DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Coronavirus opportunities

Wight Flight

Wight Flight

There must be some.

For me, I think there is a better than even chance that my main competitor will fold. They have in the region of 50% market share, I have about 3% so looking forwards to getting through this.

And as an idea, if I had an ice cream van I would be stocking up on essentials and driving round all the old folk areas, making out like a bandit. 

Any other ideas?

• Agree 4

Credit to @Democorruptcy who alluded to this on another thread.

Online poker - what with self-isolation and no sporting events for mugs to bet on there should be an increase in really bad players at the tables over the next few weeks/months/years.  Fill your boots. 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Think most people will be prioritising putting food on the table, I know I will and I'm partial to the odd bet

Cyanide pills, now there's an idea:D

Edited by lid
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

There must be some.

For me, I think there is a better than even chance that my main competitor will fold. They have in the region of 50% market share, I have about 3% so looking forwards to getting through this.

And as an idea, if I had an ice cream van I would be stocking up on essentials and driving round all the old folk areas, making out like a bandit. 

Any other ideas?

I was thinking of making a Facebook group to share details of all the home delivery small companies, but think it needs to be local. 

Wight Flight
Just now, sarahbell said:

I was thinking of making a Facebook group to share details of all the home delivery small companies, but think it needs to be local. 

That's already happened here. The corner shop has an army of volunteer drivers, as does the chemist.

The butchers has also offered free delivery on £20 plus orders.

Time to dust off the Granville Bike. It is like the olden days.

• Agree 4

steppensheep

Restaurant, gym, nursery workers, teachers etc should be repurposed as domestic staff, personal trainers, private tutors etc. Im sure some "uber"  type app would rake it in.

Self isolation seems to be a new buzzword.

Anything that can be posted to help the self isolator keep occupied, cheerful or keep their spirits up.

Knitting/sewing kits, easy art projects, pamper kits, corona virus survival kits.....loads of different markets and age groups of self isolators.

• Agree 2

Gordie Lastchance

Erm, you've all missed the obvious one.

Ventilators!

We've surely got the skills among Dosboders to create them in our sheds. I'm envisaging something like wot they made for the tunnel in The Great Escape movie. Few materials needed: wood, old sacks for the bellows and Klim tins!

Edited by Gordie Lastchance

9 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

There must be some.

Any other ideas?

We make industrial paints and chemicals. Every other phone call is asking us to make sanitiser as all the usual outfits can't get enough out the door; you know they're desperate when they're asking us as we are not the sort of site you'd expect to get hand sanitiser from! Piece of p*ss to make but problem is packaging is not there nor is the supply of alcohol. Getting hold of a decent qty of IPA is akin to getting hold of toilet paper in a supermarket...not happening. 

• Agree 1

is Microsoft a safe place to store our wealth? perhaps not the right thread, but it's an opportunity. MS have over taken Apple to be the worlds largest company, primarily because of it's cloud services and office 365 business.

This is going to be a boom time for MS, and additionally, people's way of working will change forever, ie much more home working even when we get back to normal.

I don't seem to be the only one thinking this, share price has held up relatively well.

Edited by snaga
  • Agree 4

9 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

That's already happened here. The corner shop has an army of volunteer drivers, as does the chemist.

The butchers has also offered free delivery on £20 plus orders.

Time to dust off the Granville Bike. It is like the olden days.

Same here; my local traditional butcher which I imagine struggles apart from turkey time at Christmas, is now really busy.. Supermarkets have no meat left, but the local guy still has stock. He's also doing deliveries and looking after the old folk. Which is all great.  Tomorrow however he's only open 8-1, as it's half day Wednesday. Even in a national crisis, that 1950s mindset lingers on..

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
6 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

Same here; my local traditional butcher which I imagine struggles apart from turkey time at Christmas, is now really busy.. Supermarkets have no meat left, but the local guy still has stock. He's also doing deliveries and looking after the old folk. Which is all great.  Tomorrow however he's only open 8-1, as it's half day Wednesday. Even in a national crisis, that 1950s mindset lingers on..

I think the 1950s mindset might help to get us through this.

(It is called new fangled thinking down here)

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

If it's a total lock-down and people cannot go out unless they are taking a dog for a walk, it's an excellent opportunity right now to be a dog available for adoption.  In particular, lots of people will be working from home, so will be really bored.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

Online music  tutoring.

If everyone is stuck indoors, might as well learn to play an instrument. Send the tutor a short vid of you playing and they'll identify problems in your technique.

10 hours ago, snaga said:

is Microsoft a safe place to store our wealth? perhaps not the right thread, but it's an opportunity. MS have over taken Apple to be the worlds largest company, primarily because of it's cloud services and office 365 business.

This is going to be a boom time for MS, and additionally, people's way of working will change forever, ie much more home working even when we get back to normal.

I don't seem to be the only one thinking this, share price has held up relatively well.

Good point - any company that enables remote working in a big way. I suspect even after this is ‘over’ many people will continue to want to work remotely.

• Agree 1

The Idiocrat
4 hours ago, jm51 said:

Online music  tutoring.

If everyone is stuck indoors, might as well learn to play an instrument. Send the tutor a short vid of you playing and they'll identify problems in your technique.

Good shout. I've actually bought a keyboard and DAW (digital audio workstation) to learn to play and write some songs. Always wanted to and last attempted when I was a teenager with a synth in a ropey "band" in the 80s. It's my new alternative passtime to dating deluded women, and will be a lot cheaper!

Edited by The Idiocrat