DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Jobs in the next economic cycle

Lincs

The reflation that has been long talked about in these parts looks like it may now be around the corner. Talk about big infrastructure spending seems commonplace now along with all the free money the government looks set to deploy. 

Interested to hear opinions on booming sectors in the next 5 or 10 years. Toying with the idea of a career change myself; mech eng grad currently working as an M&E consultant. In all likelihood I'll stick with it as im only a few years into it (albeit it in my mid 30s) and I suspect certain areas of building services will do well out of it. But not sure I'm entirely sold on the industry. 

China has massively bloated its copybook.

1) All sectors that have seen work go to China -electronics manufacturing, telecoms kit, will be coming back - rapidly.

The US miliarty were already lobbying to block Chinese access to silicon fabrication.

The cluster fuck thats is Waawee was making their case pretty easy to argue.

WuFlu is another nail in Chinas coffin.

Im also assuming they will be large scale civil disturbance in China now.

2) Massive spend in foreigners Id systems. All countries, be they US or wet European ones, will be investing in migrant register n control systems.

20 hours ago, Lincs said:

The reflation that has been long talked about in these parts looks like it may now be around the corner. Talk about big infrastructure spending seems commonplace now along with all the free money the government looks set to deploy. 

Interested to hear opinions on booming sectors in the next 5 or 10 years. Toying with the idea of a career change myself; mech eng grad currently working as an M&E consultant. In all likelihood I'll stick with it as im only a few years into it (albeit it in my mid 30s) and I suspect certain areas of building services will do well out of it. But not sure I'm entirely sold on the industry. 

May as well stick with it if you are earning an okay crust IMO. I suspect if you jumped into another industry you'd have frustrations there too, maybe different ones. All jobs are pretty s**t. I'm not even sure I ever liked chemistry, somehow ended up as a chemist and now run a business making/processing them. 

I see the world splitting. Russia/China/Europe on one side. The US on the other. Civil unrest in the US seems much more likely than civil unrest in China.

Russia/China/Europe axis will come out much stronger. Italy will remember which nations helped and which didn't.

Expect the Italians to vote down the Russia sanctions at the next opportunity.

Agent ZigZag
6 hours ago, spygirl said:

China has massively bloated its copybook.

1) All sectors that have seen work go to China -electronics manufacturing, telecoms kit, will be coming back - rapidly.

The US miliarty were already lobbying to block Chinese access to silicon fabrication.

The cluster fuck thats is Waawee was making their case pretty easy to argue.

WuFlu is another nail in Chinas coffin.

Im also assuming they will be large scale civil disturbance in China now.

2) Massive spend in foreigners Id systems. All countries, be they US or wet European ones, will be investing in migrant register n control systems.

I guess you dont like Johnny foreigner

2 hours ago, Errol said:

I see the world splitting. Russia/China/Europe on one side. The US on the other. Civil unrest in the US seems much more likely than civil unrest in China.

Russia/China/Europe axis will come out much stronger. Italy will remember which nations helped and which didn't.

Expect the Italians to vote down the Russia sanctions at the next opportunity.

Nope.

The US just looks split whereas it's quite coherent.

Whereas China looks passive but is a potential bomb.

2 hours ago, Agent ZigZag said:

I guess you dont like Johnny foreigner

No.

I'm seeing most countries struggle with their regular and irregular migrant population.

Most countries cannot cope now everywhere is less than 30h on a plane.

The worlds changed, migration policies have to change.

4 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

May as well stick with it if you are earning an okay crust IMO. I suspect if you jumped into another industry you'd have frustrations there too, maybe different ones. All jobs are pretty s**t. I'm not even sure I ever liked chemistry, somehow ended up as a chemist and now run a business making/processing them. 

Seems like sound advice. I probably need to get this whole dream (delusion) of finding a job I love. Finding something that's bearable and pays ok is better thsn most people manage. 

• 8 months later...

Bump on this, would’ve thought Mechanical Engineer as mentioned in the OP would be a good skill for the next cycle if there is a focus on production and govt spending on retooling the economy again?

@DurhamBorn

I hope so because I’m in a similar boat :D Would certainly be open to a move to one of the projects mentioned if they happen in the north east (already near).

I work in construction. A lot of the major growth and capital projects have been in Middle East / Asia over the last ten years ... that said London has put up plenty of towers. A BK would put the breaks on for a bit, but people will always need to build things.

Infrastructure investment from UK gov would hopefully lead to some major capital projects taking place in this country.

Archived