DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Who ISN'T a Key Worker?

Melchett

Nail bars, tanning shops, coffee bars..

Turkish barbers

Marketing executives, telephone sanitizers , telemarketers

People who shove flyers through my letterbox.

To Be Honest, me neither. Although if anyone in government has any sort of records I may get conscripted at some point. There cant be too many people in the country with 20 years experience of handling Cat 3/4 viruses.

1 minute ago, Melchett said:

To Be Honest, me neither. Although if anyone in government has any sort of records I may get conscripted at some point. There cant be too many people in the country with 20 years experience of handling Cat 3/4 viruses.

Nah, they've got a 23 year old graduate who's had a first class education and knows everything, they'll not need you.......

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

The New Definition of keyworker will surely cover those who run illegal jetwashes, and those who deliver Pret in Islington via Deliveroo. Those in charge will see to it that the definitions are massaged a bit, don't worry.

A keyworker in my opinion is someone who runs a small business, they are the lifeblood of the UK economy, Thacther knew this but it has been overlooked in recent times. I have nothing against teachers or civil servants but to put them on a pedestal like this is wrong.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, spunko said:

The New Definition of keyworker will surely cover those who run illegal jetwashes, and those who deliver Pret in Islington via Deliveroo. Those in charge will see to it that the definitions are massaged a bit, don't worry.

A keyworker in my opinion is someone who runs a small business, they are the lifeblood of the UK economy, Thacther knew this but it has been overlooked in recent times. I have nothing against teachers or civil servants but to put them on a pedestal like this is wrong.

In a way,  I wouldn't mind if it was.

Anyone working for the state is probably already off on the sick (sorry, self isolating) on full pay..   where as people doing menial jobs are the ones who can't afford not to,  and will actually have their pay docked if they don't show up.

I would say the latter group probably are the ones that most need the childcare support.    In fact,  I would say anyone self isolating isn't a key worker by definition..  because they are not working.

• Agree 2

People who work at Timpson have to be key workers.

And what are the odds of someone who is good at repairing shoes being also good at key cutting?

Edited by Fischer
  • Agree 4
  • Lol 2

TheNoSnowMan

Personally, this just illustrates what a fucking stupid idea it was to put the vast majority of women into the workplace. If most women were still homemakers this wouldn't be a problem. But, no. Can't have the government deprived of 50% more income tax or the elites not getting a generation or two brought up by the state.

• Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Fischer said:

People who work succession at Timpson have to be key workers.

And what are the odds of someone who is good at repairing shoes being also good at key cutting?

Funnily enough Timpson are one of the very few employers who train people when they are in prison (a great idea IMPO). I read that around a third of Timpson employees are ex-cons, if true I fancy their chances.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Funnily enough Timpson are one of the very few employers who train people when they are in prison (a great idea IMPO). I read that around a third of Timpson employees are ex-cons, if true I fancy their chances.

Who better to make copies of your house keys?! O.o

(only joking, think it's a great thing)

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

1 minute ago, LC1 said:

Who better to make copies of your house keys?! O.o

(only joking, think it's a great thing)

I’ve had the local (not Timpsons) locksmith in twice since Christmas. Both guys they sent round had that slightly dodgy yet oddly Also trustworthy air about them of someone who might well have been an ex con who has turned their life around. They might have got their break in the job via Timpsons. Good on them.

• Agree 3

the gardener
12 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Personally, this just illustrates what a fucking stupid idea it was to put the vast majority of women into the workplace. If most women were still homemakers this wouldn't be a problem. But, no. Can't have the government deprived of 50% more income tax or the elites not getting a generation or two brought up by the state.

I think you win the Internet with that insight. 

• Cheers 1

TheNoSnowMan
Just now, the gardener said:

I think you win the Internet with that insight. 

I wish I owned the internet. Every furry would be digitally set on fire.

25 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I have been wondering if this is the reason why Germany is seeing lower rates of infection... I don't know the statistics but it's still fairly common to be eine Hausfrau.

Screenshot_2020-03-19 Hausfrau – Wikipedia.png

If I'm reading that correctly then almost half of all women in German with children under 6 are housewives.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have been wondering if this is the reason why Germany is seeing lower rates of infection... I don't know the statistics but it's still fairly common to be eine Hausfrau.

Screenshot_2020-03-19 Hausfrau – Wikipedia.png

If I'm reading that correctly then almost half of all women in German with children under 6 are housewives.

That tallies anecdotally with what I've seen here in Berlin.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

That tallies anecdotally with what I've seen here in Berlin.

Do you think it's a cultural thing - I suspect so. I would assume cheaper housing costs mean less requirement to work, but also there isn't much of a stigma about being a housewife like there is (bizarrely) in this country. The German family unit is still quite traditional - the man is the breadwinner, the woman looks after the kids.