DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Are you buying anything?

Sugarlips

I went to Sainsburys yesterday after for a food shop. I almost had an orgasm when I saw a quarter of a pallet of single Heinz baked beans. 85p though. Still took one. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ive noticed the BOGOFF deals have gone.

Can't wait for supermarket results for this quarter. No doubt about it they have profited massively from this and are loving it.

leonardratso
21 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ive noticed the BOGOFF deals have gone.

i asked guy in sainsburys about the near end of Ub date stuff and why there was no more of them, he said because of the shortages they arent alloweyd to discount anything, i said well what happens to the out of date stuff now, 'we chuck it away', you couldnt make it up, id happily take it off there hands if it isnt putrid, but i think they have some kind of rule about it and not endangering customers with even given away stuff.

2 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

i asked guy in sainsburys about the near end of Ub date stuff and why there was no more of them, he said because of the shortages they arent alloweyd to discount anything, i said well what happens to the out of date stuff now, 'we chuck it away', you couldnt make it up, id happily take it off there hands if it isnt putrid, but i think they have some kind of rule about it and not endangering customers with even given away stuff.

But I was told they donate all out of date food to food banks and social enterprises. I have been lied to again. :CryBaby:

leonardratso
16 minutes ago, spunko said:

But I was told they donate all out of date food to food banks and social enterprises. I have been lied to again. :CryBaby:

maybe he lied to me, perhaps they hoard it and take it all home, i would if i worked there.

1 minute ago, leonardratso said:

maybe he lied to me, perhaps they hoard it and take it all home, i would if i worked there.

Nah. They just chuck it all in the bins out the back and it goes to landfill and this has confirmed what I always knew. The "government" argument is bollocks, there is no such requirement from the government to chuck food away, the real reason is that supermarkets don't want the additional cost.

leonardratso
13 minutes ago, spunko said:

Nah. They just chuck it all in the bins out the back and it goes to landfill and this has confirmed what I always knew. The "government" argument is bollocks, there is no such requirement from the government to chuck food away, the real reason is that supermarkets don't want the additional cost.

well, i saw a caterpillar cake stuffed down the side of the nearly out of date tray a few weeks ago, looked like someone had tried to hide it under a load of wheaty type wraps that no one ever buys,  but i saw it trough the slats in the side so i dug it out, was undamaged box, a few days left until sell by date or best before, retail price £7, yellow sticker price £1.14, i bought it immediately and it was lovely with coffee and the kids thought they were having a birthday. Of course it made me fat and gave me rotten teeth and diabetes, but its the principle of the thing.

I have a slight problem: I have around £6 worth of electricity on my prepayment meter. I tried topping it up at a One Stop shop today but was informed that the machine isn't working. O.o I hope that this is a one off and not something that affects 'PayPoint' registers throughout the country. 

The Premier newsagents near my gaff appears to have shut down for the foreseeable future so I'll try the Co-Op near my workplace tomorrow. I bloody well hope that their PayPoint machine is working. 

The other thing I should add is that to top up prepayment leccy and gas, outlets prefer cash payment. Of course paying for stuff by cash is discouraged at the moment. I can pay by card. This will incur a 60p charge for card payment which I am happy to pay. 

As for getting my prepayment gas and electric meters changed to conventional ones, well it has been a challenge. British Gas really were not interested in getting them changed, hiding behind the excuse of me failing a credit report. So I changed to EDF energy last year but they claim to not have any available engineers in my area at the moment to change the meters over. :/

Wight Flight
29 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I have a slight problem: I have around £6 worth of electricity on my prepayment meter. I tried topping it up at a One Stop shop today but was informed that the machine isn't working. O.o I hope that this is a one off and not something that affects 'PayPoint' registers throughout the country. 

The Premier newsagents near my gaff appears to have shut down for the foreseeable future so I'll try the Co-Op near my workplace tomorrow. I bloody well hope that their PayPoint machine is working. 

The other thing I should add is that to top up prepayment leccy and gas, outlets prefer cash payment. Of course paying for stuff by cash is discouraged at the moment. I can pay by card. This will incur a 60p charge for card payment which I am happy to pay. 

As for getting my prepayment gas and electric meters changed to conventional ones, well it has been a challenge. British Gas really were not interested in getting them changed, hiding behind the excuse of me failing a credit report. So I changed to EDF energy last year but they claim to not have any available engineers in my area at the moment to change the meters over. :/

I read earlier (not sure where) that if you contact your supplier they will just send you two weeks top up.

I think they have realised that those on monthly payment will get forbearance but those on meters will be buggered.

Given them a ring first thing. I think they have actually got your back on this for once.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

I read earlier (not sure where) that if you contact your supplier they will just send you two weeks top up.

I think they have realised that those on monthly payment will get forbearance but those on meters will be buffered.

Given them a ring first thing. I think they have actually got your back on this for once.

Cheers Wight Flight, I'll look into it. There are going to be a lot of vulnerable people and/or on low incomes in this predicament. 

Wight Flight
6 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Cheers Wight Flight, I'll look into it. There are going to be a lot of vulnerable people and/or on low incomes in this predicament. 

Yes. Not to mention those that have to self isolate. But it does appear to be an issue they have spotted (surprisingly) so I think there will be systems in place to look after everyone.

Wight Flight

I would add It is a feckin farce. I can pay my car parking fee by any number of hi tech methods but you have to physically make your way down to a shop to hand over cash for some heating.

Suggest that people on benefits get their money on a card that can be used for food and you are told 'oh no, you can't do that, they might feel humiliated' when they are spending taxpayers money.

But you are spending your own hard earned, and have the indignity of not even being trusted for £5 of electricity and you have to go out and buy it upfront in cash.

That pisses me off.

@Wight Flight I managed to get a top up of leccy from the Co-op on my way in to work. Paid for it by debit card but I wasn't charged a fee for doing so on this occasion. What a relief. 

• 1 month later...
On 21/03/2020 at 05:42, Sugarlips said:

I guess I was trying to get a handle on what is going to be the most in demand goods after peak preppier and peak COVID?

what’s going to retain its value or be desirable? Best case we will be having our own roaring 20’s. 

I reckon top of the range camping and back to nature equipment will be more popular as everyone will be sick of being indoors but what other ideas do we have?

Aldi doing raised double airbeds for a cracking price of £29 at the minute, just got myself two. Paid around double that for one last year. Bit of luxury for the tent

I've bought things that I think are going to go up in price as inflation bites over the next few years.  Mainly stuff to do with the house and longevity - about to get new insulation installed which will pay for itself over 20 years, especially if power costs rise as I am expecting.  Also bought a new TV that was on sale - our current one is ten+ years old and the screen is starting to flicker and it shuts itself down every now and then.  I suspect one day soon it will go PSSSTTHHHCHHHH and I wanted to lock in a price in AUD (everything electronic is made overseas here, and I expect prices to rise in AUD).

If I had the money and knew a good builder, I would also get an extension done in about 6 months when builders are hurting...

Archived