DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Are they watering down the gas?

blobloblob

Or is it a problem with my cooker?

Doesn't seem to be boiling water as quickly when turned up to the same position, and seemingly same amount of flame.

Tinfoil hat at the ready.....

5 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

Doesn't seem to be boiling water as quickly when turned up to the same position, and seemingly same amount of flame.

Can't help you with that but something is definitely up with the electricity 

fan.gif

• Agree 6
  • Lol 1

Popuplights
1 minute ago, Errol said:

Given all the businesses shut down, both electricty and gas usage are probably lower than normal.

The wholesale price of natural gas is at a multiyear low ,same as oil

On the gas front, I have noticed that some days there does seem to be a healthier looking flame than others. I thought that there must be some day to day variation in the gas pressure. Anyway, one day I happened the think about it while someone from the gas people was changing a meter. My question was whether the gas was regulated to an absolute pressure or pressure above atmospheric. He asked me why I was asking and when I told him he pointed out that the ambient temperature was more likely the reason for the apparent variation in the gas supply. I had totally forgotten about Mr. Charles.

• Agree 1

Probably not “watering it down”..  the allowable calorific value range is quite tight:

“In the National Grid the CV ranges from 37.5 to 43.0 MJ/ 3 “

But the allowable pressure range seems a bit greater.. 30 to 75mbar.   So they may have dropped the pressure a bit..  but if that’s the case you’re flowing less and thus not paying as much either.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

They've increased the air pressure across the UK to quell the Coronavirus

They announced this new measure at 5.00pm today

Edited by Hopeful
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

17 minutes ago, Errol said:

Given all the businesses shut down, both electricty and gas usage are probably lower than normal.

Exceeded by the number of houses with the central heating on all day, cooking at home, more baths/showers etc. And if course fewer peaks and troughs in demand. (The pipes normally build up pressure when demand is low to cover the peaks )

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Probably not “watering it down”..  the allowable calorific value range is quite tight:

“In the National Grid the CV ranges from 37.5 to 43.0 MJ/ 3 “

But the allowable pressure range seems a bit greater.. 30 to 75mbar.   So they may have dropped the pressure a bit..  but if that’s the case you’re flowing less and thus not paying as much either.

Pressure is set by a regulator at the meter. Should be around 21 mb

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Kurt Barlow
1 hour ago, snaga said:

yes, here's the engineer watering down his gas. May also explain low water pressure.

image.thumb.png.8a889da61e6fe8ec69f7348f3d24b22d.png

another XYY snap. This time bereft of his Syrup. :D

• Agree 4

One percent
1 hour ago, snaga said:

yes, here's the engineer watering down his gas. May also explain low water pressure.

image.thumb.png.8a889da61e6fe8ec69f7348f3d24b22d.png

Apologies, i just posted this on the meme thread. Didn’t see it here. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bobo said:

That's where the temperature comes in. If the pressure is constant then the flow should be constant. But that is volume, you get a given amount of heat from a given mass of gas, assuming the same composition. At a lower ambient temperature you will get a greater mass flow for a given volume flow. As Mr Pin says the gas shrinks.

Edit to add, just the same as filling a car with cold fuel.

Edited by Rare Bear
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

That's where the temperature comes in. If the pressure is constant then the flow should be constant. But that is volume, you get a given amount of heat from a given mass of gas, assuming the same composition. At a lower ambient temperature you will get a greater mass flow for a given volume flow. As Mr Pin says the gas shrinks.

You're overthinking it a tad. Calorific value won't change much in our climate and some meters are indoors anyway.

• Agree 1

longtomsilver
3 hours ago, Option5 said:

Exceeded by the number of houses with the central heating on all day, cooking at home, more baths/showers etc. And if course fewer peaks and troughs in demand. (The pipes normally build up pressure when demand is low to cover the peaks )

No one can possible have had their heating on today? I haven't had mine on all year!

• Agree 2

One percent
16 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

No one can possible have had their heating on today? I haven't had mine on all year!

Ive a new heating system with a control recommended by the plumber and sparky. Bloody thing doesnt have a boost and im forever leaving it on overnight, wondering why im getting hot flushes throughout the night. Taken to take the damn thing to bed so i can check it if it feels too warm. 

• Lol 1

OurDayWillCome
17 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Wanker a few doors down had his wood burner pumping out shit. Me and my daughter had to get out of the lovely sun and retreat into the house.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Bobthebuilder
2 hours ago, bobo said:

21mb working pressure at the meter, no less than -1 so 20 mb at the appliance burner pressure, bread and butter stuff.

You would not believe the amount of times i have been called out to a non working boiler when its been a faulty regulator thats causing the problem.(lets forget the 5 plumbers who went in before me and couldnt find a problem with the boiler).

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

21mb working pressure at the meter, no less than -1 so 20 mb at the appliance burner pressure, bread and butter stuff.

You would not believe the amount of times i have been called out to a non working boiler when its been a faulty regulator thats causing the problem.(lets forget the 5 plumbers who went in before me and couldnt find a problem with the boiler).

I used to do it for a living. Employed quite a few as well. Your ratio of thickos far underestimates my own. I eventually gave it up after years of running around like a madman fixing mistakes. Did most/all 2nd fix pfi schools 2000 to 2009 in Scotland and beyond. Never again ptsd lol

• Agree 1