• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Libspero

5 year old fined £150 for selling lemonade

Not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this is a bit heavy handed? Why do we try so hard to stop people running casual businesses..  if permits are required for some good reason,  wouldn't it be better to just request the person pay for one or just ask them to leave? £150 for a kid on a first "offence" seems insane.

The lemonade quickly disappeared and her little money tin filled up. A happy scene. And then, after about 30 minutes, four local council enforcement officers stormed up to her little table.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fatherhood/5-year-old-daughter-fined-150-selling-lemonade/

If some cunt tried that with me and my daughters I believe I would break his fingers.

*I would also make him eat the sd card. I guess it's not theft if he still has it?

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this is a bit heavy handed? Why do we try so hard to stop people running casual businesses..  if permits are required for some good reason,  wouldn't it be better to just request the person pay for one or just ask them to leave? £150 for a kid on a first "offence" seems insane.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fatherhood/5-year-old-daughter-fined-150-selling-lemonade/

How could they fine her, surely she's below the age of criminal responsibility?

28 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

"I'll pay it out of my pocket money. Should be paid off about the same time as my student loan."

Why the fuck did it need four of them to turn up?

It was tower hamlets. The gimmegrants need jobs.

I see the problem as incessant focus on licence/pieces of paper required for this, that and pretty much anything.

Thirty or so years ago this young girl would perhaps have went on to make millions through enterprise. She wouldn't have been fined that's certain in my mind!

Problem these days is that the run of the mill entrepreneur is kept down through fees for licences, qualification requirements and a lack of ability to compete with multinational corporations!

11 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I see the problem as incessant focus on licence/pieces of paper required for this, that and pretty much anything.

I see it as council greed..  they want to make money from the licences.

The stupidity is that they should be encouraging people to do this so they make MORE money,  not scaring them off for life.   The council tax collectors should have just turned up and had a chat with them,  asked them if they wanted to pay for a license there and then and if not told them they had to leave.

I agree it would be nicer if you didn't need a license at all..  but if you are going to use it as a cash cow don't kill the cow making the milk..  encourage as many cows as possible!

12 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Thirty or so years ago this young girl would perhaps have went on to make millions through enterprise. She wouldn't have been fined that's certain in my mind!

Problem these days is that the run of the mill entrepreneur is kept down through fees for licences, qualification requirements and a lack of ability to compete with multinational corporations!

Thirty or more years ago the country wasn't so broke that it had to resort to fining you for living.

Honestly, step outside your front door and it is open warfare on your wallet, from council officials fining lemonade or littering an apple core, to catching the end of a bus lane, to private parking companies. Transgress a petty rule for a moment, as life dictates, and they're waiting for you, GOTCHA.

3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Thirty or more years ago the country wasn't so broke that it had to resort to fining you for living.

Honestly, step outside your front door and it is open warfare on your wallet, from council officials fining lemonade or littering an apple core, to catching the end of a bus lane, to private parking companies. Transgress a petty rule for a moment, as life dictates, and they're waiting for you, GOTCHA.

Yes. This is life nowadays. Crap!

34 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I see it as council greed..  they want to make money from the licences.

The stupidity is that they should be encouraging people to do this so they make MORE money,  not scaring them off for life.   The council tax collectors should have just turned up and had a chat with them,  asked them if they wanted to pay for a license there and then and if not told them they had to leave.

I agree it would be nicer if you didn't need a license at all..  but if you are going to use it as a cash cow don't kill the cow making the milk..  encourage as many cows as possible!

I disagree, you should not need to pay for a license for a kids fun lemonade stall, an activity that teaches so much. I'm even against a license if it's free.

But if a license is necessary, it could be issued on the spot or it could be obtained instantly online before the event. It should not require any human decision to grant. The online form could simply be size of stall, product, expected revenue, place, duration, date. An algorithm would decide if the free license should be granted. If someone turns up and finds you are selling alcohol not lemonade, or clearing a grand rather than a few quid, or have a marquee rather than a small table, then that is a different matter and you could be fined for breaching the license.

Edited by Hopeful

If they didn't clamp down then ordinary people could just set up and make a profit.  

That would never do - think of the likes of Tesco and all the officials that live by the clamp downs on the ordinary people. 

All the rules just for a car boot sale

Edited by twocents

Near me they have made 'residential areas' 20 mph zones. Typical knee jerk reaction from low-grade councillors when responding to to complaints of 'speeding drivers' at public meetings, you know the usual ones where a handful of perennial moaners turn up... Anyway, looking into it accident stats don't really justify this (why not a more 'reasonable' reduction to 25 mph?), but worse is the arbitrary nature of the roads limited, not purely residential but link roads accessing side roads with perfectly clear visibility... where doing 20 mph is a crawl.

Now a poor law means that people will break it... is this more about fines than road safety. And don't give me schools and children either they are 'in' the school grounds or not allowed to play out!