DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Mass Stupidity

MrPin

I'm sure everyone has had flu before. I certainly did in 1988 I think. I went to the doctor, and immediately got a 2 week sicknote. Doctor had seen so many, he said take it easy for a fortnight. There was no Internet or twitter then. Who knows where the virus originated, or what it was?

We are seeing the downside of mass communication, where stupidity travels so quickly. Rumours are immediately "true", and COW URINE cures everything.

• Agree 3

Frank Hovis
1 hour ago, This Time said:

No. This thing has the potential to wipe out humanity. People aren't panicking enough.

I think Mr Pin is referring to the false information being spread via social media about how you can avoid catching it and the ten second lung test for how you can tell if you have it.  And also that it was developed as a weapon by China / the US / Russia.

This is as distinct from things that give genuine benefit like Vit D and Zinc and whatever that chemical is.

And it doesn't really have the potential to wipe out humanity does it?

It looks like 1.5% absolute tops.  Sure that's bad enough as even if you're not in that 1.5% you may well know someone who is.

Edited by Frank Hovis
"weapoon" - a sharpened spoon
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think Mr Pin is referring to the false information being spread via social media about how you can avoid catching it and the ten second lung test for how you can tell if you have it.  And also that it was developed as a weapon by China / the US / Russia.

This is as distinct from things that give genuine benefit like Vit D and Zinc and whatever that chemical is.

And it doesn't really have the potential to wipe out humanity does it?

It looks like 1.5% absolute tops.  Sure that's bad enough as even if you're not in that 1.5% you may well know someone who is.

1% of 7.7 billion is still 700'000 lives lost.

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, Snark said:

That's not wiping out humanity; that's not even taking the population level back one year.

• Agree 7

2 minutes ago, Snark said:

maths is a little off there.

by my calc its 77million. although there's a lot of zeros to contend with so could be wrong

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's not wiping out humanity; that's not even taking the population level back one year.

It's 77 million.  But still that's not wiping out humanity either. But comparable with deaths from second World War. 

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

maths is a little off there.

by my calc its 77million. although there's a lot of zeros to contend with so could be wrong

I think I missed some zeros, i'd worked it out yesterday based on a 10 billion (easier to work with) population and at the death rates of 2% (which is what it appears to roughly be, when you don't take into consideration the unreported cases), obviously around 200'000'000.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Wiping out humanity happens when we keep getting it every 6-12 months until eventually it triggers a cytokine storm and you die. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, This Time said:

Wiping out humanity happens when we keep getting it every 6-12 months until eventually it triggers a cytokine storm and you die. 

If we’re going all apocalyptic for a moment and assuming that we’re not able to produce a vaccine or come up with effective drugs to treat it, then that still doesn’t lead to the extinction of humanity. Smallpox was endemic until the late 70s and that had a kill rate of 30%.

• Agree 2