DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Prepper Poll

Libspero

Prepper Poll  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am rubbish at stockpiling/prepping. If it's there,  I eat it. Easiest way to diet for me is to just not buy it... I can see myself gaining weight very quickly :CryBaby:

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, spunko said:

I am rubbish at stockpiling/prepping. If it's there,  I eat it. Easiest way to diet for me is to just not buy it... I can see myself gaining weight very quickly :CryBaby:

I've bought loads of nuts, seeds and coconut. I'm doomed!

Thombleached

I'd say fresh food: 5-6 days

Frozen food: 2-3 weeks

Ambient food: 2-3 weeks

All in, under 2 months running down all foodstuffs (assuming the leccy stays on)

But we're always loaded up like that.

• Agree 2

Got a full freezer normally and stock up on staples in a weekly shop, but haven't made any additional purchases so far.

I have a pregnant wife though. I'm going to stock up on various things, enough to last several months as I can't risk her going hungry in the event of supply chains breaking down etc.

Sure some may scoff but as a low likelihood high severity risk, it's one I need to mitigate, IMO it would be negligent not to.

Edited by Boglet
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Boglet said:

Got a full freezer normally and stock up on staples in a weekly shop, but haven't made any additional purchases so far.

I have a pregnant wife though. I'm going to stock up on various things, enough to last several months as I can't risk her going hungry in the event of supply chains breaking down etc.

Sure some may scoff but as a low likelihood high severity risk, it's one I need to mitigate, IMO it would be negligent not to.

Don't wait, I just went to the supermarket, the entire frozen food stuff aisle was looking very bare indeed. Luckily for me, my diet doesn't match 90% of other people's, so I was able to get frozen edamame and gluten free Daim cake with ease. If you want peas or sweetcorn, good luck...

Have to say all the people acting like headless chickens pushing people out the way and being rude were all generally in their 70s or old. So much for the polite generation....

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Could probably survive a few months, on one meal a day. Won't be much fun though! 

Be careful if you're thinking of doing this. I did this nearly decade ago when I was drawn to those corners of the interwebs.

To cut a long story short, I developed signs of hyperthyroidism because I was already at a low body fat percentage and eating whole foods (zero junk). Over time I just wasn't getting in enough calories that my body needed and so eventually crashed and burn.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Kilham said:

You could have made it a public poll, then we'd know where to start when supplies run low.

That's ok,  the only person with a year's worth is clearly @Hopeful with his 500lb stash of seafood, wild game and sauted mushrooms. 

We know he has a waterfront cottage somewhere in Cornwall,   I'm sure by the powers of DOSBODs deductive reasoning we can smoke him out in no time.   ;)

• Agree 1

My plans have all gone to shit a bit.

I'm over in my place in Ireland, been building my stash since I got here in Jan, not for CV but just general. When it looked like things were going to ramp up I got more specific supplies in... but things have changed rapidly the last few days and I'm now not sure how long it will be until they close the border, either directly or informally, I think that is a real possibility (on the Ireland side). So planning to come back to the UK this week while I still can leaving much of the stash behind.

I was due to come back in April anyway, but that was last chance saloon from an insurance, money and work perspective, would cause me bigger issues if I couldn't get back.

So stash is great, but it's going to be 500 miles away.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

That's ok,  the only person with a year's worth is clearly @Hopeful with his 500lb stash of seafood, wild game and sauted mushrooms. 

We know he has a waterfront cottage somewhere in Cornwall,   I'm sure by the powers of DOSBODs deductive reasoning we can smoke him out in no time.   ;)

I think you may have forgotten about the chainsaw and rifle stashed under the bed.

I'll wait outside while you go take a look ;)

Democorruptcy
1 hour ago, Kilham said:

You could have made it a public poll, then we'd know where to start when supplies run low.

I have not prepped at all the shops will stay open and be fully stocked.

No website is secure from hackers. People who reply with a large stash, should be afraid be very afraid :ph34r:

• Lol 1

1 minute ago, Democorruptcy said:

No website is secure from hackers. People who reply with a large stash, should be afraid be very afraid :ph34r:

Yep, all I have is a box of stale cornflakes and a tin of evaporated milk from 2009. Anything else I may have suggested is fantasy.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

The Generation Game
2 hours ago, eight said:

It's funny seeing all the usual adverts on TV as if the World is carrying on as normal, and folks give a toss about their credit scores.

I'm not sure whether to book with Tui or Jet2Holidays. Decisions, decisions. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, The Generation Game said:

I'm not sure whether to book with Tui or Jet2Holidays. Decisions, decisions. 

Watching all four and lots of ferry adverts

The Generation Game
1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Watching all four and lots of ferry adverts

I saw that there is a series starting soon called "The billion dollar cruise" or something. Bet that boat will recoup its cost in a few years!

31 minutes ago, spunko said:

I think you may have forgotten about the chainsaw and rifle stashed under the bed.

I'll wait outside while you go take a look ;)

Not a chance.. 

I was hoping to flush him out with some raw eggs and a giant air/smell blower :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Libspero said:

I'm building a smoker

• Agree 1

Austin Allegro
2 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

It's only flu! 9_9

The problem with 'prepping' is most of the culture is for the USA where people can live in remote places a long way from dodgy mobs, and legally be heavily armed to defend their stash. Neither such thing is possible in the UK so a prepper needs to take a different, more lightweight and low key approach. For example, a small library of survival books such as Free Food by Richard Mabey, Self Reliance by John Yeoman, and a first aid manual are invaluable.

Yeoman says that while everyone else is killing and eating pets and zoo animals, a survival prepper can get good calorific food by foraging for it, using less energy because it's not going to run away. He'll be doing this long before most people are driven to it, and even then they won't know what to pick.

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Informative 1

I might have a bit more of a stash if I had anywhere to put it..........I don't want unsightly piles of tins etc all over the place so if they don't fit in the kitchen cupboards then that's it.

Wight Flight

I tend to batch cook at the weekend and then eat my frozen stash during the week.

To avoid boredom I will have maybe 5 or six variations at a time, six portions of each so would normally have about 30 home made ready meals in the freezer.

I will have a big cook up at the weekend and increase that to maybe 100 meals.

As well as the usual tinned stuff / sausages etc.

• Agree 1