DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Job alternatives

spunko

I think I'm okay but a lot of people I know are seeing wages halving or worse. I've suggested to a few of them to work as Tesco delivery drivers as that's something that'll be in huge demand for months and months. 

What other jobs will be booming, I thought it'd be a good idea to pool ideas in case anyone here needs to know. Amazon fulfillment centre is another one. 

• Agree 3

Delivery Drivers, Supermarket, Pharmacy, Hospital, Call Centres, Cleaners, Uber, Deliveroo, Taxi Drivers, Logistics, Warehouse Operatives, Healthcare, Manufacturing (food/medical supplies/toiletries/), Online Entertainment, Internet, Telecommunications, Religious leaders, 

• Agree 1

Carl Fimble

I did actually consider applying for a supermarket job in the short term, just while my business sat with nothing coming in. Still may consider it, but I got a new enquiry this morning, so maybe things aren't gonna be as dead as I thought they would. 

Surely it’s only in the last week that people might start to loose money this could go on for months in theory ,my own daughters been told has she has a caugh she has to have 2 weeks off and the nursery she works in could soon shut down 

36 minutes ago, JohnThePessimist said:

All of the major supermarkets are crying out for staff to help replenish shelves, apparently.

And how long is that realistically going to last?

36 minutes ago, eight said:

And how long is that realistically going to last?

There's no point in trying to predict what ifs right now, the best course of action is to find suitable employment and hope it lasts. If it doesn't then on to the next one.

• Agree 1

AV, remote working, teleconferencing - sales, support , supply, installation,  hardware and software.

Home offices, garden buildings for a home office, home office equipment.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, spunko said:

There's no point in trying to predict what ifs right now, the best course of action is to find suitable employment and hope it lasts. If it doesn't then on to the next one.

My life has been like that from 2000, you would not believe the level of absolute demand growth and subsequent destruction I've seen come out of the blue from various work areas I've been involved in since then. We're talking down swings of 50-100% down from various income sources. I look at the work situation with this pandemic and go so what to be honest, just more of the same.

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Start a cleaning business.

A deep cleaning type business or house cleaning? As if the latter, that's always the first to get axed when households reign in spending.

Same with gardening, building work, window cleaning.......

Edited by spunko

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

A deep cleaning type business or house cleaning?

Deep cleaning (or even 'normal' cleaning of commercial premises.

I think even when this is all over, people will be more conscious of how sterile / clean the environments they are in are.

So there's bound to be opportunities there. Perhaps people might want to see a rating for different businesses to know how often their premises are cleaned?

What this is going to show up is that a lot of jobs that were considered unglamarous are actually incredibly important - anything involved in getting food/medication to people and keeping things clean. A cleaner is far more useful in this environment than most fancy-sounding office jobs.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Start a cleaning business.

My cleaner is about having a nervous breakdown given the state of him today. One man band, offices and restaurants are his sources of incomes. The latter is particularly devastating for him. Rather him than me. He does carpet cleaning too. Fallen off a cliff last 2 weeks apparently.

7 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

My cleaner is about having a nervous breakdown given the state of him today. One man band, offices and restaurants are his sources of incomes. The latter is particularly devastating for him. Rather him than me. He does carpet cleaning too. Fallen off a cliff last 2 weeks apparently.

Yes I now realize what a silly idea it was.

No fucking place is going to be open to clean anyway!

Strange times.

I've been off work for a week and a half (annual leave) but when I go back I think I may be asked to work in the warehouse dispatching patient files to the relevant clinics and wards. So I think there will be admin and patient facing roles within the NHS on a temp or fixed term basis.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I've been off work for a week and a half (annual leave) but when I go back I think I may be asked to work in the warehouse dispatching patient files to the relevant clinics and wards. So I think there will be admin and patient facing roles within the NHS on a temp or fixed term basis.

Is it a perculiar system that takes ages to learn? 

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Is it a perculiar system that takes ages to learn? 

It does take a while to get to grips with. New entrants will just start doing the grunt work without the computer access but they learn stage by stage and eventually are able to use the PC system to dispatch stuff.

• Agree 1

"As the trials of life continue to take their toll, remember that there is always a future in Computer Maintenance."

Quote from a DOS fortune cookie program from 1991. True then, true now (albeit most of it remote).