DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

UK Power supplies - how durable?

Kurt Barlow

Kurt Barlow

What are peoples views on the durability of UK power (Gas, electric, liquid fuels supply) and water.

In terms of our supply its a mix of elderly but functional nukes, gas fired power, a lot of wind which is becoming more stable with the move offshore. Biomass, coal, Hydro, solar small contributors and then there is the interconnections

My view on electricity and gas supplies is that they will cut electricity first - probably rolling cuts by region. This would additionally cut gas demand as central heating requires electricity to run pumps and fans. 

I reckon gas, electric and water will be ok.

What worries me is the great bog roll crisis causing folks who have run out to start using kitchen roll or anything else to wipe their backsides and clogging up the sewerage system. 

Once schools are closed and all the kids are home playing Fornite or whatever, self isolators are watching streamed Tv and many people are working from home making video calls etc. then internet speeds could get annoyingly slow. 

• Agree 5
  • Lol 1

39 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I work in energy and preparedness is OK.. We've plans to keep teams apart etc. The vast majority of the industry are office based and could work from home. However plant outages may be lengthier if engineering staff can't be mobilised. 

We're moving towards the lower part of the annual demand curve. I'd expect, if anything, additional work for national grid in backing down units as plants may be switched to baseload running to reduce workload. 

Absolutely, at the local level biggest risk to outages is roadworks/building works and diggers going through the supplies, also weather related issues. Can't do much about the latter, but with the economy grinding down not much of the former.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Most people in industry are (almost by definition) below retirement age and thus not so high risk.

There may be staff shortages as some team members get it worse than others,  but I don’t imagine there will ever be such a shortage that nobody of working age can be found to maintain core infrastructure.

In that very unlikely event we will be relying on a 2kW petrol generator and an open fire with a stack of coal I’ve been stock piling for next years ban..  but I really don’t think it will happen.

• Agree 1

PatronizingGit

Not on a metered water supply, thus I will be hooking up a mini water-mill type generator & keeping the tap always on so I dont need electricity, I can produce it myself. :)

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

I’ve been seriously considering going services free a few days this week just to check my contingency plans are all in place. 

When I moved in to this place there was no electric connection so I’m pretty much certain I could cope as other than water it was pretty much like that. 

Kurt Barlow
9 hours ago, VladTheImp said:

I reckon gas, electric and water will be ok.

What worries me is the great bog roll crisis causing folks who have run out to start using kitchen roll or anything else to wipe their backsides and clogging up the sewerage system. 

Once schools are closed and all the kids are home playing Fornite or whatever, self isolators are watching streamed Tv and many people are working from home making video calls etc. then internet speeds could get annoyingly slow. 

I think the Government will keep the schools open to effectively act as creches. Ofsted requirements will be relaxed and it might be one teacher and a couple of teaching assistants / volunteers looking after 60-70 kids. Probably a lot of time spent running round the playground. 

If they don't large sections of the workforce are going to have be on leave 

• Agree 1

Kurt Barlow
48 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Most people in industry are (almost by definition) below retirement age and thus not so high risk.

There may be staff shortages as some team members get it worse than others,  but I don’t imagine there will ever be such a shortage that nobody of working age can be found to maintain core infrastructure.

In that very unlikely event we will be relying on a 2kW petrol generator and an open fire with a stack of coal I’ve been stock piling for next years ban..  but I really don’t think it will happen.

Im thinking about shelling out £300-£400 for a small generator in the  1 KW range. I also have 660w of solar panels and 60ah of batteries which I can offgrid (Ive got the controller and cables in the loft) This leverages so many other functions.

• I can keep our refrigerator / freezer running at food safety temperatures (< 8 deg C / < -6 deg C)  if not long term food preservation requirements
  • I can operate our heating system
  • Installing solar water heating so power supply will run the circulation pump
  • Lighting
  •  Charging phones / IPAD / Batteries

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, spunko said:

An... incinerator :P

Indeed, one of my best ever household purchases. No bloody jamming shredders. Just check that none of the neighbours have washing on the line before firing up.

Southmartin

I remember using one of those to burn up an old treated timber shed - feck me it went up like a rocket - seriously... make sure the air holes are relatively clear and it just sucks the air in. I genuinely had blue flame out the top of for a distance of about a metre... it was savage!

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Im thinking about shelling out £300-£400 for a small generator in the  1 KW range.

I just got a cheap one from ALDI when they had them on offer for £100ish.

Thought it might come in handy for running power tools for boat work.  No idea if it’s any good or how “clean” the output is.

I believe the more expensive ones have cleaner outputs but it’s hard to find the data on that.

3 hours ago, Calcutta said:

I've bought one of those steel bins with holes in it for incineration. I also have a plan for fetching water from the river. Sorted.

The drum from an old washing machine works a treat. One of those stood on a few bricks is the envy of many a campsite. 

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2

14 minutes ago, VladTheImp said:

The drum from an old washing machine works a treat. One of those stood on a few bricks is the envy of many a campsite. 

The DOSBODS way!xD

If the electricity goes, I play acoustic.

• Agree 1

Chewing Grass
34 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Not related to anything probs but we had power cuts today around North Wales coast and inland.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-power-cuts-caernarfon-wrexham-16680926

That's because I have started hoarding electricity, pm me and I will tell you how to do it.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Chewing Grass
Just now, MrPin said:

You have a giant Leyden Jar @Chewing Grass?

Fucking hell pinny, don't tell everyone, built mine in an old galvanised dustbin with greaseproof paper and aluminium foil from Tesco.

I will say no more.

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Fucking hell pinny, don't tell everyone, built mine in an old galvanised dustbin with greaseproof paper and aluminium foil from Tesco.

I will say no more.

Fuck me no! Need to know basis, eh? There will be a run in INCINERATOR BINS, and TINFOIL.

Happy Renting
5 hours ago, Calcutta said:

I've bought one of those steel bins with holes in it for incineration. I also have a plan for fetching water from the river. Sorted.

I hope the plan doesn't involve using the steel bin with holes in it.

• Lol 3