DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Coronavirus Wealth Protection Thread

JoeDavola

Rates at 0.1%

Stocks Down Big Time, with further falls?

Recession imminent one would assume.....

....how to protect your wealth at this time? Especially for those of us in cash.

A place to discuss how and when to move to assets, and what assets, as this whole thing progresses.

Was thinking yesterday that stocks relating to remote working might be a good buy, Microsoft someone else mentioned (office 365 / teams have big user base) but then I thought of Citrix too...they've managed well through this:

image.png.3259c52ea47285df8763eaa9f8ad7f98.png

Edited by JoeDavola

Going full conspiraloon but I wouldn't be buying anything related to homeworking. My internet has been unusable today - possibly a coincidence - or possibly because of all the self isolators watching Netflix instead of working. Once the schools break up (i.e. tomorrow0 it's going to be bloody unstable. Skype yesterday didn't work for me as well, for hours. They won't be able to just order more servers from China...

I reckon if the internet is slow for everyone then they'll have to start blocking Netflix from 9-5 so that people can actually do work from home. I'm on fibre but I was getting 0.2MB/s for most of the day, it's a joke.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

Going full conspiraloon but I wouldn't be buying anything related to homeworking. My internet has been unusable today - possibly a coincidence - or possibly because of all the self isolators watching Netflix instead of working. Once the schools break up (i.e. tomorrow0 it's going to be bloody unstable. Skype yesterday didn't work for me as well, for hours. They won't be able to just order more servers from China...

I reckon if the internet is slow for everyone then they'll have to start blocking Netflix from 9-5 so that people can actually do work from home. I'm on fibre but I was getting 0.2MB/s for most of the day, it's a joke.

ISP throttling. I use Andrews and Arnold, no throttling guaranteed. Bit expensive but worth every penny.

One percent

Invest in loo roll and tins. They will be the only currency in the forthcoming apocalypse.  Oh and if you can get hold of any of the non plastic banknotes, then they will be useful as loo roll. 

14 minutes ago, spunko said:

Internet issues, or wifi issues?

I'm asking because I'm homeworking too and my office laptop had a slow connection most of the day - but my own laptop was just fine. So I suspect that my actual "internet" connection was just fine but that the wifi airwaves are possibly getting saturated. I haven't investigated yet though.

6 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

Internet issues, or wifi issues?

I'm asking because I'm homeworking too and my office laptop had a slow connection most of the day - but my own laptop was just fine. So I suspect that my actual "internet" connection was just fine but that the wifi airwaves are possibly getting saturated. I haven't investigated yet though.

I doubt it's Wi-Fi out here in the sticks, there's only me and the loopy neighbour within half a mile :o

One percent
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

I doubt it's Wi-Fi out here in the sticks, there's only me and the loopy neighbour within half a mile :o

Don’t forget your pikey neighbours. Bet tey are stealing your bandwidth. 

whatever that is. xD

Hope it isn’t people on a little self isolation jolly stealing bandwidth. They really should be thinking ahead and planning- loads of firms laying off people tomorrow! The food supply chain is grinding to a halt. Then there’s all the health worries.

Yeah a load of the so-called presenters are on a jolly but it’s so-called they’ll be on full pay? 

Edited by Ash4781b

Green Devil
4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Rates at 0.1%

....how to protect your wealth at this time? Especially for those of us in cash.

A place to discuss how and when to move to assets, and what assets, as this whole thing progresses.

Was thinking yesterday that stocks relating to remote working might be a good buy, Microsoft someone else mentioned (office 365 / teams have big user base) but then I thought of Citrix too...they've managed well through this:

We might get a little bounce, but i cant see stocks doing anything for a while. Bonds have crashed too. Gold has crashed. Property looks like it going to finally crash (or at least correct).

Cant really think of anywhere at the moment. Cash is king unless they reset the system and inflate away all your savings. Right now consider yourself lucky youre in cash and havent lost 33% of you cash in stocks/n share, or bonds 20%.  Then theres bitcoin which might be the wildcard, but even that appears to be following the stock market at the moment.

• Agree 1

PatronizingGit

Gold hasnt done badly in sterling. Highest its been in nearly a decade was a bit over 1300 towards the end of feb, now its still over 1280. if the FTSE had lost 2% instead of 30%...

• Agree 1

A tremendous # on the lung
12 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Gold has crashed.

Not really, it's just been dragged down a bit with everything else

unless they reset the system and inflate away all your savings.

They will

I cant see stocks doing anything for a while

In real terms I can't see stocks recovering for 5 years, maybe more. In fiat terms they may

I don't know how it will play out in the short term, everything might continue to crash. But long term, they will inflate. We know this already. 

Edited by BBH
  • Agree 2

Green Devil
Just now, BBH said:

Not really, it's just been dragged down a bit with everything else

They will

In real terms I can't see stocks recovering for 5 years, maybe more. In fiat terms it may

I don't know how it will play out in the short term, everything might continue to crash. But long term, they will inflate. We know this already. 

Right, that doesnt answer the question though. There really is nowhere at the moment that will protect you from inflation. Its like the whole thing was orchestrated, now thats a surprise.

• Agree 3

Yeah it's impossible to give advice what to do right now. Anyone who claims to know is lying. It depends how this thing pans out.

I'm diversified already, but I expect to get shafted one way or another

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, BBH said:

Agree long term they will inflate.

Thinking short and medium term.

Everything has crashed, ironically except housing. But then again that doesn't crash so quck. But I do wonder if people will just sit on their houses and not sell them for a long time by which time the inflation will have happened i.e. we'll never see a drop in house prices in £ terms.

Edited by JoeDavola

Green Devil
3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Agree long term they will inflate.

Thinking short and medium term.

Everything has crashed, ironically except housing. But then again that doesn't crash so quck. But I do wonder if people will just sit on their houses and not sell them for a long time by which time the inflation will have happened i.e. we'll never see a drop in house prices in £ terms.

Is anyone talking to EA's? I imagine the market must be dead. I can see a bunch of the scum going under. Is anyone allowing viewings? I cant see anyone allowing potential infected looking around their homes. Perhaps the shortage of empty properties (which you can view) will have the opposite and prices will rise? But them i imagine everyone will be sitting out, in fear of losing their jobs. With housing the best bet is to wait a few months and see if reductions start coming through, if they do, you might get a bargain.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Is anyone talking to EA's? I imagine the market must be dead. I can see a bunch of the scum going under. Is anyone allowing viewings? I cant see anyone allowing potential infected looking around their homes. Perhaps the shortage of empty properties (which you can view) will have the opposite and prices will rise? But them i imagine everyone will be sitting out, in fear of losing their jobs. With housing the best bet is to wait a few months and see if reductions start coming through, if they do, you might get a bargain.

Here in Belfast it depends on the area - some areas according to reports were going nuts with bidding up until last week.

However to take a real life example there is more than one house for sale on the street where my folks live and they've been on sale for months. There's a lot that isn't shifting.

The problem is that while a market finds it's level, most home sellers even before all this happened seem happier leaving their home on the market for a long long time before they'd dream of dropping the price.

Be interesting to see how many new houses actually get listed next week.

Edited by JoeDavola

Green Devil
5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Here in Belfast it depends on the area - some areas according to reports were going nuts with bidding up until last week.

However to take a real life example there is more than one house for sale on the street where my folks live and they've been on sale for months. There's a lot that isn't shifting.

The problem is that while a market finds it's level, most home sellers even before all this happened seem happier leaving their home on the market for a long long time before they'd dream of dropping the price.

Be interesting to see how many new houses actually get listed next week.

When i was looking last, i always asked the EA if it was vacant first. I didnt bother going further if somebody was selling and living there. Its too much hassle.

Is there a market with a strong domestic economy (not heavily export driven) and with a population who will comply with the sort of measures needed (social distancing etc)? Preferably one that has been dragged down with everything else. 

That's where I'd like to put some money right now / soon. I assume the likes of s.Korea is quite heavily export led?

Also decent healthcare and stable politically

Edited by BBH

whitevanman

If it all goes tits up it won't matter have much gold, stocks and cash you've got. What will matter is what you can do and who you have around you as family, friends and community. 

Financial wealth is overrated.

• Agree 6

One percent
1 minute ago, whitevanman said:

If it all goes tits up it won't matter have much gold, stocks and cash you've got. What will matter is what you can do and who you have around you as family, friends and community. 

And how many guns you have. Oh wait, they have spent the last 20 years disarming us. o.O

6 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Rates at 0.1%

In about 6 months buy a house in a nice part of Belfast , going to be buyers market 

• Agree 2

Lightly Toasted
45 minutes ago, BBH said:

Is there a market with a strong domestic economy (not heavily export driven) and with a population who will comply with the sort of measures needed (social distancing etc)? Preferably one that has been dragged down with everything else. 

That's where I'd like to put some money right now / soon. I assume the likes of s.Korea is quite heavily export led?

SK has got a huge potential liability in the form of NK. Taiwan has a huge potential liability in the form of China...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

A relative in NZ has just taken their house off the market, after I explained what a bad idea it would be to be sitting with no house, a million in the Bank, and the Bank goes under......

They had a solid offer from some numpty in Auckland, so they could have sold.

I suspect anyone with half a brain will not be selling any decent property for months.  However, if you had a flat in a council ghetto in London, the rational thing to do would be to sell it now at 80% off.

47 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

True, but it is worth planning this, as we are all hoping for a relatively optimistic outcome. If we don't get one, then as you say none of this shit really matters. But i'm sure the world will figure something out. But it will be messy financially 

• Agree 1

Green Devil
1 hour ago, BBH said:

I was thinking China is probably you best bet in SEA. They seem to have exported the virus to the hapless west and eradicated it internally. They are a fully self sufficient market (unlike the Western basket cases, UK especially) 

10 minutes ago, wherebee said:

A relative in NZ has just taken their house off the market, after I explained what a bad idea it would be to be sitting with no house, a million in the Bank, and the Bank goes under......

They had a solid offer from some numpty in Auckland, so they could have sold.

I suspect anyone with half a brain will not be selling any decent property for months.  However, if you had a flat in a council ghetto in London, the rational thing to do would be to sell it now at 80% off.

You think you can now sell a shit hole in a London ghetto riddled with Sars2 nCov? . Think again. No buyers, its worth f. All. 😂😂