DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Best Coronavirus Memes

Battenberg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Masked Tulip

• One percent

• sarahbell

• Bear Hug

On 21/09/2021 at 19:14, unregistered_guest said:

Which makes no sense whatsoever, because, even for the CofE in the case of an emergency (like a pandemic, perhaps), anyone can perform a baptism.

There is obvious Biblical precedent for this in Acts 2:37-41. Think about it logically for a second. How the fuck would the remaining apostles baptise 3,000 people in one day?

Answer: they wouldn't! They would baptise some, who would then assist with the baptism of others.

In Catholic belief an emergency baptism may be carried out by anyone, not just those already baptised, so long as they baptise with water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit with the intention of carrying out baptism as understood by the Church, even though that person might not personally believe (for example, an atheist).

Edited by Panther
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Panther said:

In Catholic belief an emergency baptism may be carried out by anyone, not just those already baptised, so long as they baptise with water in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit with the intention of carrying out baptism as understood by the Church, even though that person might not personally believe (for example, an atheist).

Spent a while on the internet reading about baptism - there's plenty about its history and different methods in different religions but nothing to explain what it actually means. The most I could find was  "it says do it in the holy script therefore people did it." My guess like all these medieval traditions it once had good intentions like in this case impressing on people that washing themselves now and then was a good idea.

I suppose these days you get in the shower with your phone then the vicar sends you a zoom invite.

• Lol 1

57 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Spent a while on th hie internet reading about baptism - there's plenty about its history and different methods in different religions but nothing to explain what it actually means.

In Catholicism baptism is not just a symbolic washing ritual but is the outward sign of an inward, metaphysical change in its recipient. They become part of the body of the Church, it's much much more than a membership card.

Edited by Panther
  • Agree 1

Surrounded by idiots

Baptism is heavy with symbolism. The act of baptism was originally (and still is for many baptists) the full immersion of the body under the water (which symbolises the death and burial of the old self) and the subsequent lifting back out (which symbolises the resurrection for the new, reborn self ["must be born again"] and alludes to the future eschatological resurrection). It is also a symbolism of "washing" - the water symbolises the blood of Jesus which washes away our sins. 

The understanding of baptism varies between denominations - for baptists, it is the outward expression of an inward change (which it why they don't baptise children). For catholics, it (I think) is a prerequisite for salvation. The CofE - well who knows what the CofE believes anymore, as long as it doesn't offend anyone...

Sprinkling a bit of water on a baby's forehead was a later ceremonial adaptation by the ancient church (probably to theologically justify the salvation of infants during centuries of huge infant mortality). 

I'm sure that @unregistered_guest could explain it better than me, but that's the general gist. 

• Agree 1

The great thing about baptism is that it is so mutually recognised between many different types of Christian. You are not baptised a Catholic or whatever, you are baptised a Christian. So, for example, being within the Catholic Church is a question of your assent, not your baptism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_baptism

Edited by Panther
  • Agree 1

Covid19 and life to go

I'm finally sold to getting the vaccine we can't have people like this going out of business.

*Link should work I think for those without the app

• Lol 3

1 hour ago, Panther said:

The great thing about baptism is that it is so mutually recognised between many different types of Christian. You are not baptised a Catholic or whatever, you are baptised a Christian. So, for example, being within the Catholic Church is a question of your assent, not your baptism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_baptism

How do the other Christians recognise that you really have been baptised - do you have a digital baptism pass?

The Masked Tulip
32 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

How do the other Christians recognise that you really have been baptised - do you have a digital baptism pass?

You'll find out when you get to the Pearly Gates.

51 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You'll find out when you get to the Pearly Gates.

I hope that doesn't turn out to be jabbees-only as well.

• Lol 1

Southmartin
2 hours ago, Covid19 and life to go said:

I'm finally sold to getting the vaccine we can't have people like this going out of business.

*Link should work I think for those without the app

Shouldn't this also be posted in the Black guys and white women in adverts thread?

• Informative 1