• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Recommended Posts

Thoughts I'd consult the hive mind as exhausted all other avenues!

anyone suffer from/got any hints on early morning insomnia?

For years I've woken up after 4-5 hours sleep. Have absolutely no issue getting to sleep, but then I ping awake typically 4-5am. Toss and¬†turn for an hour or so then eventually give up and get up. Wouldn't mind so much if I felt refreshed but I can feel the tiredness seeping in slowly through the day. After waking at 4 I'm exhausted now ūüėĒ

Its not everyday but 3-4 a week. It totally ruins my day, can't concentrate at work, can't be bothered to exercise, want to eat junk food all day. Feel 100x better on the rare nights I sleep well, it's like im a different person.

ive researched this for months, tried every drug, supplement and routine going, nothing has helped. My latest thoughts are it is stress related. My job isn't that stressful, but I am quite sensitive to this stuff. I always sleep well Sunday nights but Thursday/ Friday is by far the worst.

Anyone ever suffered? for what its worth I sleep in a dark room, don't use screens in the hours before bed, only drink caffeine first thing, excercise daily, and eat a relatively healthy diet. Alcohol makes it much worse. hot baths, milk, lavender, and a whole host of supplements and legal and not so legal drugs have had no effect so far. 

save me!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suffered from this for years. 4am and there I am wide awake.  The following has helped me so may be of use:

  • stress comes from everywhere, it may not be your job. ¬†I also find it comes from excitement, so a new project I'm working on or something that really interests me. ¬†The issue is not stress per se but something that's getting the mind working and you can't switch it off
  • dont worry about it, it will make it worse. See it as normal. ¬†Plenty of people (thatcher, Churchill) got by on very little sleep
  • strategy one. ¬†Get a pillow speaker so you don't disturb others and then feel guilty which will make it worse. Get a kindle with a back light for the same reason
  • strategy two. Read your kindle, listen to the radio, listen to audio book. ¬†Different things work at different times. ¬†If it's working, you should feel sleepy in 5-10minutes. If not cycle to something else don't use a backlit screen for reading such as a tablet, it will make you more awake
  • strategy three. Counting sheep. ¬†Seriously. But you need to find the internal video that works for you. ¬†Me, it's kind of sliding up a grassy slope, kind of dalek like. ¬†Don't ask, I have not a clue but it can work
  • strategy four. If none of these work, go with the flow
5 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

LBC radio. Steve Allen. You will drift back to sleep quite happily.

Works for me anyway.

 

See my extended strategy.  A bit like a recipe. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok some suggestions.

More sex.

Get a delusional object of affection (a cat), they calm some people, see other thread.

Don't eat on evenings where you must sleep. (Works for me)

Get up, don't lie there fretting, and do something that you don't really want to. Your brain will send you back to bed pronto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Suffered from this for years. 4am and there I am wide awake.  The following has helped me so may be of use:

  • stress comes from everywhere, it may not be your job. ¬†I also find it comes from excitement, so a new project I'm working on or something that really interests me. ¬†The issue is not stress per se but something that's getting the mind working and you can't switch it off
  • dont worry about it, it will make it worse. See it as normal. ¬†Plenty of people (thatcher, Churchill) got by on very little sleep
  • strategy one. ¬†Get a pillow speaker so you don't disturb others and then feel guilty which will make it worse. Get a kindle with a back light for the same reason
  • strategy two. Read your kindle, listen to the radio, listen to audio book. ¬†Different things work at different times. ¬†If it's working, you should feel sleepy in 5-10minutes. If not cycle to something else don't use a backlit screen for reading such as a tablet, it will make you more awake
  • strategy three. Counting sheep. ¬†Seriously. But you need to find the internal video that works for you. ¬†Me, it's kind of sliding up a grassy slope, kind of dalek like. ¬†Don't ask, I have not a clue but it can work
  • strategy four. If none of these work, go with the flow

See my extended strategy.  A bit like a recipe. xD

See, when I am excited about things I usually struggle to get TO sleep. I don't understand why stress/whatever causes me to wake early, I was quite happily asleep, why does my stupid brain tell me I need to wake up and make me suffer all day??

re the kindle/speaker thing. A lot I have read says you should only use bed for sleep, and that if you can't sleep you should get up, so that's what I always do. Kinda makes sense.. may have a go at the reading thing though 

seeing it as normal is ok, but I definitely don't feel normal on days where I haven't slept. Appreciate I can survive on a few hours sleep, but it's not very nice.

I do obsess over it but that's because I really want to find a solution ūüė≠ūüėī

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is normal to wake up at about 3am.  It was the Victorians that invented the concept of the 'sleeping all night'.  Just do as they did in the pre-Victorian era -- read, write, have sex, then after 30mins to an hour go back to your (second) sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Workingfortheman  I have the same issue as you, with the added problem of also finding it very difficult to get to sleep :(

On the very rare occasions that I get a decent sleep, and that would be anything more than four or five hours, I feel amazing. I'd love to be able to feel like that every day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, One percent said:

Suffered from this for years. 4am and there I am wide awake.  The following has helped me so may be of use:

  • stress comes from everywhere, it may not be your job. ¬†I also find it comes from excitement, so a new project I'm working on or something that really interests me. ¬†The issue is not stress per se but something that's getting the mind working and you can't switch it off
  • dont worry about it, it will make it worse. See it as normal. ¬†Plenty of people (thatcher, Churchill) got by on very little sleep
  • strategy one. ¬†Get a pillow speaker so you don't disturb others and then feel guilty which will make it worse. Get a kindle with a back light for the same reason
  • strategy two. Read your kindle, listen to the radio, listen to audio book. ¬†Different things work at different times. ¬†If it's working, you should feel sleepy in 5-10minutes. If not cycle to something else don't use a backlit screen for reading such as a tablet, it will make you more awake
  • strategy three. Counting sheep. ¬†Seriously. But you need to find the internal video that works for you. ¬†Me, it's kind of sliding up a grassy slope, kind of dalek like. ¬†Don't ask, I have not a clue but it can work
  • strategy four. If none of these work, go with the flow

See my extended strategy.  A bit like a recipe. xD

If I could have written this post, I would have - pretty much word for word what I would say as a fellow sufferer.

Couple of things I would add - meditation, never a bad time to do it, and since the object is to empty your mind, then by default it's going to remove the thing your mind is buzzing over.

Also, you say you're not stressed and that excitement normally helps you sleep. But in certain circumstances excitement is a stress, and though you might get off to sleep easily, it'll be hard to get back to it once you wake naturally, for example needing a pee, or:

Sleep Apnoea. Have you got a partner, as that's usually how you know you've got it. They get in a massive panic that you've died on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fully Detached said:

If I could have written this post, I would have - pretty much word for word what I would say as a fellow sufferer.

Couple of things I would add - meditation, never a bad time to do it, and since the object is to empty your mind, then by default it's going to remove the thing your mind is buzzing over.

Also, you say you're not stressed and that excitement normally helps you sleep. But in certain circumstances excitement is a stress, and though you might get off to sleep easily, it'll be hard to get back to it once you wake naturally, for example needing a pee, or:

Sleep Apnoea. Have you got a partner, as that's usually how you know you've got it. They get in a massive panic that you've died on them.

Interesting that as I've stumbled on my approach through trial and error, your approach is similar. I've not tried meditation,it seems like too much effort to perfect the technique. If you have ant tips, I'll give it a go.. 

no, excitement is the same as stress, it stops me going back to sleep. As you say, it keeps the mind whirring. 

My partner would probably be delighted, rather than panicked if I died on them. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Interesting that as I've stumbled on my approach through trial and error, your approach is similar. I've not tried meditation,it seems like too much effort to perfect the technique. If you have ant tips, I'll give it a go.. 

no, excitement is the same as stress, it stops me going back to sleep. As you say, it keeps the mind whirring. 

My partner would probably be delighted, rather than panicked if I died on them. xD

I have one tip - give it a go.

I don't know if it's even possible to perfect the technique of meditation - but even complete beginners can get some huge benefits out of it without being particularly practised. The key thing is not to fight the thoughts that come into your head, but to accept them and then gently move them aside, repeatedly if you have to. But if a thought comes that you just can't get rid of don't get annoyed. When I started I found that in 20 minutes of meditation I might get 30-60 seconds of complete emptiness. But that 30-60 seconds was so fantastic, I just kept on going. Now I only get 30-60 seconds of emptiness but that might happen multiple times during a meditation session.

One other interesting thing I often find is that the thing you thought was troubling you is actually just a symptom of something else. It's a great clarifier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I have one tip - give it a go.

I don't know if it's even possible to perfect the technique of meditation - but even complete beginners can get some huge benefits out of it without being particularly practised. The key thing is not to fight the thoughts that come into your head, but to accept them and then gently move them aside, repeatedly if you have to. But if a thought comes that you just can't get rid of don't get annoyed. When I started I found that in 20 minutes of meditation I might get 30-60 seconds of complete emptiness. But that 30-60 seconds was so fantastic, I just kept on going. Now I only get 30-60 seconds of emptiness but that might happen multiple times during a meditation session.

One other interesting thing I often find is that the thing you thought was troubling you is actually just a symptom of something else. It's a great clarifier.

Cheers, will give it a go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is normal to wake up at about 3am.  It was the Victorians that invented the concept of the 'sleeping all night'.  Just do as they did in the pre-Victorian era -- read, write, have sex, then after 30mins to an hour go back to your (second) sleep.

Louis XIV basically is responsible for women having babies on their backs. He got off his jollies on watching women give birth. The traditional - i,e. normal way - meant that he could not get his jollies so he ordered that a new way of women giving birth was found so that he could watch and get off.

Most people don't know this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Louis XIV basically is responsible for women having babies on their backs. He got off his jollies on watching women give birth. The traditional - i,e. normal way - meant that he could not get his jollies so he ordered that a new way of women giving birth was found so that he could watch and get off.

Most people don't know this.

But they had glass tables even then. :Sick1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Louis XIV basically is responsible for women having babies on their backs. He got off his jollies on watching women give birth. The traditional - i,e. normal way - meant that he could not get his jollies so he ordered that a new way of women giving birth was found so that he could watch and get off.

Most people don't know this.

So what is the normal way?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started that other thread. I need to review it again.

Really struggling at the moment in the same way as the OP. Awake at 3 or 4 and can't get back to sleep. Tis an absolute ****er at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Libspero
      Since the kids are sick and we seem to be up at all hours..  a thread dedicated to the night owls who have small children or otherwise find themselves unable to sleep.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.