DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Essential Workers

Great Guy

Anyone else one? I saw the writing on the wall a few weeks ago volunteered to work in a control room. I'm basically answering the phone. It's boring work but it gets me out the house. Working nights is crap though.

The drive into work is soooooooo good. 

• Agree 2

MrLibertyRedux

Would definately have considered it, but just getting over a minor surgery, acerbated by me not being able to do the swimming regime I usually do which would speed up recovery somewhat significantly. No car at the moment either so that has it's limitations as had been doing the city living and could walk to work. I'd probably be more of a hindrance or a risk at the moment so accepted being on the bench.

Well done though. It did restore my faith in humanity a little when I saw the numbers who did volunteer.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
spellink
  • Agree 2

I got a letter from work saying I was a critical infrastructure worker. I'm supposed to keep a photo of it on my phone to show to cops if they stop me. 

Don't think it really buys me any privileges though as I am probably going to be OK working at home unless something really kicks off back at base. 

3 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Well done though. It did restore my faith in humanity a little when I saw the numbers who did volunteer.

To be fair I'm working for my normal employer. It's just a different role.

If I wasn't doing that I'd probably do some voluntary work or even get a job at Tesco.

I honestly think many people will struggle with being stuck in the house.... 

12 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Would definately have considered it, but just getting over a minor surgery, ascerbated by me not being able to do the swimming regime I usually do which would speed up recovery somewhat significantly. No car at the moment either so that has it's limitations as had been doing the city living and could walk to work. I'd probably be more of a hindrance or a risk at the moment so accepted being on the bench.

I bet all those volunteers that have been assigned to Nightingale Hospital are having second thoughts.

• Agree 1

MrLibertyRedux
19 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I bet all those volunteers that have been assigned to Nightingale Hospital are having second thoughts.

I look at all of this from two opposing viewpoints.

1. A good majority of the decent hard working folk in this country have now been shafted for what's comfortably more than two decades by bankers, politicians et al (insert other group here as necessary), so a lot of us are disenfranchised from what I used to consider a civil society. Probably a fundamental reason for the existence of this forum.
  2. Do you get bitter about point 1, or do you still aspire to living in something that resembles a civil society and community. And by that I mean a real one, not government mandated, marketed to you or involving any virtue signalling twats, middle class or middle class aspirant Guardian readers and all the rest.

Difficult one. And I wish I had the answers.

Interesting times either way.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, snaga said:

Volunteered for Blood riders, they don't need anyone, so plan B, NHS volunteer via goodsam, still waiting for approval.

Vampire Biker Gang?

48 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I look at all of this from two opposing viewpoints.

1. A good majority of the decent hard working folk in this country have now been shafted for what's comfortably more than two decades by bankers, politicians et al (insert other group here as necessary), so a lot of us are disenfranchised from what I used to consider a civil society. Probably a fundamental reason for the existence of this forum.
  2. Do you get bitter about point 1, or do you still aspire to living in something that resembles a civil society and community. And by that I mean a real one, not government mandated, marketed to you or involving any virtue signalling twats, middle class or middle class aspirant Guardian readers and all the rest.

Difficult one. And I wish I had the answers.

Interesting times either way.

In the past I went out of my way to help or facilitate progress

Then, things as simple even as opening a door and letting a woman go through first became the focus of aggression, and women let doors swing in my face.

Next, the government interfered in eveything I liked to do.

Now, I just want to get on with my life uninterrupted by as few people as possible.

I try to impact nobody else.

If Covid19 gets me and I react badly, I don't want ventilation.

In the meantime I'd like to get on with my life freely.

I do still like to think I do good stuff. For example, I pour most of my scientific earnings into public science outreach for the greater good.

But I won't be volunteering to save the NHS

Edited by Hopeful
  • Agree 2

MrLibertyRedux
9 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Then, things even as simple as opening a door and letting a woman go through a  door first became the focus of aggressionand women let doors swing in my face.

A pet hate of mine for thirty years now.

• Agree 2

One percent
2 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

A pet hate of mine for thirty years now.

And mine. My rule is that whoever gets their first opens the door and lets the oher persin through, no matter male or female. I also look behind me and keep a door open if there is someone there. The number who happily let it slam in people’s faces is beyond. It tends to be an enrichment trait. 

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

I got a letter from work saying I was a critical infrastructure worker. I'm supposed to keep a photo of it on my phone to show to cops if they stop me. 

Don't think it really buys me any privileges though as I am probably going to be OK working at home unless something really kicks off back at base. 

Same for me although it is driven by the client rather than my company.  I would only class about 10% of our work essential.  I'm pissed off that I still have to work but I'm not allowed to do anything else.  Luckily for the last 2 weeks I've mostly worked from home but I'll soon run out of work and will have to return to a site.

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Stuey said:

My mate's an Equalities Lead in NHS and deemed an essential worker...

Hope he is helping out mopping the floors and emptying bedpans as its hardly equality if the management are not prepared to muck in.

Employment apartheid, working apart together, keep it up folks.

• Agree 2

MrLibertyRedux
11 minutes ago, One percent said:

And mine. My rule is that whoever gets their first opens the door and lets the oher persin through, no matter male or female. I also look behind me and keep a door open if there is someone there. The number who happily let it slam in people’s faces is beyond. It tends to be an enrichment trait. 

Friend of mine was in the States a while back somewhere they had concealed carry - can't remember where.

He described it as "everyone is real polite".

They went out for breakfast and they got a hat tip and a "sir, ma'am" as the young guy held the door open for them as they went in.

If only.

Still do it. If anyone doesn't like it they can fuck off quite frankly.

• Agree 2