• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Byron

Time to move the capital to Manchester?

Anecdote to start.

I wanted to stay overnight on the M6 at a service area.

It was 2.000am and I was leaving at 0700

The fee was £15.

I objected and the security man standing next to the lone cashier said 'It's those tossers in London who think that £15 is nothing, they pay £30 for breakfast., if you leave by 0800, I haven't seen you.'

Even then there was a serious split  in the UK mainly caused by London getting out of kilter with the bulk of us.

London is now a liability to the UK and needs to be trimmed.

My suggestion is to demolish the House of Commons, Buckingham Palace etc and rebuild them in Manchester.

Strip the Metropolitan Police back to various boroughs and designate the Manchester Police as the lead force in the UK.

Move the Beeb lock stock and barrel.

Leave the City bankers where they are..

Brazil did it, why can't we?

5 minutes ago, Byron said:

Anecdote to start.

I wanted to stay overnight on the M6 at a service area.

It was 2.000am and I was leaving at 0700

The fee was £15.

I objected and the security man standing next to the lone cashier said 'It's those tossers in London who think that £15 is nothing, they pay £30 for breakfast., if you leave by 0800, I haven't seen you.'

Even then there was a serious split  in the UK mainly caused by London getting out of kilter with the bulk of us.

London is now a liability to the UK and needs to be trimmed.

My suggestion is to demolish the House of Commons, Buckingham Palace etc and rebuild them in Manchester.

Strip the Metropolitan Police back to various boroughs and designate the Manchester Police as the lead force in the UK.

Move the Beeb lock stock and barrel.

Leave the City bankers where they are..

Brazil did it, why can't we?

IIRC so did Nigeria ie create a new capital. London could become a separate country as the Londoners want to stay in the EU and we could build a wall, a big beautiful wall around the M25. We could have a dual referendum with two questions, 1 should we allow London to be part of the UK? Yes or No and 2 should we allow Scotland to be part of the UK? Yes or No. I will vote NO on both counts.

I actually this kind of idea would help the UK a lot. Take the press off the over heated south, and redistribute some of the economy to the impoverished north.  You don't even need to move everything - just make it the new seat of UK government. 

Malaysia built an entire city to act as its political capital. 

Edited by SCC

I moved from the South to the North a few years back.

Best decision I think we've ever made. 

My mates in London thought I was mental...until they came to visit.

"Fucking hell Hartman, this is alright isn't it?"

"It is."

"How much is that detached over there?"

I tell them.

"Fucking hell."

I like to cultivate the myth of the 'grim North'. Helps keep the wankers out :)

20 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Saw what you did there.

More of a "Kung Fu International" man myself like...

XYY

JCC is one of my favourites!

18 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

"It is."

I tell them.

"Fucking hell."

Well done Sgt. That promotion to Staff Sgt can't be far off. Keep up the good work. We don't want those shandy drinkers coming up here, eating all our Parmos!

Aye I quite liked the bit of the North I visited a few times, but for all you Londoners out there, it was total shit! The chrome ornaments weren't quite right in the cocktail bars! And the tits weren't plastic enough!

7 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

"It is."

I tell them.

"Fucking hell."

It is for this reason I only invite people over to North Wales when it is pissing down with rain. 

50 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I got my wheelbarrow in Bridgwater many years ago and it hasn't failed me yet. 

It's not very clever though, is it?

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Bridgwater should be the capital!:o

There! I have spoken!

My Ancesteral roots (on my mother's side at least)..   beautiful part of the world.

Having lived in both,  I'd say the South could do with better infrastructure and fewer people..  the North better weather and more woodland.  

what they should also do is forget expanding Heathrow airport and have a main "hub" airport in the middle of the country. for many people flying from heathrow involves a hotel stay and travelling down the day before.

3 minutes ago, Nosler said:

what they should also do is forget expanding Heathrow airport and have a main "hub" airport in the middle of the country. for many people flying from heathrow involves a hotel stay and travelling down the day before.

I don't know,  both Heathrow and Manchester are pretty accessible..  I would have thought even if you lived in between neither would be more than a couple hours away by car. Parking charges are pretty eye watering though,  even if you use the various park and ride services.

18 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I don't know,  both Heathrow and Manchester are pretty accessible..  I would have thought even if you lived in between neither would be more than a couple hours away by car. Parking charges are pretty eye watering though,  even if you use the various park and ride services.

I live in Scotland. Unless the flight from Heathrow is in the evening I'd have to travel down the day before :(

For me to fly from Heathrow realistically means a hotel stay at the start and end of the holiday in Heathrow :(

I honestly think a hub airport in North England would allow many of us jocks to travel further afield than Tenerife.