman' who I refer to as Mrs Beads, softly spoken, social worker type who said she would have a word with my son. Mr B said that she should be having a word with whoever arranged it to find out exactly what was said. It's 2 days until they break up and I fear this will just get swept under the carpet if I don't investigate it further. 

AIBU? 

The first question to ask if the person was left alone with young children was whether she had had an advanced dbs check.  Had the school checked it and where is the evidence that they had (it should be recorded somewhere along with the person's dbs number. 

Definately YANBU.

I'd not have too much of a problem with discussions about racism (but do they really have to 'bring someone in' to do it?) however it is absolutely not their place to be giving personal opinions.

It's fine to say racism is wrong but to start going off about what you personally disagreed with on the previous nights news is unprofessional as fuck. 

Wouldn't surprise me if she'd slipped a 'Tories are bad kids, mmmkay' in there somewhere either

I would be donning my bollocking hat.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

19 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Why is racism wrong? People have in-group preference for a reason, the out-group can be bloody dangerous! Antiracism is Marxist thinking which has become so all pervasive that we don't even see anymore. I bet the teachers don't consider themselves Marxists but that is what they teach. 

Sadly I don't think there's anything you can do about it apart from trying to teach your children to think critically and wait for the edifice of lies to come crashing down under the weight of its own contradictions. 

People are more easy with other people from a similar background.

Foreign people smell bad and eat flies, and snails, and don't  do Heavy Metal properly.

28 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Why is racism wrong? People have in-group preference for a reason, the out-group can be bloody dangerous! Antiracism is Marxist thinking which has become so all pervasive that we don't even see anymore. I bet the teachers don't consider themselves Marxists but that is what they teach. 

Sadly I don't think there's anything you can do about it apart from trying to teach your children to think critically and wait for the edifice of lies to come crashing down under the weight of its own contradictions. 

I see your point but in a school context it could almost akin to bullying - and the more I think about it, the more I think it should be taught under this umbrella rather than have it's own specific category. The goal is to get kids to not outright hate every johnny foreigner they see but also not to be naive and wary enough to recognise that that person may not have the same way of thinking or behavioural standards and act accordingly. Common sense, grown-up stuff really for anyone who considers themself even slightly worldly.

Not the easiest thing to do but I certainly dont think they need the 'racism guru' to be telling them what's what.

Please offer to attend each & every one of your child's remaining lessons when there's a guest speaker, while they remain at school. Advise that the family solicitor has suggested it. Point out that they will need to forewarn all such visitors that their talks will be recorded.

There's no harm in coming across as bat shit crazy when it comes to your kids' welfare. Make it difficult for the school to expose your children to idiots.

You are over reacting. Teenagers tend to take the opposite view of what they are told to think.

They are not as thick, or as polarised, as we think they are. 

Your kid discussed it with you. That means they weren't entirely sure about what they were being fed. 

You obviously have dialogue so discuss it. Put both sides, fairly.

Teach them that whatever conclusion they come to is OK so long as they have applied logic and fact before finalising their opinion.

Marching up to the school will just get you branded a trouble maker. As far as your kids are concerned, your outlook and opinion carries far more weight than some strange visitor. Use that wisely.

BTW my eldest is currently slightly right of Ghengis Khan. He baits his economics teacher on a daily basis. But that is mellowing slowly with help.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

People are more easy with other people from a similar background.

Foreign people smell bad and eat flies, and snails, and don't  do Heavy Metal properly.

But but Lemmy had a Welsh guitarist in his band and heavy metal is having a renascence period in South America leading to Bruce Dickinson needing bigger pockets 

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Welsh Metal? Like Budgie?

You sir have good taste and i will have you know a mates father was the base player and  the lead singer used to sell me records from spillers  record shop when i was a youngster.... they are the greatest band that never was 

BTW i believe the lead singer still works in a Cardiff  musical instrument store  or perhaps he has retired on his royalties from Metallicas cover of Breadfan 

I feel for you Battenburg as I had a similarly shocking experience last weekend. I was helping at a Cub Scout camp (my first time) and whilst sitting around the camp fire I overhead a group of 7 year olds talking very authoritatively about Donald Trump and how he was a misogynist narcissist racist. While I was impressed that a seven year old could actually pronouce those words, I couldn't let it lie so I asked how they knew POTUS was a racist, the timid reply from one was that they had seen him be racist. Not wanting to be politcal on my first camp and get into trouble I asked them what a mysogynist and a narcassist was, none of them knew and all did the look at the ground knowing they had been caught out by an adult. Pressing further I found out it was what they had been told about at the local school by more than one teacher.

Let me repeat, these were seven year olds in the home counties, all middle class and English.

Just what the fuck are they teaching the kids about?

As has been said earlier press for the DBS evidence and insist that you be given notice so that you can remove your kids from any future non curicular politically biased "talks" from non teaching staff. I would consider lodging an official complaint with the local education authority as well if the school bury your concerns. If lucky you might end up being sent on one of those de-radicalisation courses which sound like a hoot.

32 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

You sir have good taste and i will have you know a mates father was the base player and  the lead singer used to sell me records from spillers  record shop when i was a youngster.... they are the greatest band that never was 

BTW i believe the lead singer still works in a Cardiff  musical instrument store  or perhaps he has retired on his royalties from Metallicas cover of Breadfan 

I believe that type of heavy rock is a lost art.

The Metallica cover is not a patch on the original

Apparently Budgie were stymied in there attempts to make it big because the OGWT was for some reason reluctant to have them on the show. 

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=54H3EUAzpVg

A

Edited by Flirtygirty