• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Economic Exile

Beautiful Old Buildings

1 minute ago, The Generation Game said:

Yeah it looks very similar to Calais town hall. 

place-2015-06-3-8-Townhallofcalaisd1565d

That's a beauty too! 

I love old beautiful buildings that are well maintained. Something to admire and cherish. None of the modern trash will last the length of time that the likes of Calais and Wigtown town halls have.

58 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Pulteney Bridge in Bath, the setting as much as the bridge itself.

Pulteney Bridge - Wikipedia

Very impressive, the Weir makes it the full monty for me. I have always had a thing for bridges with dwellings on them - would love to have seen the original London Bridge.

58 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I vomited into that, after a beer festival.

You certainly wouldn't be the first but you probably missed the building behind you (the old Empire hotel). Oddest roofline in the country probably made up of building frontages depicting houses from the classes - castle of lord of the manor, town house for the middle class and cottage for the serf.

The Empire in 2011

16 minutes ago, onlyme said:

You certainly wouldn't be the first but you probably missed the building behind you (the old Empire hotel). Oddest roofline in the country probably made up of building frontages depicting houses from the classes - castle of lord of the manor, town house for the middle class and cottage for the serf.

The Empire in 2011

That used to be derelict.

I'm possibly biased, but the local vernacular near me is my favourite.

Great-Dixter-2016_1.jpg

I'm also a sucker for Gothic revival from the Victorians... I don't think you are human if you don't stop and gasp at the Houses of Parliament when you first see them.

1280px-Houses_of_Parliament.jpg

This building in on the fringes of Norwich City Centre (next to the bus station). I never knew it existed as it was hidden behind some outbuilding that faced directly on the pavement and a 12 foot high wall. I think it was part of the 'Ipswich & Norwich Cooperative society' from decades ago.

A newly revealed building at All Saints Green, Norwich

My favourite archtectural style is Art Deco, so quite contemporary compared to the buildings featured already on this thread.

17 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Very impressive, the Weir makes it the full monty for me. I have always had a thing for bridges with dwellings on them - would love to have seen the original London Bridge.

Isn't that the bridge in Les Mis?