DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How long can the avarage hoarder hoard for

King Penda

How long can people keep panic buying for or do you think they are just clearing out certain items even the larger is geting caned around stoke .if we are ordered to stay in people will have nothing better to do than get wasted every night .

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of it is takeaway and restaurant replacement. Some is people bringing forward a weekly or fortnightly big shop. If people don't carry a large stock unlike stokiescums then they are correct to panic as army provided rations will not be sufficient... 

The smaller and more expensive shops aren't yet getting hammered as much. Other places too which people aren't used to thinking of for sourcing food.

Also people might have a bit of spare cash now due to hotel and holiday refunds. 

I heard of people spending £350 - £400 in Booths 

Well my stash was based on just one person in my house I’ve now got 3 adults and 2 kids in it .to be fair the x does have two freezers im

not sure how much is in them mind

Frank Hovis

The limit will be reached when people's cupboards and freezers are full.

It's got to be soon as it's unbelievable to see these empty shelves every time I go to the supermarket. Where are they putting it?

The marker IMO is when home delivery slots start coming in again because they had gone up to two weeks.

Like any good DOSBODder I was fully prepped anyway so am able to observe without concern and just go "wow".

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's got to be soon as it's unbelievable to see these empty shelves every time I go to the supermarket. Where are they putting it?

The marker IMO is when home delivery slots start coming in again because they had gone up to two weeks.

Like any good DOSBODder I was fully prepped anyway so am able to observe without concern and just go "wow".

Or maybe when they get there credit card bills and realise they have got to have time off work

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

Or maybe when they get there credit card bills and realise they have got to have time off work

I don't know. Compared to mortgage or rent, council tax and utilities food is incredibly cheap these days.

And as long as it's things that aren't going to go off then they're not wasting their money as they will eat it, wipe with it, or wash their hands with it at some point.

Thombleached
8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The retired have alot of time on their hands....making soups and jams and freezing.

Could also be the enriched owners of smaller c-stores that are doing the piling in.

I work for a food manufacturer and the message from customers is they just want key lines from each supplier now.

For instance you'll probably notice lots of blue/green milk but no red.Full fat and diet coke but no caffeine-free etc etc.

Supply chain still functioning perfectly fine it's just as soon as produce appears on shelves it's being taken in droves. 

7 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I work for a food manufacturer and the message from customers is they just want key lines from each supplier now.

For instance you'll probably notice lots of blue/green milk but no red.Full fat and diet coke but no caffeine-free etc etc.

I read an article on that yesterday..  agreed between supermarkets and suppliers and is about optimising efficiency apparently.

Eg,  instead of making pasta and changing the cutter 20 times for different shapes and qualities,  they just keep the machine running full whack with the same shape for everyone.

Thombleached
Just now, Libspero said:

I read an article on that yesterday..  agreed between supermarkets and suppliers and is about optimising efficiency apparently.

Eg,  instead of making pasta and changing the cutter 20 times for different shapes and qualities,  they just keep the machine running full whack with the same shape for everyone.

Correct. At my site we usually process 4-5 core lines and about 10 secondary ones.

We're now doing three, but I'm on hols at the moment so a bit out the loop.

I'm guessing next step will be take those 3 lines (each customer gets a tiny tiny change in recipe - it's all own label) and stop doing slight changes and just give every customer the same product.

I'll know more on Monday - there's only 4 senior managers (of which I'm one) and we've roughly agreed that we'll go to site every other week (so two of us are on site each week at least).

Either that or I'm about to become the best paid factory worker in history.

Thombleached

And of course the three main lines are just about volume - they produce the factory overhead figure that enables us to make money on the secondary lines.

So now we're a zombie company....losing money hand over fist.

ashestoashes

think there will be a pasta shortage later in the year as the italians won't be able to harvest the pasta trees

think the issue is people are preparing to self isolate for 14 days and don't trust that there will be food for them later or that they'll be able to go out to get any plus workers/children eating at home during the day 

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

think there will be a pasta shortage later in the year as the italians won't be able to harvest the pasta trees

think the issue is people are preparing to self isolate for 14 days and don't trust that there will be food for them later or that they'll be able to go out to get any plus workers/children eating at home during the day 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DtVo_wkxH9dU&ved=2ahUKEwji1-X-x6joAhWymIsKHTm0CJkQwqsBMAB6BAgGEAU&usg=AOvVaw12FbRtMlzsaxd8Q3eLv4Qu

OurDayWillCome
1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Tbh it's too depressing to go to the supermarket just now, just to find empty shelves. I can see where this nurse is coming from. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11213062/nurse-tearful-plea-coronavirus-panic-buying/

I stocked up weeks ago. Struggling to figure out why health workers didn’t have the same foresight.

Two things that nobody in the media is saying. 

1. 75% of these people panic buying are foreign clearly and most of them aren't working either.  It's like Grenfell again, suddenly we get a glimpse of how fucked up this country is.

2. The diet of a lot of people in this country is appalling. All the Coke, white bread, crisps, processed crap has been sold but the healthy stuff like fresh veg is not selling. 

ashestoashes
10 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

I stocked up weeks ago. Struggling to figure out why health workers didn’t have the same foresight.

or why they can't eat at work at the end of the shift

OurDayWillCome
14 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

Government could have set up NHS, ‘essentials’ back in January.

19 minutes ago, spunko said:

Two things that nobody in the media is saying. 

1. 75% of these people panic buying are foreign clearly and most of them aren't working either.  It's like Grenfell again, suddenly we get a glimpse of how fucked up this country is.

2. The diet of a lot of people in this country is appalling. All the Coke, white bread, crisps, processed crap has been sold but the healthy stuff like fresh veg is not selling. 

it's hard to store veg in the english climate without a proper larder, to be fair.  if I was prepping, potato chips have longer life than a bag of potatoes if you are in a 1000 ft newbuild flat in luton.

Virgil Caine
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I suspect a lot of the good being bought in the panic will go to waste. How long does a bunch of bananas last before it is rotten.

Virgil Caine
23 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

I don’t think hospitals have staff canteens now like they used to have. 

ashestoashes
1 minute ago, Virgil Caine said:

I don’t think hospitals have staff canteens now like they used to have. 

bring in the armed forces catering corps

12 minutes ago, wherebee said:

it's hard to store veg in the english climate without a proper larder, to be fair.  if I was prepping, potato chips have longer life than a bag of potatoes if you are in a 1000 ft newbuild flat in luton.

Most fresh veg will keep for a few weeks things like butternut squash will store for months. There's no getting round the fact lots of people and their diets are revolting. 

38 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

Yep if I’m working I could easily eat crap for free ie toast cereal fruit oh and biscuits 

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

Most fresh veg will keep for a few weeks things like butternut squash will store for months. There's no getting round the fact lots of people and their diets are revolting. 

Virtually all the fresh veg had gone in the two sainsburys near me this week.  All the usual suspects had gone too also.  It was like end of days.  Makes you realise how on a knife edge everything is.  I've topped up the cars with fuel, because if a lockdown was enforced and fuel couldn't be delivered then it'll be carnage - I'm not saying this will happen, but doesn't hurt to have full tanks right now.

Archived