• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Roger_Mellie

The lockdown - no driving

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I did notice even less people out on today’s walk compared to yesterday. Will be interesting to see how the number of people going out for basic exercise changes over the coming weeks.

The numbers going out will be highly correlated with weather conditions.

[As soon as the rain comes they'll stop]

37 minutes ago, Big Boy said:

Will it be socially acceptable to wear a mask?  And I don't just mean potential ridicule, but actual hostility.  After all, if you have a mask then you are a selfish mask hoarder that has taken it away from an NHS worker.

And masks don't work anyway (unless you're an NHS worker).  All we need to do is wash our hands while singing Happy Birthday and stay 6 feet away from others - that worked well for Boris....

Saw this on the So-Called BBC today (my bold):

US nurse makes emotional plea for protection

Sonja Reinert, a nurse in a maternity ward at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, made an emotional plea on her Facebook page, calling for people to look around for any masks they may have at home.

She also said that people had been stealing hand sanitizers from the hospital and staff were no longer able to leave them around patients' rooms.

"We need them. We don't have a lot. If you have face masks, any kind of face mask is better than nothing."

The hospital is holding a donation drive

to collect protective gear for medical workers.

At least 56 people have died from coronavirus in Georgia.

Posted (edited)
Just now, spunko said:

Well yes except the Stasi setting up road blocks :D

Oh I’ve not come across them. Yet.

edit: just make sure you have your papers

Edited by Ash4781b

15 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have never heard this word "furlough" before until recent days. It seems like another US import. Don't we call it gardening leave?

No. At the end of gardening leave you don't have a job (hmmm. You might have a point)

But I think it is quite clever. I assume it is based on fallow, but by inventing a new word they can assure that anyone looking for information on furlough will get the results they need on page 1.

Just now, Wight Flight said:

No. At the end of gardening leave you don't have a job (hmmm. You might have a point)

But I think it is quite clever. I assume it is based on fallow, but by inventing a new word they can assure that anyone looking for information on furlough will get the results they need on page 1.

Oi! I just remembered, I have a bone to pick with you. I tried one of those posh COOK ready meals on your recommendation and it was shit. I want back my £4.50

On second thoughts maybe it was your plan all along to avenge for my suggestion that the Joker is a very good film and worth renting. :CryBaby:

12 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Oh I’ve not come across them. Yet.

edit: just make sure you have your papers

I have mein Papieren all ready, along with my false German accent.

21 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have never heard this word "furlough" before until recent days. It seems like another US import. Don't we call it gardening leave?

No that's something different, normally when you are leaving.

I offered to take the 80%, maybe myself and my counterpart could take alternative weeks but the boss wasn't interested. Said we'd carry on and be paid full time even if there wasn't work to occupy us both full time. Tbh there have been periods over the last 9 years I've been underemployed, but need to be there if shtf so I'm used to it. May look at some online courses to do while I'm working :)

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Oi! I just remembered, I have a bone to pick with you. I tried one of those posh COOK ready meals on your recommendation and it was shit. I want back my £4.50

On second thoughts maybe it was your plan all along to avenge for my suggestion that the Joker is a very good film and worth renting. :CryBaby:

I have mein Papieren all ready, along with my false German accent.

Which one did you try?

We quite like the vegetable lasagne.

Which one did you try?

We quite like the vegetable lasagne.

The Moroccan tagine (£4.50). It was okay, but I could have made it for 40p myself in less, erm, trying times.

:CryBaby:

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

The Moroccan tagine (£4.50). It was okay, but I could have made it for 40p myself in less, erm, trying times.

:CryBaby:

Didn't know they did a veggie one.

And yes, you can cook anything they do at least as well and cheaper.

If you have the time.

I just maintain they are better than most ready meals.

Didn't know they did a veggie one.

And yes, you can cook anything they do at least as well and cheaper.

If you have the time.

I just maintain they are better than most ready meals.

Yes, to be fair, it wasn't 90% tomato paste like a lot of them. And it did quite well in the microwave whereas most of them come out like hot sludge. I haven't had a ready meal in a while to compare it to (oooh get me), so maybe I am being overly critical.

41 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's astounding how this sort of thing takes root. Quite normal now for manglement to call a "town hall" when they mean a presentation to employees but it was not always so; it just seemed to appear out of nowhere.

Fifty-odd years ago I was an avid reader of imported American war comics. "Furlough" was used frequently meaning "leave" as in R&R go off-duty. It's suddenly reappeared in my life this fucking week meaning some sort of layoff.

1 hour ago, Big Boy said:

Will it be socially acceptable to wear a mask

It's always been socially acceptable in Asian countries. it's not about wearing a mask to protect yourself, it's about wearing it to show that you are a good person who is taking steps to avoid spreading your germs to others.

10 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

It's astounding how this sort of thing takes root. Quite normal now for manglement to call a "town hall" when they mean a presentation to employees but it was not always so; it just seemed to appear out of nowhere.

Fifty-odd years ago I was an avid reader of imported American war comics. "Furlough" was used frequently meaning "leave" as in R&R go off-duty. It's suddenly reappeared in my life this fucking week meaning some sort of layoff.

Furlough, townhall - extremely annoying Americanisms.  "Oftentimes" is another one....there's just no need when "often" is sufficient.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Isn’t it what they measure horse races with?  

55 minutes ago, spunko said:

Lay off is the more usual word.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Furlough, townhall - extremely annoying Americanisms.  "Oftentimes" is another one....there's just no need when "often" is sufficient.

'Gotten' is another one that has me reaching for my revolver.

'Super' too, it just seems to have appeared out of nowhere.

Edited by Panther

Am currently in a debate with the local police force.

There was a comment in one of these threads over the last day or so talking about the legalities of whether you can travel to walk your dog. 

‘I recall the upshot was that there was no specific legislation saying you couldn’t. But I can’t now find the thread. Does anyone have a link- or can paste?

i seen to recall that it was in something like section 6, paragraph b of the drafted legislation 

thanks in advance. 

1 minute ago, Southmartin said:

Am currently in a debate with the local police force.

There was a comment in one of these threads over the last day or so talking about the legalities of whether you can travel to walk your dog. 

‘I recall the upshot was that there was no specific legislation saying you couldn’t. But I can’t now find the thread. Does anyone have a link- or can paste?

i seen to recall that it was in something like section 6, paragraph b of the drafted legislation 

thanks in advance. 

"Spacecorps directive 196, section 6, paragraph b states that..."