DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Home gym equipment

Wight Flight

I'd imagine there will be a massive shortage now. We've got two sets of old rusty benches and weights that I was trying to think of a way to get rid of just a few months ago. Not only I will start using one of them myself now but could probably sell the other one for a bit more than originally bought on gumtree for

34 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Lads have asked for bench, bar, weights etc.

At least 100kg and able to incline bench press.

Any of you great guys know where they are in stock?

What I was trying to say is - buy them now, there will be massive demand once everyone on Monday realises that all the gyms are shut! 

Happy Renting
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Why not get them a push-lawnmower, and some gardening tools?

An indoor lawn mowing simulator exercise machine might work.

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Bear Hug said:

What I was trying to say is - buy them now, there will be massive demand once everyone on Monday realises that all the gyms are shut! 

That's the plan. Trying to buy today.

I know they can just go all 'Rocky' but if I can get some kit it will help family harmony.

• Agree 1

The Generation Game
6 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

That's the plan. Trying to buy today.

I know they can just go all 'Rocky' but if I can get some kit it will help family harmony.

I look forward to seeing some photos of your sons punching 5kg of chicken. 

Edited by The Generation Game
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

I look forward to seeing some photos of your sons punching 5kg of chicken. 

Only 1kg of chicken left.

Need to get a dead cow.

But gym kit all sorted. Assuming they will deliver. Which is probably 50:50

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

Why not get them a push-lawnmower, and some gardening tools?

This is a good idea.

They can come and mow my lawn. I promise I won't go anywhere near. But mind the bee hives :)

Fully Detached

Try Powerhouse Fitness and other online suppliers of proper kit, not the Argos stuff. If your boys are in their teens they'll outgrow the Fisher Price stuff in no time and you'll be left having to shell out for proper kit anyway. Plus, get them a power rack so they have the safety bars in case they decide to lift alone. And an adjustable incline bench.

Ebay used to be brilliant for full setups, but maybe the online sites will be desperate for the business now?

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
Just now, Fully Detached said:

Try Powerhouse Fitness and other online suppliers of proper kit, not the Argos stuff. If your boys are in their teens they'll outgrow the Fisher Price stuff in no time and you'll be left having to shell out for proper kit anyway. Plus, get them a power rack so they have the safety bars in case they decide to lift alone. And an adjustable incline bench.

Ebay used to be brilliant for full setups, but maybe the online sites will be desperate for the business now?

Got it sorted. Wasn't cheap. 

They are both gym bunnies so knew what they needed. It will be used long term so not a total waste of money.

Dartboard is next on the list. I prepped on food but missed this stuff.

• Agree 2

Southmartin

I've just emailed my local gym:

Hi [name]

I think we’ve spoken before - i’ve been a member at the [gym] for a couple of years now, and I fully support the action taken in light of government advice.

But of course I would like to keep up my training, and I know you guys will be taking a huge financial hit - so I was wondering if there was a way we could help each other out?

Specifically I was wondering if you'd consider ‘renting’ some weights to me? I mean I’d pay for them (and a deposit in advance of course)  but then at least you’d be earning some income (and you might find others who’d like to do the same thing?) and I’d get to keep working out but from home.

And off course, the minute you get the go ahead to re-open, I'd return them to you.

I was thinking that all i’d need would be perhaps an olympic bar, 2x20kg plates, a couple of 10kg plates, and maybe 4x 5kg plates - that would allow me to be pretty flexible and maintain my current workout. I’d happily come and collect of course, and can provide ID and Council Tax bills etc if you were worried about potential theft.

If it worked you could ask a few other members if they wanted to do similar (though maybe only with the smaller, more mobile kit you have there!) no one wants to be unplugging a running machine and trying to get it up the stairs!

What do you think? Happy to do a call about it if you like the idea

Best wishes

• Agree 2

You're far too late tbh, if this was 2 weeks ago maybe you'd have had a chance.

Not one to brag but I'm glad I bought this pull bar kit last autumn:

https://www.xorbars.co.uk/product/package-5-pull-up-bar-5ft-x-2-back-row-bar-pine-3-5ft-x-1/

You can buy the bars separately, and get the wood and cement from a local builder's depot. That's what I've done - I noticed they've massively upped their prices too, pretty sure that kit was £499... (which I thought at the time was daylight robbery)

59 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

I've just emailed my local gym:

Hi [name]

I think we’ve spoken before - i’ve been a member at the [gym] for a couple of years now, and I fully support the action taken in light of government advice.

But of course I would like to keep up my training, and I know you guys will be taking a huge financial hit - so I was wondering if there was a way we could help each other out?

Specifically I was wondering if you'd consider ‘renting’ some weights to me? I mean I’d pay for them (and a deposit in advance of course)  but then at least you’d be earning some income (and you might find others who’d like to do the same thing?) and I’d get to keep working out but from home.

And off course, the minute you get the go ahead to re-open, I'd return them to you.

I was thinking that all i’d need would be perhaps an olympic bar, 2x20kg plates, a couple of 10kg plates, and maybe 4x 5kg plates - that would allow me to be pretty flexible and maintain my current workout. I’d happily come and collect of course, and can provide ID and Council Tax bills etc if you were worried about potential theft.

If it worked you could ask a few other members if they wanted to do similar (though maybe only with the smaller, more mobile kit you have there!) no one wants to be unplugging a running machine and trying to get it up the stairs!

What do you think? Happy to do a call about it if you like the idea

Best wishes

Maybe point out that if you end up buying your own kit there wouldn't be much point in continuing your membership in the future.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, spygirl said:

Get some old cartons.

Fill them with water.

Never underestimate how much water weighs.

These ain’t light lol

090C1A88-156D-43EF-B87A-C89BFBCDA6F9.jpeg

Edited by stokiescum

My home gym is the following:

- A pair of PowerBlock Adjustable Dumbells

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Block-Sport-Adjustable-Dumbbell/dp/B000A6T9I8

....argos also have something similar:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8863593

- A foam roller

- A thick folding mat, something like this:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6085861

- A thinner, non-slip mat kinda like this:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6195012

- A pull up bar that you hook over your door, like this:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6180223

- A suspension trainer, like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yorimi-Trainer-Adjustable-Fitness-Suspension/dp/B085WRKKGC

Now bear in mind I'm a skinny cunt who doesn't need really heavy weights, but IMO the above provides a good home workout for most people with a small footprint. (In my case, a home gym that can fit into the corner of a 1 bed flat!)

I put the pull up bar over the door and then hang the suspension trainer over it to do incline pulls, with the non slip mat beneath me:

.... I also find the non-slip mat to be very useful to give me a solid footing when doing squats.

The irony of this is that if this goes on for say 3 months and I get into the way of exercising at home, I'll never be going back to a gym again.

Edited by JoeDavola

Guest Account
36 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

The irony of this is that if this goes on for say 3 months and I get into the way of exercising at home, I'll never be going back to a gym again.

This will certainly make people realise how disgusting gyms are. Also full of narcissists, IMLE.

The world will be a better place if people stop jumping into their cars and driving to the gym to exercise, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Heffalump said:

This will certainly make people realise how disgusting gyms are. Also full of narcissists, IMLE.

The world will be a better place if people stop jumping into their cars and driving to the gym to exercise, IMO.

Yes I do wonder if gyms will take a long term hit because of this as people become more mindful of how sanitary their environment is.

With a decent home setup (a worthwhile investment if you're actually serious about exercising on a regular basis), a gym just isn't a necessity for the average person who wants to stay healthy.

Lift 3 times a week and go for a brisk walk every day and you'll be grand.

EDIT: And I'm actually enjoying home workouts more than the gym because the equipment is always available, and I don't have to put up with other gym members!

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1