DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Should I Cancel My Gym Membership?

gibbon

On a 30 day rolling contract at my gym. Considering cancelling membership due to CV. Imagine it would be ground zero for catching it, humid, full of people with zero personal hygiene, incapable of washing their hands after using the toilet let alone using the free hand sanitiser or mopping up their sweat off the machines.  Haven't been so far this week. Walked past one or twice and it's completely dead.

Think I'd be OK if I caught CV but then why risk it if I've got an underlying health issue I don't know about or still end up on a ventilator from bad luck? Annoying as I had been out the gym game for a few months and only got back into it month or so ago. Thoughts? What's the predictions for how long the outbreak is going to last?

It's only £20 p/m, but then £20 is £20.

Mental Floss

You're going to get it anyway.

This isn't going to resolve in weeks. Think 6-12 Months. You'd be better off keeping fit and accepting the risk imo.

35 minutes ago, Mental Floss said:

You're going to get it anyway.

This isn't going to resolve in weeks. Think 6-12 Months. You'd be better off keeping fit and accepting the risk imo.

You sure about that? China looks like it's topping out around 80k. 

Would be hard to live with myself if I caught it at the gym and gave it to one of my elderly parents. Some Chinese doctor said the gyms there were ground zero for it's spread.

All gyms shut here from today

Even my gym that usually has noone in, and already has bottle sprays of disinfectant and alcohol for all the barbells (its an Olympic weightlifting gym) year round, has been shut for a few weeks by the owners on safety concerns

There will be health consequences too from people being locked up for 6 weeks. Every time I have spent multiple days indoors to meet deadlines I've ended up feeling ill.

Central London gym I worked at until a few weeks ago (gave up partly due to SARS2 a few weeks ago) is shut from tonight. Budget gym I teach at is not doing classes anymore from today (I asked them to cancel my classes for the foreseeable last Wednesday). I cancelled my corporate class last Wednesday and the office shut down on Thursday. Council gym group I cover at is still trying to go on as normal but I can't see how that can continue. The sector is going to be decimated. If you want them to still be there when the dust settles then keep paying them, if you're not bothered then cancel.

It's dead, so nobody to infect you... I'm still going, keeping fit keeps the mind healthy etc.

Unless you've got an underlying health issue I'd carry on as normal. That's what I'm doing. But I'm probably not going to see my mum at Easter just to be safe. 

1 minute ago, spunko said:

It's dead, so nobody to infect you... I'm still going, keeping fit keeps the mind healthy etc.

Unless you've got an underlying health issue I'd carry on as normal. That's what I'm doing. 

There are 28 people in the gym I teach at. It's nearly fucking midnight. That's nowhere near dead.

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

, but then £20 is £20.

Just got the email from mine, closing from Friday onwards.

Will compensate for any time lost (I am on an annual sub), so that is sth.

All the gains of 2020 gone,will ramp up the cycling I guess but that and body weight exercises are not enough, I was lifting quite heavy the last few months (and feeling good about it :-))

2 hours ago, This Time said:

Central London gym I worked at until a few weeks ago (gave up partly due to SARS2 a few weeks ago) is shut from tonight. Budget gym I teach at is not doing classes anymore from today (I asked them to cancel my classes for the foreseeable last Wednesday). I cancelled my corporate class last Wednesday and the office shut down on Thursday. Council gym group I cover at is still trying to go on as normal but I can't see how that can continue. The sector is going to be decimated. If you want them to still be there when the dust settles then keep paying them, if you're not bothered then cancel.

I'm not going to keep forking over my money to gym I either decide not to use or can't use if they close it temporarily. This place makes it PTs work for free X hours per month or cough up some insane rent per week just to train clients there. The owners ain't nice people or part of the community. Fuck em I ain't being their corporate welfare.

3 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I'm not going to keep forking over my money to gym I either decide not to use or can't use if they close it temporarily. This place makes it PTs work for free X hours per month or cough up some insane rent per week just to train clients there. The owners ain't nice people or part of the community. Fuck em I ain't being their corporate welfare.

I went to the gym a lot for quite a few years but stopped few weeks ago and stopped my direct debit now.  

Plan was to start jogging and do few a pressups, may be a bit of punch bag workout.  To be honest, I failed to do as much as I planned so far and started to gain a bit of fat.  Have tried jogging a little every other day, just need to do more.

I don't consider going to the gym worthwhile if there is a risk of getting/spreading the infection. 

4 hours ago, gibbon said:

On a 30 day rolling contract at my gym. Considering cancelling membership due to CV. Imagine it would be ground zero for catching it, humid, full of people with zero personal hygiene, incapable of washing their hands after using the toilet let alone using the free hand sanitiser or mopping up their sweat off the machines.  Haven't been so far this week. Walked past one or twice and it's completely dead.

Think I'd be OK if I caught CV but then why risk it if I've got an underlying health issue I don't know about or still end up on a ventilator from bad luck? Annoying as I had been out the gym game for a few months and only got back into it month or so ago. Thoughts? What's the predictions for how long the outbreak is going to last?

Cancel it. Someone will open a new one after this blows over if it goes bust.

4 hours ago, gibbon said:

Well there's your answer then.

Cancel it. Workout from home. I stopped going to the gym 3 weeks ago when everyone still thought this was a big joke.

I did my first home workout yesterday. Whilst not as good as a gym it should keep you reasonably fit and stop your muscles turning to mush over the coming months.

Do we need a ‘workout from home’ thread?

27 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Cancel it. Workout from home. I stopped going to the gym 3 weeks ago when everyone still thought this was a big joke.

I did my first home workout yesterday. Whilst not as good as a gym it should keep you reasonably fit and stop your muscles turning to mush over the coming months.

Sounds like a plan. There is a lot of good stuff out there on YouTube etc, but there's also some absolute bollocks.

As long as there's no leotards involved...

Green Devil
11 hours ago, gibbon said:

Gyms are a hotbed for infection. I've caught loads of germs from there. 

Depends what your overall policy is and age. 

If you're under 40 good health your very likely to be unaffected if you catch it. If you're over 40 there's a small risk you might cop it. If you're single again less risk. If you're mixing with elderly def stop. 

Swings and roundabouts, weigh up your risk. 

Paused my total fitness for the max 3 months (at £5 a month, the bastards). More for the money than anything else. Stopping all nonessential direct debits.

Frozen my membership. Shall workout at home, have some weights and YouTube for workouts. Might also run. Some gyms will go bust but I’m not paying for stuff I can’t use whilst my pension fund has plummeted, all surplus cash will be needed to boost savings.

swiss_democracy_for_all
1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

Gyms are a hotbed for infection. I've caught loads of germs from there. 

>XYY mode on

You should stop letting the buff weightlifters bum you in the shower.

>XYY mode off

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

>XYY mode on

Poofs.

>XYY mode off

(whenever he posts that, I think of Windsor Davies)

image.jpeg.ac61f68a726ab48829cce6191941fd32.jpeg

Cheers knew the DOSBOD hive mind would come to the rescue again. Thanks to @Rowley and @Dipsy have emailed them this morning asking to freeze membership, which I never even thought of. Don't think they offer it though, although it randomly mentions the word once in their T&Cs (looks like they stole it and left the word 'freeze' in there completely out of context).

If I can't freeze it or I don't hear back from them I'm going to cancel it tomorrow.

Do you have any plans to exercise at home? I haven't been to the gym since Saturday and I miss it. I am going to go tonight, and take my last remaining hand sanitizer.

Living life on the EDGE!

The Masked Tulip
12 hours ago, Funn3r said:

This appears to be proof of the multiverse theory where every possibility that could exist actually does exist somewhere.

Archived