DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Not paying my CT because of CV ... how?

Cosmic Apple

Cosmic Apple

Sitting looking at my council tax bill, I'd love an excuse to delay paying it. How do I go about telling the council to sod off for a few months? :)

• Agree 3

The gubbermint are "looking" at ways of delaying it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/how-uk-government-could-support-people-as-coronavirus-spreads

Think it's best to wait - if they do announce something I'm going to grab it with both hands because it's outrageous IMO that I'm living in a 3 bedroom house and on Band H. Greedy cunts!

40 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Sitting looking at my council tax bill, I'd love an excuse to delay paying it. How do I go about telling the council to sod off for a few months? :)

I am done paying these fuckers any tax, fuck em just do not pay it. They cannot jail us all

• Agree 3

I think quite soon there will be a lot of people unable to pay their council tax due to job loss......plus their rent!

If you can’t pay due to depleted or lost income that’s the reality!

1 hour ago, Cosmic Apple said:

how long would the process normally be for enforcement?  six months? twelve?  

What would be the normal outcome?  fines?  then jail?

I'd say if you need that cash because your income has frozen and you'll be in hardship soon, stop paying.

I cancelled my DD a couple of days ago. Take back control. If the Government starts bailing me out directly then I will restart.

Edited by Panther
  • Agree 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, wherebee said:

how long would the process normally be for enforcement?  six months? twelve?  

What would be the normal outcome?  fines?  then jail?

I'd say if you need that cash because your income has frozen and you'll be in hardship soon, stop paying.

I missed my last month's payment for this year. Just forgot the sodding thing.

About three weeks later I got a court summons including £56 costs.

Which I had to pay.

One of the problems is you don't have an automatic right to pay by instalments. If you miss the first one, the whole lot becomes due on demand. And demand it they will.

There are better bills to piss around with.

• Informative 1

34 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I missed my last month's payment for this year. Just forgot the sodding thing.

About three weeks later I got a court summons including £56 costs.

Which I had to pay.

One of the problems is you don't have an automatic right to pay by instalments. If you miss the first one, the whole lot becomes due on demand. And demand it they will.

There are better bills to piss around with.

courts are going to be shut down.  how are they going to enforce?

my point is, in extraordinary times you have to think extraordinarily.

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, wherebee said:

courts are going to be shut down.  how are they going to enforce?

Q

my point is, in extraordinary times you have to think extraordinarily.

Are you sure about that? All it needs is a suitably qualified bloke with a rubber stamp and justice has been done.

There are safer bills to ignore.

6 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Are you sure about that? All it needs is a suitably qualified bloke with a rubber stamp and justice has been done.

There are safer bills to ignore.

oh, you are absolutely right.  But if you have 500 quid left in the Bank, I know what I would be doing...

• Agree 1

Bedrag Justesen
5 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Hopefully councils and devolved assemblies will be scrapped.

5 hours ago, spunko said:

The gubbermint are "looking" at ways of delaying it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/how-uk-government-could-support-people-as-coronavirus-spreads

Think it's best to wait - if they do announce something I'm going to grab it with both hands because it's outrageous IMO that I'm living in a 3 bedroom house and on Band H. Greedy cunts!

Have you looked at rebanding?

A lot of people got misclassified in the 90s and  they had to pay out a shit ton.

My parents went from G to F and I think they went back a decade or so and they got a fuck-ton back.

2 hours ago, sam1994 said:

Have you looked at rebanding?

A lot of people got misclassified in the 90s and  they had to pay out a shit ton.

My parents went from G to F and I think they went back a decade or so and they got a fuck-ton back.

Sadly yes, I lost as they managed to find another similar house a few miles away that was in the same band. 

Cosmic Apple
9 hours ago, wherebee said:

Nope I just want a tiny little personal victory over 'the man' :D

If they don't announce measures to delay I'll probably just be paying it in full on the final day its due as normal :(

Edited by Cosmic Apple

• 2 weeks later...
Bedrag Justesen
13 minutes ago, One percent said:

Vulnerable. More money for the feckless then. 

It would be less complicated to scrap councils, *cough, erm, scrap Council Tax altogether.

Councils will be so short of people paying this year they will be forced to dip into their reserves to maintain essential services and pay wages etc. If they have no reserves they will need bailing out by government.

If Coronacrisis carries on for months they need to look at laying off teachers, schools are being repurposed as child minding, you don't need a £40k teacher for that, pay zero hour contract minimum wage instead. Teachers can put their feet up and watch The Chase instead, with the government paying 80% of their salaries.

Councils are going to need to make massive cuts all around. Start with Adult Social Care, Education, Bus Services, all the things the government will have to step in to keep going.

It's like BBC cuts, they always threaten to axe the best stuff first.   

Same argument applies with taking on thousands at DWP to process UC claims. Scrap DWP and just pay everybody a UBI instead.

Edited by Bedrag Justesen
  • Agree 2

One percent
19 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

It would be less complicated to scrap councils, *cough, erm, scrap Council Tax altogether.

Councils will be so short of people paying this year they will be forced to dip into their reserves to maintain essential services and pay wages etc. If they have no reserves they will need bailing out by government.

If Coronacrisis carries on for months they need to look at laying off teachers, schools are being repurposed as child minding, you don't need a £40k teacher for that, pay zero hour contract minimum wage instead. Teachers can put their feet up and watch The Chase instead, with the government paying 80% of their salaries.

Councils are going to need to make massive cuts all around. Start with Adult Social Care, Education, Bus Services, all the things the government will have to step in to keep going.

It's like BBC cuts, they always threaten to axe the best stuff first.   

Same argument applies with taking on thousands at DWP to process UC claims. Scrap DWP and just pay everybody a UBI instead.

I think that education, like social housing, has been removed for local authority control. It’s all controlled from the centre by made up quasi organisations 

• Agree 1

Bedrag Justesen
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I think that education, like social housing, has been removed for local authority control. It’s all controlled from the centre by made up quasi organisations 

I hope you are not suggesting devolved assembly governments are responsible.  :o

If you hold off paying it, what are they actually going to do? Courts aren't sitting and if they actually go to their ultimate sanction, the bailiffs, are they operating right now? How can they be?

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, eight said:

If you hold off paying it, what are they actually going to do? Courts aren't sitting and if they actually go to their ultimate sanction, the bailiffs, are they operating right now? How can they be?

The problem is that paying monthly isn't a right.

If you miss the first month's payment, the entire amount becomes due.

Which might matter in June when things are hopefully back to normal.

2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

So pay it then. Or at least open up the dialogue then.

As I mentioned earlier, you're unlikely to be taken to court if you show willingness to pay.

6 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

The problem is that paying monthly isn't a right.

If you miss the first month's payment, the entire amount becomes due.

I think the rules of the game have changed quite a bit at the moment.

Why anyone would pay any taxes which are due amazes me. my company is gonna owe about 50K in corporation tax no way they will ever see that now, my family needs it more. I will just empty accounts and fuck off out the UK if it comes to it at the end of this 

Wight Flight
8 minutes ago, eight said:

So pay it then. Or at least open up the dialogue then.

As I mentioned earlier, you're unlikely to be taken to court if you show willingness to pay.

Don't get me wrong. I am not worried about me but this is how they work.

And as for open up a dialogue? Really?

I tried to call my bank about the loan thingy. I gave up after six hours on hold. I have a business to run.

One percent
33 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I hope you are not suggesting devolved assembly governments are responsible.  :o

Surely not. They don’t take responsibility for anything. It’s all the fault of the nasty english. o.O

• Agree 1