DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Interpreting share announcements

Sugarlips

As an amateur who finally has the time to do some research, fully aware that a little knowledge can be dangerous..

I have started reading annual reports and other announcements that are uploaded to the HSBC sharedealing platform.

in the last couple of days I’ve noticed a few “becoming a substantial shareholder” announcements and when I look it’s Citibank or Morgan Stanley that have bought stock in for example SUL (ASX retail bit like Halfords)

is this because they think it’s a good buy or because they’ve taken an equity stake to finance them in troubled times?

Hello, I have no idea but I've only just begun doing research myself.

Maybe you can help me out, I'm working on an excel sheet to help me calculate the best options out there, its looks like this:

230132427_ExcelCalcSheet.png.de122b1de2642d3fd41a42c515b40d0c.png

The issue is there is 4000 lines and I won't be ab;le to do it myself, but if I post it as a shared sheet I could go through it faster.

Maybe @DurhamBorn, @Loki, @janch or @Ponty Mython would be interested in helping out too?

I'm using this site to get the data for the Average 12 weeks, and Trading 212 for Dividend Yield, Profit Margin and Debt to assets.

Not sure I'd be much use as I don't know one end of a computer from the other:D

Also I don't have anything much to invest with so I probably won't be buying. 

I'm a buy and hold type of person and I have everything written on pieces of paper!

I can put some donkey work in on the graph when I get a chance (Working away from home during the week) but I know nothing about picking stocks, even my deflation stocks I've picked up on the main thread

From memory @longtomsilver has picked some winners and @201p knows his stuff

longtomsilver
1 hour ago, Loki said:

I can put some donkey work in on the graph when I get a chance (Working away from home during the week) but I know nothing about picking stocks, even my deflation stocks I've picked up on the main thread

From memory @longtomsilver has picked some winners and @201p knows his stuff

It's less about picking stocks and more about choosing businesses you want to be invested in. Quite a few people have asked me for advice of late and I've pointed them to global tracker funds, that way I'm not on the hook if it goes Pete tongue.

One company that has done well for me in the past and I expect to do so again is IQE. The most recent trading update remains upbeat and I believe they have the products and intellectual properties future markets will require, they're just not there yet.  

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent".

Archived