Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Housebuilders and coronavirus


spunko
 Share

Where do you see house prices in April 2021 compared to now?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I feel bad for businesses having to suffer.... except housebuilders and estate agents. Fuck 'em and let 'em rot. Be interested in people's predictions on a) if they'll suffer unduly and b) if they do, what props will the government come up with.


So far, most of the share prices are down, but not by any huge % above and beyond what other markets have fallen.

Countrywide:

Screenshot_2020-03-17 COUNTRYWIDE share price (CWD) - London Stock Exchange.png

 

Taylor Wimpey:

 

Screenshot_2020-03-17 TAYLOR WIMPEY share price (TW ) - London Stock Exchange.png

 

Anyone want to make any short and long-term predictions?

Redrow:

Screenshot_2020-03-17 REDROW share price (RDW) - London Stock Exchange.png

Edited by spunko
  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheCountOfNowhere

Countrywide is down 99.997% from peak.

 

Not even their share consolidation can hide that.

Cant seem them surviving much/any longer

Persimmon, barratt even rightmove in free fall.

 

Bodes well 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Countrywide is down 99.997% from peak.

 

Not even their share consolidation can hide that.

Cant seem them surviving much/any longer

Persimmon, barratt even rightmove in free fall.

 

Bodes well 

Depends what props BoJo comes up with, and create props he shall. No SDLT for covid victims ?

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheCountOfNowhere
11 minutes ago, spunko said:

Depends what props BoJo comes up with, and create props he shall. No SDLT for covid victims ?

Who knows what's coming but I guarantee it's not good for the 99%

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sympathy to anyone but smarmy landlords. If these people get a kicking then the rest of us going to hell in a hand-basket will be worth it if we can take them along with us. Me fears that the parasites will end up getting most of the money shovelled their way though so likely business as usual in a few months.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Sympathy to anyone but smarmy landlords. If these people get a kicking then the rest of us going to hell in a hand-basket will be worth it if we can take them along with us. Me fears that the parasites will end up getting most of the money shovelled their way though so likely business as usual in a few months.

I haven't seen a single measure that will help them yet.

Long may that continue.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taken from HPC, from a contributor that was apparently sent this by an Estate Agent...

An excuse to ramp up the market and instil the usual FOMO in potential buyers,  thinly veiled as an expression of concern and reassurance over Covid-19.

Absolutely disgusting IMO, and possibly even worthy of reporting to the ASA, although technically it's not an advert.

(my bold)

 

Good Aftermoon,

Like many businesses across the UK, we are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and following the advice provided by UK health authorities.

 All of our offices are open as normal and, if you have an appointment booked with us in the near future, we look forward to seeing you then.

 Activity levels remain high and with the recent reduction in interest rates there is arguably no better time than now to be buying property.

In the meantime, we are encouraging all clients to check the latest Government advice.

 If you have any of the symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19) or are otherwise unwell and can no longer attend your appointment, please call your branch soon as possible to let us know so that we can offer the appointment to someone else.

 How can you help? 

 Look after yourself and others by following this simple public health advice:

 •            Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds each time

•            Use hand sanitiser if soap and water isn’t available

•            Avoid touching your face and eyes

•            And cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.

 We are well-prepared for the situation and, with your help, we will be able to continue supporting our colleagues and clients and keep our branches open.

 Kind regards...

  •  
Edited by Royston
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The government will support the housebuilders. I’m guessing they’ll ‘temporarily’ nationalise them. They’ll pay a high price. The companies will still mothball sites and gov will talk about building hospitals etc. In reality the companies will just scale workforce back and hoard land.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheCountOfNowhere
1 hour ago, Ash4781b said:

The government will support the housebuilders. I’m guessing they’ll ‘temporarily’ nationalise them. They’ll pay a high price. The companies will still mothball sites and gov will talk about building hospitals etc. In reality the companies will just scale workforce back and hoard land.

The FTSE says no.

 

Market Summary > Persimmon plc
LON: PSN
Follow
 

1,590.50 GBX −153.00 (8.78%)

 

The rest are down again too.

 

It's gone off a cliff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bricks & Mortar
1 hour ago, Ash4781b said:

The government will support the housebuilders. I’m guessing they’ll ‘temporarily’ nationalise them. They’ll pay a high price. The companies will still mothball sites and gov will talk about building hospitals etc. In reality the companies will just scale workforce back and hoard land.

If they need nationalised, it'll be social houses all the way.    Government need people back to work, paying taxes is all they're good for. 
Until they can engineer a virus to take out the unemployed, of course. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheCountOfNowhere
1 hour ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

If they need nationalised, it'll be social houses all the way.    Government need people back to work, paying taxes is all they're good for. 
Until they can engineer a virus to take out the unemployed, of course. 

 The establishment dont give a f**k about the people and will do everything they can to maintain their position and wealth.

These people send young people out to die to maintain the status quo and profit "the country".

 

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

If they need nationalised, it'll be social houses all the way.    Government need people back to work, paying taxes is all they're good for. 
Until they can engineer a virus to take out the unemployed, of course. 

House builders are not vital.

They administrator/creditors can take ownership of the land, then sell it off.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheCountOfNowhere

RIGHTMOVE PLC (RMV) ORD GBP 0.001

Sell:433.10p Buy:433.80p security-down-arrow.gif 70.30p (13.95%)
 
Not directly house builders but speaks volumes right now
The spring bounce is over 90 and got the virus, it's not going to survive.

Poor old persimmon, wont any one spare a thought for their execs dividends?

 

PERSIMMON performance chart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Royston said:
 Activity levels remain high and with the recent reduction in interest rates there is arguably no better time than now to be buying property.

 

 If you have any of the symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19) or are otherwise unwell and can no longer attend your appointment, please call your branch soon as possible to let us know so that we can offer the appointment to someone else.

  •  

Hilarious in its desperation, thanks for sharing it.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheCountOfNowhere

I rememeber when people used to joke how shit barratt holmes was now some people take out 40 years mortgages to buy them

 

Market Summary > Barratt Developments Plc
LON: BDEV
Follow
 

380.70 GBX −69.30 (15.40%)

 

Still, they're not renting

The Barratt chart that google shows says this is all gone 2007/2008 again.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You keep posting these graphs but have missed the important news today , Crest Nicholson actually reported to the market and it was grim.

 

StockMarketWire.com - Home builder Crest Nicholson scrapped its final dividend and pulled its guidance on expectations that UK government restrictions to curb the Covid-19 spread would have a 'significant' impact on visitor levels and production capability.

The company said it would cancel its final dividend of 21.8p a share in order to preserve its balance sheet and added that it was suspending all existing financial guidance until both the severity and duration of the COVID-19 impact becomes clearer.

'The company has made arrangements to fully draw its £250m revolving credit facility, resulting in available cash of £185m,' Crest Nicholson said. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/03/2020 at 06:41, TheCountOfNowhere said:

RIGHTMOVE PLC (RMV) ORD GBP 0.001

Sell:433.10p Buy:433.80p security-down-arrow.gif 70.30p (13.95%)
 
Not directly house builders but speaks volumes right now
The spring bounce is over 90 and got the virus, it's not going to survive.

Poor old persimmon, wont any one spare a thought for their execs dividends?

 

PERSIMMON performance chart

Rightmove have an insane amount of free cash flow. They could lose75% of their business and still break even so I don't expect them to fail any time soon. Foxtons on the other hand...

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Rightmove have an insane amount of free cash flow. They could lose75% of their business and still break even so I don't expect them to fail any time soon. Foxtons on the other hand...

Indeed. What are their running costs besides staff? Their website is easy to maintain I suspect, the EAs upload everything and do all the work for them. It's an automated business, really.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rightmove will be shitting themselves if the economy is in effect frozen for more than a few months. Talk of potentially into next year (and that's only if a vaccine works) before 'normal' returns will surely have people sat at home rent/mortgage free (if they can't pay) with no desire to move so estate agents will pull the rightmove cost as they struggle to survive

There may be not much activity other than probate sales of all those that croak it from the virus. If credit crunch issues persist then people won't be able to get a mortgage if they wanted to move.

Those thinking Brexit was causing too much limbo haven't seen anything yet...

On the other hand it may all blow over by June.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...