• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Identify the activity

Since we're all stuck at home here, that being in our apartment on the top floor, I've been glancing out of the window. It's not that I'm particularly nosey, but looking outside has become more interesting. For those of a certain age it's a bit like "Little Computer People"..

We're in a block of apartments in a quad, so there's another block facing us. Two floors below on the other side, and visible from the corner of the room that we sit in while we await some furniture, is a balcony with a sort of tressel in front. Inside, each evening, from around 6pm and for about four hours, there's a man sitting on the sofa. I can't see clearly what he's doing, but it intrigues me enough to appeal to the hive mind for the answer.

In front of the sofa there's a coffee table. Over which he peers, with his nose about six inches from whatever it is that he is looking at. The tressel thing on the balcony obscures vision so I can't tell what it is.

Then he sits back, reaches out with his left hand, picks up something without really looking at it, occasionally appears to shake it slightly as if it is wet, and then returns his gaze to the thing on the table appearing to move whatever he's picked up on to it.

This repeats for hour after hour. If I go to the bathroom that adjoins the living room, I get a different perspective as I stand there emptying out the contents of another beer. Yet I have no idea what he's up to. Why does his head need to be so close to the thing to which he's applying the mysterious objects?

Is he:

1. Sticking stamps into a photo album;

2. Doing a jigsaw;

3. Exploring pointellism

Or something else..

12 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Since we're all stuck at home here, that being in our apartment on the top floor, I've been glancing out of the window. It's not that I'm particularly nosey, but looking outside has become more interesting. For those of a certain age it's a bit like "Little Computer People"..

We're in a block of apartments in a quad, so there's another block facing us. Two floors below on the other side, and visible from the corner of the room that we sit in while we await some furniture, is a balcony with a sort of tressel in front. Inside, each evening, from around 6pm and for about four hours, there's a man sitting on the sofa. I can't see clearly what he's doing, but it intrigues me enough to appeal to the hive mind for the answer.

In front of the sofa there's a coffee table. Over which he peers, with his nose about six inches from whatever it is that he is looking at. The tressel thing on the balcony obscures vision so I can't tell what it is.

Then he sits back, reaches out with his left hand, picks up something without really looking at it, occasionally appears to shake it slightly as if it is wet, and then returns his gaze to the thing on the table appearing to move whatever he's picked up on to it.

This repeats for hour after hour. If I go to the bathroom that adjoins the living room, I get a different perspective as I stand there emptying out the contents of another beer. Yet I have no idea what he's up to. Why does his head need to be so close to the thing to which he's applying the mysterious objects?

Is he:

2. Doing a jigsaw;

3. Exploring pointellism

Or something else..

Matchstick modelling.

7 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Matchstick modelling.

I think you might be on to something. I wondered if he was putting together some kind of Airfix model but excluded that because there seems to be no selection of parts. As if they're all the same..

20 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Is he:

2. Doing a jigsaw;

3. Exploring pointellism

Or something else..

painting model figures.  he is shaking new paints as he changes colours.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11/04/marvel-crisis-protocol-tackling-the-miniatures/

3 minutes ago, wherebee said:

painting model figures.  he is shaking new paints as he changes colours.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11/04/marvel-crisis-protocol-tackling-the-miniatures/

Is it adults doing kids things again? (That other thread)

This certainly corresponds with the occasional shaking of the left hand after collecting something with it. Oh, quiet at the back there.

3 hours ago, DTMark said:

Is it adults doing kids things again? (That other thread)

This certainly corresponds with the occasional shaking of the left hand after collecting something with it. Oh, quiet at the back there.

I don't paint those things myself, but I know people that do and it helps them a lot with PSTD for some reason.  Don't knock it - hurting noone.

He wouldn't just be watching YouTube or DVDs on a monitor or laptop and the left hand thing is his moving the mouse to click on the next video as you look at the screen for the cursor rather than the mouse.

The six inches could be bad eyesight.

I have my all in one PC monitor on a coffee table.

4 hours ago, wherebee said:

I don't paint those things myself, but I know people that do and it helps them a lot with PSTD for some reason.  Don't knock it - hurting noone.

Oh, I'm not, whatever it is - it keeps him entertained for hours on end while we spend all the time trying to find something to watch :)

Posted (edited)

Some kind of tile game - a bit like solitaire dominos - that involves throwing dice with his left hand? If something like that exists?

edit: Or he's on DOSBODIO Italia, typing "There's these two blokes opposite, sitting in the corner of the room on a couple of cardboard boxes, staring out of the window, with the occasional cat jumping around. What are they doing?"

Edited by Heffalump

12 hours ago, Heffalump said:

Some kind of tile game - a bit like solitaire dominos - that involves throwing dice with his left hand? If something like that exists?

edit: Or he's on DOSBODIO Italia, typing "There's these two blokes opposite, sitting in the corner of the room on a couple of cardboard boxes, staring out of the window, with the occasional cat jumping around. What are they doing?"

That's my guess also. Likely playing a board game with someone else that you can't see and he's rolling a dice with his left hand.