DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How and when could this lead to total societal collapse?

Snark

If the shops run out of supplies are we going to see armed gangs on the streets? would it take more than that? can the Police cope?

Could it become dangerous to leave the house alone? Do we need to better protect our homes?

We've Italy and Spain on lockdown, they're using their armed forces to keep order, would we have to do that? wouldn't that mean marshal law? the UK tries to avoid that at all costs......

Public response to this situation so far is to buy toilet roll, which indicates that most people are terribly unprepared for what may come, and even if coronavirus just fizzles out, once law and order are broken we just don't know what might happen.

Whatever happens, it's quickly becoming apparent the coronavirus probably isn't going to kill you, more likely to be finished off by the roaming gangs of Muz looking for food or supplies. And I'm only half joking :CryBaby:

• Agree 10

Mental Floss
36 minutes ago, Snark said:

If the shops run out of supplies are we going to see armed gangs on the streets? would it take more than that? can the Police cope?

Could it become dangerous to leave the house alone? Do we need to better protect our homes?

We've Italy and Spain on lockdown, they're using their armed forces to keep order, would we have to do that? wouldn't that mean marshal law? the UK tries to avoid that at all costs......

Public response to this situation so far is to buy toilet roll, which indicates that most people are terribly unprepared for what may come, and even if coronavirus just fizzles out, once law and order are broken we just don't know what might happen.

Anecodotal -  Spoke to a high rank, highly experienced, well regarded soldier who has served multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan with distinction. He's a man that I would trust my life with. His comment was:

"There aren't enough of us and you really don't want your average soldier trying to maintain order on the streets of the U.K. They will rapidly become targets and then things will escalate. It's the worst idea I've heard to date."

As I said he's a good guy and he knows his shit. The "Get the army to do it" stuff is probably fantasy.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 3

It does seem to me that a lot of the panic buying is being done by the non-natives and the paranoid me wonders if the gubbermint has told the press to tone that part down in their reporting. Look at the photos here, there are NO people in any of them - strange.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8075463/Firms-hit-coronavirus-panic-buying-significantly-increase-production.html

It explains why in my 98% white area, there is no panic buying, yet all these enriched shitholes seem to have a lot of it.

Exhibit 2: Read the wording of this story from Oz:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/coronavirus-australians-face-hefty-fines-for-failing-to-selfisolate/news-story/5946dacede85c5e8e5a80df3f3da4bea

It's obviously not about "dobbing in your Aussie mate who has just got back from Bali". It's about dobbing in the local Chinese takeaway illegals. Not only are the incomers panic buying, they'll probably also refuse to self-isolate.

Edited by spunko
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, Snark said:

I don't know if we have enough troops or personnel to do this - anyone run the numbers? I watched a video last night of someone who needed (starts 7mins) to see a police officer about a matter, that they need a crime reference number and rubber stamp. He travelled to 3 police stations because the first two have no staff, just a sign to call this number. 

Marshal law would be the last thing they want as if people become disobedient our soldiers would be firing at own civilians on British soil.

We have to get the population united and onside or the alternative is unthinkable.

Edited by 201p
  • Agree 2

ElKapitan84
35 minutes ago, spunko said:

It does seem to me that a lot of the panic buying is being done by the non-natives and the paranoid me wonders if the gubbermint has told the press to tone that part down in their reporting. Look at the photos here, there are NO people in any of them - strange.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8075463/Firms-hit-coronavirus-panic-buying-significantly-increase-production.html

It explains why in my 98% white area, there is no panic buying, yet all these enriched shitholes seem to have a lot of it.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/coronavirus-australians-face-hefty-fines-for-failing-to-selfisolate/news-story/5946dacede85c5e8e5a80df3f3da4bea

It's obviously not about "dobbing in your Aussie mate who has just got back from Bali". It's about dobbing in the local Chinese takeaway illegals. Not only are the incomers panic buying, they'll probably also refuse to self-isolate.

98% white here.  A little busier, but no panic buying.

57 minutes ago, spunko said:

That could partly be because they know what a real shortage is like.

For example, Mrs DeepLurker grew up in Peru, has memories of queuing for sugar as a kid (during the insurrection) and is nagging me every day "we need to go out and get more supplies". We have enough for 2-3 weeks easy but she wants more, more.

Edited by DeepLurker
  • Agree 5

Depends how truthful the supermarkets are about being able to replenish stocks of basic foods and bog roll if a large percentage of the population is self-isolating or in hospital/dead and the deliveries start to struggle.

Popped into my local Tesco early doors as usual but noticed the car park was way busier than normal and the check-outs all queued up due to only a few tills open that time of day so many were waiting for self-service.

Found it strange that they'd cleared the baked in-house bread clean but left all the Warburtons fresh from a new delivery where the in-house is usually suspect on freshness. The fact they hadn't baked any new batches yet suggests they don't replenish it that often. This should be one are that can keep up with demand if it's just a bit more than usual.

Also funny how whole sections of some foods were stripped clean then loads of alternatives and fresh stuff seemingly untouched. Like some locusts addicted to junk food had been in. 

Maybe the staff are struggling to keep up with re-stocking the shelves even if they have the stuff in the back. Certainly didn't look like they were putting on extra staff to cope with the demand, saw mostly the usual faces I see that time of day whenever I pop-in. i.e. the early shift.

A lot of panic will occur if the supermarkets don't get on top of the demand as word of mouth spreads that there are shortages causing even more to panic buy.

I felt a bit smug just getting some fresh food knowing I had stockpiles of long life stuff from weeks ago, but if this thing lasts for months then even the amateur prepper isn't going to last it out. :ph34r:

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Green Devil
7 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Depends how truthful the supermarkets are about being able to replenish stocks of basic foods and bog roll if a large percentage of the population is self-isolating or in hospital/dead and the deliveries start to struggle.

Popped into my local Tesco early doors as usual but noticed the car park was way busier than normal and the check-outs all queued up due to only a few tills open that time of day so many were waiting for self-service.

Found it strange that they'd cleared the baked in-house bread clean but left all the Warburtons fresh from a new delivery where the in-house is usually suspect on freshness. The fact they hadn't baked any new batches yet suggests they don't replenish it that often. This should be one are that can keep up with demand if it's just a bit more than usual.

Also funny how whole sections of some foods were stripped clean then loads of alternatives and fresh stuff seemingly untouched. Like some locusts addicted to junk food had been in. 

Maybe the staff are struggling to keep up with re-stocking the shelves even if they have the stuff in the back. Certainly didn't look like they were putting on extra staff to cope with the demand, saw mostly the usual faces I see that time of day whenever I pop-in. i.e. the early shift.

A lot of panic will occur if the supermarkets don't get on top of the demand as word of mouth spreads that there are shortages causing even more to panic buy.

I felt a bit smug just getting some fresh food knowing I had stockpiles of long life stuff from weeks ago, but if this thing lasts for months then even the amateur prepper isn't going to last it out. :ph34r:

When they are out there shouting, there's no problem don't worry, that means there is a problem.

Is there enough food to feed 70mill for 3 months, no. F. Ing chance. 

• Agree 1

Thombleached
8 minutes ago, BoSon said:

Only things that we're either low on stock or completely OOS in my Morrisons were:

Low on stock:

Shampoos, shower gels, tea, sugar, canned goods (most stuff still available through)

OOS

Bog roll, pasta, hand sanitizer, beef mince, flour, rice

Some people are going to be working there way steadily through that shitty brown pasta that noone likes.

In fact. You'd have to pay me to eat any pasta (or rice for that matter). Horrible claggy starchy shit that it is. Much rather live off baked beans for a year. And I'd probably live longer on it.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Much rather live off baked beans for a year. And I'd probably live longer on it.

I noticed in both supermarkets I've been in in the last few days that all the beans are gone apart from the reduced salt Heinz They don't like the healthier options.. xD 

Seems inevitable we'll be told to stay at home like is happening elsewhere, though how we go about getting supplies when the shelves are empty due to lack of staff re-stocking if they even have it out back is going to be a pain for most.

I could sit at home for a few weeks without needing any more food, but if they are on about potentially staying at home for months then most of us not at semi-pro prepper level will have to venture out eventually and be not much better off than the masses who did no prepping!

• Agree 2

longtomsilver
2 hours ago, Mental Floss said:

Anecodotal -  Spoke to a high rank, highly experienced, well regarded soldier who has served multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan with distinction. He's a man that I would trust my life with. His comment was:

"There aren't enough of us and you really don't want your average soldier trying to maintain order on the streets of the U.K. They will rapidly become targets and then things will escalate. It's the worst idea I've heard to date."

As I said he's a good guy and he knows his shit. The "Get the army to do it" stuff is probably fantasy.

I also spoke to a mate of my, warrant officer class 1 in the Royal Marinee and he's been told to prepare to stand down for 30 days so the idea the military are going to be mobilised anytime soon is unrealistic. I guess the plan is to let this thing rip for a month and then start to put out fires. 

• Informative 1

Lightly Toasted
2 hours ago, 201p said:

The Left and the Right preppers aren't too different in the end.

The 'climate doomers' preparing for society to fall apart

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-51857722

Every six weeks, she takes her two youngest daughters on an 450-mile round trip from their home in Sheffield to an organic farm in South Wales, where they learn how to forage for food. It's vital for them to learn "skills we'll be able to use in the natural world when all our systems have broken down," she says.

I trust they go by bicycle :D

• Agree 3
  • Lol 4

1 hour ago, Snark said:

It just occurred to me, will the Vegans start whining about non-vegans buying their food?

It's unlikely to happen. Although I do have some vegan things in. No one has snaffled them for supper yet so they help provide long term food. Like dwarf bread I guess.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, spunko said:

Foreign people a prone to panicking. Everyone knows that. Remember to wear a pith helmet with a union jack on it.

• Agree 2

My apartment block is quite secure and a bit posh so I’m happy that my doors not getting kicked in any time soon.

Reports of Hour-long queues in Tescos in Belfast today. It’s amazing how people went from laughing at cv to panic buying virtually overnight. I’m very grateful to the DOSBODS hive mind for getting me prepared weeks in advance.

• Agree 8

5 hours ago, spunko said:

Can't get behind that one at all I'm afraid. Pretty white here in Wokingham/Bracknell but was in sainos yesterday they had bugger all left. Saw some white woman arguing madly about not being allowed enough tinned potatoes.

• Agree 1