DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Things I should have bought

sarahbell

A webcam for my mum.

I can see some for sale but I suspect anything that arrives will need assistance to work. 

A chest freezer. And fillings for it.

Edited by sarahbell
  • Agree 3

I was standing in the middle of Morrisons about 6 weeks back, looking round at the packed shelves and wondering what I'd be wishing I had the foresight to pick up in a couple of months time.

Quite a lot as it turns out.

• Agree 5

More hand sanitiser. Had a few bottles but didn't consider the length this would be unavailable for. 

Using it more (unsurprisingly) but useful to have it in the car and around where hand washing cannot be done. 

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

A webcam for my mum.

I can see some for sale but I suspect anything that arrives will need assistance to work. 

A chest freezer. And fillings for it.

I'm glad I panicked a week ago and bough another freezer, the one I bought has more than doubled in price. I bought it for £200, it's now £450 for a shitty electriQ freezer :S

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eqbuintfreezer/electriq-eqbuintfreezer-built-under-freezer

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

57 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

A webcam for my mum.

Do you have an iPhone?

You could buy her a cheap second hand one.

Then Facetime -- which shouldn't be too difficult to set up. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JohnThePessimist said:

Tickets to New Zealand....

fuck off.

I am really glad that NZ closed it borders to non NZ people.  I've heard reports of distressed uber rich unable to fly there because although they may have a NZ passport, their pilot doesn't.

Plus - if this does go bad in NZ, Auckland will be another London.  Awful infrastructure, feral population in enclaves, plus maori and islander biker gangs, growing ethnic populations.

rural NZ is still wonderful, however.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Malthus said:

Uzi 9mm

Yep.. shame they sold out of those in Tesco due to panic buying...

The only time you'd probably experience a Uzi would be with your attempted acquisition with you asking around for one. 

This forum is a bit silly sometimes.

I wish I'd started growing stuff a month ago when I first had the idea. A webcam would have been handy too - they're all out of stock or mental prices.

The handy thing about going into self isolation a few days before anyone else started doing it is I had a few days of living it and had a chance to buy stuff before everyone else thought of it like seeds. There were also silly things I managed to buy before Amazon melted down like with my husband home we get through all the forks and teaspoons before the dishwasher is full or we could do with another bin in the living room if we're both at different ends. We're not going to die for the lack of a nearby bin or for having to wash a fork but it's going to get seriously old after a few months and really you need to be as comfortable as possible to survive mentally.

3 minutes ago, This Time said:

I wish I'd started growing stuff a month ago when I first had the idea. A webcam would have been handy too - they're all out of stock or mental prices.

The handy thing about going into self isolation a few days before anyone else started doing it is I had a few days of living it and had a chance to buy stuff before everyone else thought of it like seeds. There were also silly things I managed to buy before Amazon melted down like with my husband home we get through all the forks and teaspoons before the dishwasher is full or we could do with another bin in the living room if we're both at different ends. We're not going to die for the lack of a nearby bin or for having to wash a fork but it's going to get seriously old after a few months and really you need to be as comfortable as possible to survive mentally.

One thing my wife thought of was a bucket and a pool noodle.

Why?

Because you cut the pool noodle in half and wrap it round the top of the bucket, then you have a comfy emergency shit bucket for the garden.  If one is ill, the other one does not have to use the toilet inside at all.

I love my wife.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

9 minutes ago, This Time said:

Re webcam I’m sure I’ve used a phone and an app as a webcam. You may even be able to hack a dashcam or home security cam as a webcam. It may require some digging and searching though.

Edited by Ash4781b

15 hours ago, sam1994 said:

Do you have an iPhone?

You could buy her a cheap second hand one.

Then Facetime -- which shouldn't be too difficult to set up. 

No, she does have a mobile but I have no idea what sort it is or whether she ever switches it on. 
She's got a computer but would need help with anything that didn't work instantly.
Would just be reassuring to see her. Rather than just hear.

Edited by sarahbell

Wight Flight
8 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

No, she does have a mobile but I have no idea what sort it is or whether she ever switches it on. 
She's got a computer but would need help with anything that didn't work instantly.

Wasn't there some kind of bespoke tablet thingy being advertised a month or so back that was specifically aimed at technophobe grandparents?

Advert featured the Muppets IIRC?

Wight Flight
13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Wasn't there some kind of bespoke tablet thingy being advertised a month or so back that was specifically aimed at technophobe grandparents?

Advert featured the Muppets IIRC?

Yes, here you go. Facebook portal.

https://portal.facebook.com/gb/products/portal/?utm_source=gg&utm_medium=a_pla&utm_campaign=6525123359&utm_term=&utm_content=383979069080&utm_ad=82109063207&utm_location=9045787&utm_location2=&utm_placement=pla-818820467411&utm_adposition=&utm_device=t&utm_matchype=&utm_product=899-00080-13&utm_feed=&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmdzzBRC7ARIsANdqRRl29XmiK5a5m0SYEcVOE1nhyHMXGDIhgG1rTVhneY9l6ugs1faMwEYaAgNGEALw_wcB

A house in 2013.

Even more food than I did over the last month. I skimped on the quality proteins and they're hard to get now.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, sam1994 said:

Yep.. shame they sold out of those in Tesco due to panic buying...

The only time you'd probably experience a Uzi would be with your attempted acquisition with you asking around for one. 

This forum is a bit silly sometimes.

It’s the bullets that are hard to get not an actual gun btw

• Agree 2

portal purchased. if she doesn't like it I'm sure someone will .

she said she felt really isolated after her hip op. so def right thing to do

Edited by sarahbell