DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Side Hustles / Working From Home

Hardhat

Hi all,

In this relatively long under-employment period for many, does anyone know any good "work from home" jobs that can be done to pick up some extra cash?

One I know of that I've done in the past is SEO copywriting, you generally get paid by the word. Pretty crap rates iirc, but it's something. There are loads of websites who offer this service, and they are usually looking for writers. You need to write articles to a word count and include certain keywords.

Listverse.com will pay you $100 for writing a top-ten list (i.e. the ten most unusual celebrity deaths, that kind of thing)

There's also eBay / online selling, especially if you're using this time to sort your gaff out and get rid of some old items.

People also say they take online surveys for a bit of extra cash.

Anyone know of any more?

• Agree 1

I used to farm currency in certain huge online games or level peoples carectors up .for an hourly rate forget it I did it has a sideline has I enjoyed the games .i could make maybe 30 a day that was maybe 12 years ago sounds crap but I did it 7 days a week and social could never catch you .

• Agree 4

• 2 months later...
Austin Allegro

I've heard good reports of teaching English online to Chinese kids. You don't need formal qualifications for some courses, they just want to practice conversation. I know some people getting $20 US per hour for this, although you may need to work unsocial hours due to the time difference.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've done a couple of things:

EBay - selling anything I don't use any more. Once I got the ball rolling I cleared a load of stuff out, the key is just to be honest with yourself about whether you really need to keep something. Sold £300 worth of stuff over the last 3 weeks.

Amazon Mechanical Turk - earnt about $60 on here over maybe 10 hours work. Not that great, and if you are UK based you can only spend the money as Amazon.com gift card! (US workers can send the money to a bank account). Probably not worth it from the UK at the moment, also fairly mind numbing work for the most part.

Edited by Hardhat
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Austin Allegro

I did Mechanical Turk but it was ghastly - I was transcribing doctor's prescription notes and getting paid about 7p per hour. Apparently pay improves the more you gain a good reputation on the site though.

Matched Betting worked quite well for me, I made about £400 (tax free) in the first month, working for about 30 minutes a day, but there is a law of diminishing returns as the introductory offers dry up and you have to start laying complicated accumulator bets etc. Worth a look for people good with numbers though, once sporting events are back up again.

Edited by Austin Allegro
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I did Mechanical Turk but it was ghastly - I was transcribing doctor's prescription notes and getting paid about 7p per hour. Apparently pay improves the more you gain a good reputation on the site though.

Matched Betting worked quite well for me, I made about £400 (tax free) in the first month, working for about 30 minutes a day, but there is a law of diminishing returns as the introductory offers dry up and you have to start laying complicated accumulator bets etc. Worth a look for people good with numbers though, once sporting events are back up again.

I did mech Turk too, made virtually nothing. Rev the transcription site pure pure awful. Did matched betting for about 18 months, made around 500 a month but you work for it and if you fuck up you can lose money. You get banned pretty quickly. Also the offers are just not there any more, I missed the boat and I started in 2016. Basically I went back to work part time because even on minimum wage it’s an easier income. I just couldn’t make working from home pay.

• Agree 1

Mechanical Turk opens up quite a lot after you've got 500 completed HITs, and there are often surveys paying $1-5 that seem more "worth it". A lot of it is unavoidably mind numbing work though. I also found it interesting for the bizzaro factor of a lot of the tasks, there's something very creepy / uncanny about some of it.

The biggest problem for me is that you can only spend the money on Amazon.com, not even Amazon.co.uk. Not a lot of point.

Edited by Hardhat
Typo
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Austin Allegro

I've been researching this a bit more and there is a very good series of vids by a young Italian gentleman living in the UK, he lists about 30 different jobs.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

I might look into buying a van and advertise has a man with a van .you can get 30/40 quid for moveing a few items across the city .the downside is friends expecting it for free.

Heart's Ease

Prolific are the most interesting of the survey sites - they have a good slice of the international academic market so not just the usual clicks.  

On 04/08/2020 at 10:19, Heart's Ease said:

Prolific are the most interesting of the survey sites - they have a good slice of the international academic market so not just the usual clicks.  

I've had a dabble on prolific for the past month and have made the princely sum of £40, although I was away for a week ..

3 hours ago, lid said:

I've had a dabble on prolific for the past month and have made the princely sum of £40, although I was away for a week ..

How many hours do you reckon you put in?

25 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

How many hours do you reckon you put in?

too many. you need to be near the laptop to hear the notification thingy ping. some get filled up before you can participate. you might get lucky and get the odd £3 earner but most are a quid or thereabouts

i was just trying it out to see what it was all about but if i'd been sat at laptop for 40 hours it wouldn't be an exaggeration ie a quid an hour. load of pony :D

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

YouTube for me. I get about half a million views per month. It's a bit of a numbers game.

Don't be shy! Link your channel then.

I might get the thought police kicking my door in !

I enjoy putting up videos. I know the subjects that work for me and if I were to put my mind to it I could make a bit of cash but you just become a slave to youtube instead of some other boss in the end.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

On 03/10/2020 at 20:00, Dave Bloke said:

YouTube for me. I get about half a million views per month. It's a bit of a numbers game.

Just out of interest, how much £ do you reckon you make for that 500k and how long did it take you to grow that following? you don't have to say but I'd be interested in a ballpark.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Hardhat said:

Just out of interest, how much £ do you reckon you make for that 500k and how long did it take you to grow that following? you don't have to say but I'd be interested in a ballpark.

You need a certain number of views to start earning.  I remember Scotty Kilmer quoting the figure of 0.75c per view so 500k is £3,750 per month.  That could be because he's one of the top guys and smaller viewing numbers don't get that rate.

Hubnut (buys cheap interesting cars and repairs and restores them amateurishly - he'd probably agree with this description) said it was very variable for him in a video where he explained it but I got the impression it was about £25k - £35k a year; enough to allow him to pursue what is also his hobby as a job.

12 hours ago, Hardhat said:

You should earn 500 a month with that. In my case 200.

I'll reply a bit more later.

• Informative 1

Ok just some info. I don't monetize everything so I earn around 1 dollar per thousand views, which seems pretty average for YT.

You can invest a lot of time in doing high production value YT videos and not get a single view. I worked for a company that hired a web agency to produce a viral video - they were pretty chuffed with what they'd done and we were in a big group meeting where the CEO announced they'd had 3000 views in the last week. Someone piped up (not me) to say, in the same time one of Dave Bloke's videos got 150,000 views.

Then there are people like Mark Felton (on YT) who are very knowledgeable about a niche, can put a video together out of archive material with a story and get a million views in a month. They do 1 video per week. But it is not easy to build a following.

Having tried what Mark did I decided to go for quantity - after all quantity has its own quality. I video a lot of stuff - changing the belt in my kenwood mixer, I video it and put it online. I spotted something when I was out and about last week, spent a minute videoing it and uploaded straight from my phone. Checked today and nearly 20K views and it's earned 30 dollars already (not bad). As it is over 20K views it is gaining a life through Youtube recommends and will hopefully go on to bigger and better things. I once had a video do 4 million views in 48 hours but it had some copyright material that a Korean TV company claimed (I think wrongly) and I took it down. I could have re-uploaded without the offending bit but it would never have got the same views and it was about a current event so a year later it no longer mattered. A lot of stuff only gets a few hundred views though.

If I were starting fresh I would set up separate channels for my areas of interest and keep everything in silos. Find what works, delete the rest and focus on producing content for stuff that works well. Why don't I do that now? I'm afraid to break what seems to work reasonably well for me for little effort chasing dreams.

Edited by Dave Bloke
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 4

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

Starting today, all Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) Worker payments will be transferred to the payment method of your choice on a regular schedule. This new payment experience has replaced the now deprecated earnings transfer option, and will enable you to have your MTurk payments deposited directly to your virtual US bank account or your Amazon.com gift card balance every 3, 7, 14, or 30 days.

In order to work on HITs, you will need to confirm a payment schedule. To do so, the next time you log onto your MTurk Worker account click on Payment Preferences in the Earnings tab on your Dashboard. From there, select the Payment method and Payment frequency of your choice, and click Confirm.

If you want your MTurk payments deposited directly to your virtual US bank account, you can add it to your MTurk account by following these steps:

•       Click the “Add a bank account to enable this option” hyperlink to the right of the option that says “Transfer to your bank account” (this option is currently disabled because you haven’t added a bank account yet)
•       On the “Add US Bank Account” page, verify that your bank account holder name and your MTurk account name match, add your account and routing numbers, then click “Add bank account”

If you don’t currently have a virtual US bank account, you may use any third-party service to get one. These services help you transfer money from your virtual US bank account to your local bank account. We recommend you do your own research before choosing a third-party service. One example of such a service is Hyperwallet. If you’d like to set up a bank account using Hyperwallet, click the orange “Don’t have a US Bank Account?” dropdown near the bottom of the page, then click “Set Up Bank Account with Hyperwallet” to get started. HyperWallet is not affiliated with Amazon or MTurk and separate terms and conditions apply to your use of HyperWallet services.

If you have any questions or are having issues specific to the MTurk experience, please contact us at www.mturk.com/contact-us.

If you have any questions about Hyperwallet, please visit their Support Center (https://worker.hyperwallet.com/hw2web/consumer/page/contact.xhtml) or contact them at [email protected].

Sincerely,

The MTurk Team

If anyone's good at creative writing then something like Copify might be worth a look. You basically get paid to write blog articles of 300-500 words. If you can type quickly it's a piece of piss.

Edited by spunko

On 03/08/2020 at 19:55, stokiescum said:

I might look into buying a van and advertise has a man with a van .you can get 30/40 quid for moveing a few items across the city .the downside is friends expecting it for free.

Another downside is you'll end up lifting heavy stuff most of the time, and doing your back in. 

• Informative 1