DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Are you buying anything?

Sugarlips

I thought about redeeming my frequent flyer points for electrical retailer gift vouchers so I can buy something useful before the airline's go bankrupt.

I also thought about using interest free finance for a big freezer given its non recourse if the economy completely implodes 

Could do with a smart TV as well (esp if quarantined) but not essential, would at least get in before the currency becomes worthless

Are you buying big ticket items and if so, what?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would give it a month or so to let the Retails start shi@@ing themselves due to the drop in foot fall, you should then be able to negotiate some good deals...

TheCountOfNowhere

Just spoke to 2 people....1 sales person, wages cut, no commission, HUGE mortgage

Pilot, 50% pay cut for 2 months, in the middle of building work, now stopped.

People wont be buying for quite some time.#

The bankers are going to rob us and hand people £1000 so they'll buy...would you spend it ?

It's be straight into oil shares for me.

Democorruptcy
16 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Just spoke to 2 people....1 sales person, wages cut, no commission, HUGE mortgage

Pilot, 50% pay cut for 2 months, in the middle of building work, now stopped.

People wont be buying for quite some time.#

The bankers are going to rob us and hand people £1000 so they'll buy...would you spend it ?

It's be straight into oil shares for me.

If talk of the chancellor paying 75% of the wage bill for 3 months will be a lot more than that. Particularly if it isn't means tested against other income from BTL, dividend income, etc

Been on hotukdeals and seen that Adidas and Reebok have 50% outlet sales with additional discount codes available. I think they must have the same owner as both retail sites are identical apart from the branding and merchandise.

Bagged some new running shoes, though went overboard and have 3 new pairs with another of my new favourites on the way while they're so cheap. :Jumping:

I expect more companies will look to offload stock to get some quick cash if it gets that bad they risk going bankrupt.

Popped into Tesco this morning after a run and it's still full of mongs panic buying bog roll and whatever they can get their hands on. Just bagged some fresh food and milk and got out of there pronto. Noticed the alcohol isle had been stripped clean now the pubs are taboo. xD

Not got a lot else I want to buy at the moment. If they do hand out cash to spend then they need to do it by way of gift vouchers for supermarkets/argos and the like so people don't misuse it.

Maybe they should just do a deal with Sky, Netflix, and other streaming/home entertainement/gaming services and pay for everyone to get 3 months+ free access. Surprised some services aren't offering that anyway to temp new customers into paying later if they like the service so much. Though with news Netflix are reducing streaming quality in Europe, maybe they don't have the infrastructure to cope with such demand now many homes can get fibre or 4g speed internet.

TheCountOfNowhere
21 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

If talk of the chancellor paying 75% of the wage bill for 3 months FOR PEOPLE DISAGNOSED WITH CV19 will be a lot more than that. Particularly if it isn't means tested against other income from BTL, dividend income, etc

My understanding was the above, am i wrong, happy to be wrong, it was just in my head.

They're not testing anyone ;-) 

Democorruptcy
2 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

My understanding was the above, am i wrong, happy to be wrong, it was just in my head.

They're not testing anyone ;-) 

That would be cheaper, less people to pay and....

TheCountOfNowhere
8 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

That would be cheaper, less people to pay and....

The devils in the detail

The bankers tho, they're going fucking mental.

The new bloke's either Carney's son or Carney's dad, not sure which

leonardratso
1 hour ago, BoSon said:

Been on hotukdeals and seen that Adidas and Reebok have 50% outlet sales with additional discount codes available. I think they must have the same owner as both retail sites are identical apart from the branding and merchandise.

Bagged some new running shoes, though went overboard and have 3 new pairs with another of my new favourites on the way while they're so cheap. :Jumping:

I expect more companies will look to offload stock to get some quick cash if it gets that bad they risk going bankrupt.

Popped into Tesco this morning after a run and it's still full of mongs panic buying bog roll and whatever they can get their hands on. Just bagged some fresh food and milk and got out of there pronto. Noticed the alcohol isle had been stripped clean now the pubs are taboo. xD

Not got a lot else I want to buy at the moment. If they do hand out cash to spend then they need to do it by way of gift vouchers for supermarkets/argos and the like so people don't misuse it.

Maybe they should just do a deal with Sky, Netflix, and other streaming/home entertainement/gaming services and pay for everyone to get 3 months+ free access. Surprised some services aren't offering that anyway to temp new customers into paying later if they like the service so much. Though with news Netflix are reducing streaming quality in Europe, maybe they don't have the infrastructure to cope with such demand now many homes can get fibre or 4g speed internet.

thanks for that, i had an account on reebok, - they are basically rebranded sports direct are they not these days? im sure they dont exist as an independant brand anymore, anyway im wearing a pair of knackered 20yr old reeboks that were once white and they have more industrial super glue holding them together than the original material they were made of, so ive splashed out and bout 3x new pairs all in £60 - and free delievery, ill bet they dont last 20 years and i should order somemore industrial superglue while im at it.

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

If talk of the chancellor paying 75% of the wage bill for 3 months will be a lot more than that. Particularly if it isn't means tested against other income from BTL, dividend income, etc

My guess is that they will pay in the region of £1,000 per month per FT employee. That should be enough to allow businesses to keep people on, probably on short time, 

£1,000 per month, with mortgage or rent delays, will be enough for everyone to survive.

And it is a hell of a lot easier than having everyone laid off and trying to claim benefits.

Added bonus that those already living on benefits won't get anything.

6 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

thanks for that, i had an account on reebok, - they are basically rebranded sports direct are they not these days? im sure they dont exist as an independant brand anymore, ...

Nah, not Sports Direct crap, just googled it and I was right they're owned by Adidas since 2005.

Sports Direct have all sort of zombie brands now that are cheap poor quality but priced accordingly. They always have their own brands on offer pretending the RRP is in any way realistic. i.e. made down to a budget quality wise that is the sale price. Have a few things from them but I'm not some brand snob, just get what I need to get the job done, and that job is running in all weathers and all terrains. B| Gyms are for pussies, or pussy ogglers.

Green Devil
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The devils in the detail

The bankers tho, they're going fucking mental.

The new bloke's either Carney's son or Carney's dad, not sure which

This new cunt is fucking worse than carney and that's saying summat. 

TheCountOfNowhere
9 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

This new cunt is fucking worse than carney and that's saying summat. 

You're not wrong there.

Hasn't Canary Been switched to advising Boris ? 

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

My guess is that they will pay in the region of £1,000 per month per FT employee. That should be enough to allow businesses to keep people on, probably on short time, 

£1,000 per month, with mortgage or rent delays, will be enough for everyone BANK to survive.

And it is a hell of a lot easier than having everyone laid off and trying to claim benefits of £300 a month

Added bonus that those already living on benefits won't get anything.

Wight Flight
12 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

You're not wrong there.

Hasn't Canary Been switched to advising Boris ? 

But benefits won't be that low. By the time you add it all together, most will be entitled to at least that.

TheCountOfNowhere
4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

But benefits won't be that low. By the time you add it all together, most will be entitled to at least that.

isnt that what the benefit system is there for !!!

it's a fooking bailout for the rich to keep their companies going.

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

isnt that what the benefit system is there for !!!

it's a fooking bailout for the rich to keep their companies going.

I don't think so. The benefit system won't be able to cope and will be scammed to death.

By using the employers you are allowing thousands of HR departments to do the work for you. And much faster than the Gov could ever achieve.

The Gov are terrified of millions of people being laid off without a pot to piss in. This solves the problem rather neatly.

TheCountOfNowhere
4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I don't think so. The benefit system won't be able to cope and will be scammed to death.

By using the employers you are allowing thousands of HR departments to do the work for you. And much faster than the Gov could ever achieve.

The Gov are terrified of millions of people being laid off without a pot to piss in. This solves the problem rather neatly.

And where's the money coming from ?

Solves nothing, makes it all worse in the end.

Why work, you can get free cash

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

And where's the money coming from ?

Solves nothing, makes it all worse in the end.

Why work, you can get free cash

Where does any money come from?

And what is the alternative - millions out of work with no money - and rioting?

TheCountOfNowhere
13 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Where does any money come from?

And what is the alternative - millions out of work with no money - and rioting?

Money's a measure of work.  When it's handed out for nothing it is a measure of stupidity.

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Money's a measure of work.  When it's handed out for nothing it is a measure of stupidity.

No it isn't. Money is a means to store and transfer the value of work.

And it is seriously out of kilter with the cost of living.

TheCountOfNowhere
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

No it isn't. Money is a means to store and transfer the value of work.

And it is seriously out of kilter with the cost of living.

Same Same.

The Idiocrat

I've got two teenagers so need to exercise them. Got an exercise bike on order, which will get used, old one broke, and other exercise stuff.

Buying daughter an online language course to do over a couple of months. 

Bought myself a music keyboard and digital audio workstation to get back to making music like I did in my teens. Will replace my time going to the pub/dating. Tech has moved on a lot from a monophonic synth! :Old:

20 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

I've got two teenagers so need to exercise them. Got an exercise bike on order, which will get used, old one broke, and other exercise stuff.

Buying daughter an online language course to do over a couple of months. 

Bought myself a music keyboard and digital audio workstation to get back to making music like I did in my teens. Will replace my time going to the pub/dating. Tech has moved on a lot from a monophonic synth! :Old:

If you've got an iPad look up Soundtestroom on YT, the soft synths are insanely good for the money, he's reviewed nearly every one out there.

The Idiocrat
7 minutes ago, onlyme said:

If you've got an iPad look up Soundtestroom on YT, the soft synths are insanely good for the money, he's reviewed nearly every one out there.

👍 Got this keyboard, which comes with a DAW and Analogue Lab for soft synths and has hundreds of good ones - 80s kid's dream! I'm seriously impressed by this kit for the money (£174).

https://www.arturia.com/keylab-essential-61/overview

Archived