DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Exam results

Wight Flight

Wight Flight

Anyone got any insight in to how this is going to pan out?

The lad's A level predicted grades are just short of what he needs, but maths has finally 'clicked' and his recent test results are much better.

Do we think there will be a lack of overseas students leading to universities lowering their requirements?

He is understandably terrified about what is going to happen.

Any thoughts on this that I can use to cheer him up a bit (or distress the feck out of him?)

• Agree 1

Carl Fimble

I think he may well end up in a better position, if not he can just appeal. A well thought out and written letter attached to his CV/application, detailing the extraordinary circumstances surrounding his exams. That'd be an option if even the appeal failed to get him the grades her wants. 

Hail the Tripod
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

The lad's A level predicted grades are just short of what he needs, but maths has finally 'clicked' and his recent test results are much better.

Do we think there will be a lack of overseas students leading to universities lowering their requirements?

Any thoughts on this that I can use to cheer him up a bit (or distress the feck out of him?)

The letter from my son’s school implied that the exams will not happen and that the teachers are going to just decide what grade they are awarded. Unique opportunity to buy a better grade with a multipack of andrex and a crate of Prosecco?

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

man o' the year

Pretty sure anyone who is just short will be fine. Did he get on well with his teachers?

My daughter similar in that she is just starting to click with physics although she is year 12 so 2021 intake to uni.

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Pretty sure anyone who is just short will be fine. Did he get on well with his teachers?

My daughter similar in that she is just starting to click with physics although she is year 12 so 2021 intake to uni.

Yes - that's what I think. The Navy have already spent a fortune on him so I think there might be some arm twisting going on to make sure he can continue on his path. The college has very strong links with the universities that he can select from so I am quite relaxed about it.

Until I hear otherwise!

A tremendous # on the lung

Should be able to resit any exams if necessary? May mean a year delay to moving to Uni or whatever. That may be the case anyway. All guesswork at the moment.

On the bright side, he has plenty of time to study and should get straight A's on any resits

My daughter is an aspy who the teachers cant relate to (nor she to them) who pulls it out for the exams - GCSEs she got double figures of grades 8-9s after the c*nty teachers gave her predicted grades of 4-5s, and they gave her similar predicted A level grades. 

I will advise her that if it comes down to it in future she just says to future employers 'I didnt sit A levels, look at my GCSEs'. She has no interest in going back there in September and we have no interest in asking her to go back.

1 minute ago, BBH said:

Should be able to resit any exams if necessary? May mean a year delay to moving to Uni or whatever. That may be the case anyway. All guesswork at the moment.

On the bright side, he has plenty of time to study and should get straight A's on any resits

The problem with delaying a year is it will be all those who delayed PLUS all those in the year below. And you lose a year of your life/earning potential etc. Best not delay unless you have to.

Edited by Melchett
  • Agree 1

A tremendous # on the lung

I'd like them to delay everything by a year. e.g. Pre school kids move up a year late. Everyone else stays in their current year. Uni's get bailed out for a year if needs be.

Frank Hovis
46 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Stone cold certainty.

I can understand his worrying - we all did - but I would lay money that what was just short is now absolutely fine.

Belt and braces would be to get his predicted grades revisited as his maths has improved; I'd be doing that.

It does really matter at that age that you get to go to the Uni you've set your heart on rather than the second choice because it gives you such a boost.

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Stone cold certainty.

I can understand his worrying - we all did - but I would lay money that what was just short is now absolutely fine.

Belt and braces would be to get his predicted grades revisited as his maths has improved; I'd be doing that.

It does really matter at that age that you get to go to the Uni you've set your heart on rather than the second choice because it gives you such a boost.

He hasn't got a second choice :(

The Idiocrat

My son's in a similar position with A levels, crapping himself (we have stocks of loo roll!), and was finishing the year strongly after upping his game (and tutoring), but his predictions fall short of where he wants to go. We'll see but as above I suspect they'll err on the side of leniency.

• Cheers 1

I'm in a different position because my son's predicted grades are better than he needs anyway to get into Conservatoire. He's really not bothered as much as he should have with his English and History since he knows what he's doing in September. 

I do think uni's will have to take into account what has happened this term.

Wight Flight

Email from college.

Online learning starts with roll call at 08:20 tomorrow and then lessons will follow the normal timetable.

Seriously? Good luck with that.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Email from college.

Online learning starts with roll call at 08:20 tomorrow and then lessons will follow the normal timetable.

Seriously? Good luck with that.

This should be no disadvantage. I worked with a bloke who did his Alevels by post in Guyana, and then went to Imperial College. He was pretty bright

Wight Flight
13 minutes ago, MrPin said:

This should be no disadvantage. I worked with a bloke who did his Alevels by post in Guyana, and then went to Imperial College. He was pretty bright

I meant good luck with getting them to do any work. There are no exams. I will struggle to explain why he should bother when he could be out riding his motorbike.

ashestoashes
3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I meant good luck with getting them to do any work. There are no exams. I will struggle to explain why he should bother when he could be out riding his motorbike.

tell him if he crashes there are no hospital facilities to put him back together

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
Just now, ashestoashes said:

tell him if he crashes there are no hospital facilities to put him back together

Yes - that does concern me. But he has some really good gear so with luck might bounce.

He has his driving test in a couple of weeks (unless it is cancelled) - not sure that him driving will make me any more relaxed though.

• Agree 1

ashestoashes
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes - that does concern me. But he has some really good gear so with luck might bounce.

He has his driving test in a couple of weeks (unless it is cancelled) - not sure that him driving will make me any more relaxed though.

these are not normal times though and he's not likely to be able to think through the consequences

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

these are not normal times though and he's not likely to be able to think through the consequences

He's actually more sensible than me.

And if most of the old codgers are off the road he has a 50:50 chance at least.

• Agree 1