• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Hepatitis 'A' - on the increase?

NHS is now routinely screening blood for Hep 'A' as 60% of all donations are now testing positive for the infection. Symptoms of an active infection include, slightly raised temperature, headache, tiredness, nausea, loss of apetite and abdomial discomfort or pain. Hep 'A' is transferred via the faecal oral route door to poor personal hygiene or sanitation and is prevalent in Africa, Asia, Middle-East, Eastern Europe and South America.

The thing that strikes me is the fact that the NHS is now actively screening all blood donations, the rate for active or dormant infection is 60% yet the listed number of proper cases is low.

As usual you have to dig to find data https://public.tableau.com/profile/public.health.wales.health.protection#!/vizhome/LaboratoryreportsofHEPATITISAinWales2014-2017/Dashboard2

A large percentage of 3rd world immigrants end up in the food preparation industry and generally have poor hygiene practices, if there is an increase in the pipeline it will be very difficult to distance it from immigration.

The previous historic high was 1990 when 7545 cases were reported in England & Wales.

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/page/43692

4 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

NHS is now routinely screening blood for Hep 'A' as 60% of all donations are now testing positive for the infection. Symptoms of an active infection include, slightly raised temperature, headache, tiredness, nausea, loss of apetite and abdomial discomfort or pain. Hep 'A' is transferred via the faecal oral route door to poor personal hygiene or sanitation and is prevalent in Africa, Asia, Middle-East, Eastern Europe and South America.

The thing that strikes me is the fact that the NHS is now actively screening all blood donations, the rate for active or dormant infection is 60% yet the listed number of proper cases is low.

As usual you have to dig to find data https://public.tableau.com/profile/public.health.wales.health.protection#!/vizhome/LaboratoryreportsofHEPATITISAinWales2014-2017/Dashboard2

A large percentage of 3rd world immigrants end up in the food preparation industry and generally have poor hygiene practices, if there is an increase in the pipeline it will be very difficult to distance it from immigration.

The previous historic high was 1990 when 7545 cases were reported in England & Wales.

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/page/43692

As a former EHO my advice is avoid ethnic takeaways apart from Japanese and Thai. The rest are filthy feckers.

43 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

As a former EHO my advice is avoid ethnic takeaways apart from Japanese and Thai. The rest are filthy feckers.

Aye, parmos!O.o

50 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

There is an Indian restaurant round the corner from me that is five star rated on hygiene. Best curry house for miles too. :)

55 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I knew an EHO. He never ate out and wouldn't go within 10 yards of a Jacuzzi.

Is that about right?

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

There is an Indian restaurant round the corner from me that is five star rated on hygiene. Best curry house for miles too. :)

I'm pretty sure I've had enough curries to ascertain they are not poisonous.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I'm pretty sure I've had enough curries to ascertain they are not poisonous.

Another round the corner from me was shut down for a while on environment health grounds. The pictures in the local paper mean that I would never eat food purchased from there again. 

2 minutes ago, THE MAJOR said:

A friend of mine once found a cats kneecap in his curry.

Not wanting to doubt this but was he a vet? And even then, how the hell would he know?

And do cats even have kneecaps?

I am starting to think I have been suckered...

40 minutes ago, THE MAJOR said:

I'm not bothered if I eat cat, dog, horse, squirrel, snake or whatever as long as they have been humanely killed, prepared/cooked hygienically and it tastes good.

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

I'm not bothered if I eat cat, dog, horse, squirrel, snake or whatever as long as they have been humanely killed, prepared/cooked hygienically and it tastes good.

Snake is tasty. And very easy to carve.

57 minutes ago, THE MAJOR said:

I've found all sorts of stuff in curry but not a feline patella.

Stick to the vegetarian ones, as most Indians do, especially down South.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

The jacuzzi bit definately is

And public swimming pools - full of pee, bacteria and other peoples dead skin - no thanks

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I knew an EHO. He never ate out and wouldn't go within 10 yards of a Jacuzzi.

Is that about right?

Yes - I am sure there are various evolutionary processes going on in the water reservoir.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Scores on the Doors scheme is BS now

32 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

And public swimming pools - full of pee, bacteria and other peoples dead skin - no thanks

Its the top two inches of water all the shit, spit, spunk, smegma. snot, and skin accumulates. Stick to backstroke rather than crawl or breast stroke

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Yes - I am sure there are various evolutionary processes going on in the water reservoir.

Scores on the Doors scheme is BS now

Oh, I thought it was quite trustworthy. Do tell. 

I still stand by the local curry house being incredibly clean, you can just tell walking through the door 

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I've never thought of whittling snakes. Can you make nice spoons from them? 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Oh, I thought it was quite trustworthy. Do tell. 

I still stand by the local curry house being incredibly clean, you can just tell walking through the door 

I've never thought of whittling snakes. Can you make nice spoons from them? 

The gunk that collects contains just about every bacteria, protozoa, mould, virus known to man and if sampled enough you could probably discover another 100 undiscovered species.

58 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Does it taste like chicken?

Cobra tastes, to me, a bit of a cross between chicken and monkfish.

I am still waiting to surprise the kids with a barbequed rattlesnake, but I understand it is overrated.

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I look forward to a dinner invitation to imbibe in a lovingly prepared delicious snake dish if I'm ever in Surrey.

Dont worry CP, haven't been to Surrey for many years but hope if I do get down there to try roast snake, snake curry or deep fried snake with garlic and herbs served on a bed of rocket with a delicious potato side dish xD

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

I look forward to a dinner invitation to imbibe in a lovingly prepared delicious snake dish if I'm ever in Surrey.

Dont worry CP, haven't been to Surrey for many years but hope if I do get down there to try roast snake, snake curry or deep fried snake with garlic and herbs served on a bed of rocket with a delicious potato side dish xD

Sorry. We would need to meet up in Northern Vietnam if you want to try Cobra. I think it is banned in the UK. Rattlesnake is much easier as many of the Southern States of the USA have rattlesnake BBQ competitions. Haven't managed to attend one yet though.

And I doubt they serve Merlot. Tant pis.

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Sorry. We would need to meet up in Northern Vietnam if you want to try Cobra. I think it is banned in the UK. Rattlesnake is much easier as many of the Southern States of the USA have rattlesnake BBQ competitions. Haven't managed to attend one yet though.

And I doubt they serve Merlot. Tant pis.

Oh well....that's another dream dead now. My passport lapsed years ago and I didn't renew. 

No snake on the menu for me then. Never mind....lots of indigenous squirrel, badger....otter etc to try! 

Let's be positive....at least eating a rat dish hasn't crossed my mind xD

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Oh well....that's another dream dead now. My passport lapsed years ago and I didn't renew. 

No snake on the menu for me then. Never mind....lots of indigenous squirrel, badger....otter etc to try! 

Let's be positive....at least eating a rat dish hasn't crossed my mind xD

All is not lost. We could try python

https://www.osgrow.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=131

Just don't have kudu. Bungs you up for days!