DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cancel your TV licence now

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis
Just now, Green Devil said:

Does anyone on here actually pay anything into the bbcs coffers? 😂😂😂

The majority; though not in general for their own benefit but for family members.

• Agree 2

And car tax (VED) as well. I have SORN'ed my car for the next month as it's obvious this won't be short-lived. Saving about £30 there.

As an aside, don't let the #VileBBC condition you into thinking that under normal conditions they bother to knock on doors or turn up... They don't. I haven't paid mine for years, all I get is the odd letter to The Homeowner.

• Agree 3

We stopped ours about a year ago. I guess Spring/Autumnwatch is the only thing I miss. Will never pay it again. Vile vile organisation.

• Agree 4

Frank Hovis
5 minutes ago, spunko said:

And car tax (VED) as well. I have SORN'ed my car for the next month as it's obvious this won't be short-lived. Saving about £30 there.

As an aside, don't let the #VileBBC condition you into thinking that under normal conditions they bother to knock on doors or turn up... They don't. I haven't paid mine for years, all I get is the odd letter to The Homeowner.

Err, not the car.

Police are pulling over loads of people down here and I'd stand far more chance if getting away with SORN at any other time.

I even made a special trip to get my front tyres changed as even a casual glance at a stop would have spotted that my passenger front was obviously illegal as the outside third had zero tread.

They stopped 150 the other day to check their journey was essential so I wasn't prepared to take the risk when I anyway needed them changed but was previously leaving them until the service.

https://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/3069783/police-stop-150-vehicles-in-one-day-in-west-cornwall/

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Err, not the car.

Police are pulling over loads of people down here and I'd stand far more chance if getting away with SORN at any other time.

I even made a special trip to get my front tyres changed as even a casual glance at a stop would have spotted that my passenger front was obviously illegal as the outside third had zero tread.

They stopped 150 the other day to check their journey was essential so I wasn't prepared to take the risk when I anyway needed them changed but was previously leaving them until the service.

https://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/3069783/police-stop-150-vehicles-in-one-day-in-west-cornwall/

I don't know, I wonder if the Plod will turn a blind eye. "I couldn't afford my car tax so I cancelled it, I'm only driving to the supermarket officer" is actually true for once.

I bet they've been waiting to hear a genuine excuse like this for years!

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, spunko said:

I don't know, I wonder if the Plod will turn a blind eye. "I couldn't afford my car tax so I cancelled it, I'm only driving to the supermarket officer" is actually true for once.

I bet they've been waiting to hear a genuine excuse like this for years!

Maybe but like the tyres I don't think it worth taking the risk of getting caught on a stop which I see as material at the moment.

I saved a fair stack by only having roadside assistance for years but inevitably the day came it wouldn't start at home and in the fifteen years since I'd last needed it all the local garages had stopped doing call outs.

The nearest one couldn't come for a day so I was stuck for two days; even though I was still quids in for simple convenience I have now added homestart.

• Agree 1

Well I’ve got a sky box now and have had for 6 weeks I’m still not paying it has it’s the Xs box .....got to a be rude joke there if I think hard enough 

I’m with you on the car front @Frank Hovis 

i think what we are seeing with the police is a chance to flex their muscles, policing these days has turned in to a really shit job, I’d imagine it used to consist of at least a little bit of decent work, community stuff, prevention, patrols etc but now it’s all domestic violence and drug fall out. 

I suspect the police have very little interaction which isn’t confrontational and so any opportunity to get a few charges on  the books with no back chat, violence or arguments will be jumped at. 

They simply don’t both with checking tax and MOT normally so any chance to double up will be jumped at IMO.

• Agree 2

Bedrag Justesen
37 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Does anyone on here actually pay anything into the bbcs coffers? 😂😂😂

I don't have Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Had Netflix on an offer of £3 per month but cancelled it when it increased. Watched F1 documentary and my wives watched The Crown. I really don't understand why people fuss over Netflix. It's shit.

Amazon Prime free trial let me watch The Grand Tour.

I believe BBC is excellent value for money at less than 50p per day.

For all the criticism of BBC News & Current Affairs,  which I agree are a disgrace, I still find BBC make some of my favourite programmes which can't be found anywhere else.

BBC documentaries, comedies, music shows, and dramas they make themselves, as well as showing foreign dramas, make BBC well worth the cost of a TV Licence.

In addition, I can watch ITV, C4, C5, and SKY, without being sent  to prison.  :)

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Had Netflix on an offer of £3 per month but cancelled it when it increased. Watched F1 documentary and my wives watched The Crown. I really don't understand why people fuss over Netflix. It's shit.

So the insight into the sweary, love/hate relationship between Gunther Steiner and Romain Grosjean wasn't worth the Netflix subs by itself?

• Agree 1

On the subject of licence evasion (so called), has anyone received the latest ruse? Before all this covid business kicked off, I received one of these disguised as a Royal Mail letter!

TV%2BLicensing%2BHand%2BDelivered%2Bby%2

The familiar TV license typeface for the instructions gave the game away, I recognised it straight away, but I am sure many would think it was a genuine Royal Mail handout... Why are Royal Mail tolerati.. oh why do I bother.

• Agree 2

Kurt Barlow
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

No threatening letters, no home visits, no prosecutions. All suspended for the period of lockdown.

Hit 'em where it hurts: in the wallet.

And even if you only save one month before lockdown is lifted then that's still £12 in your pocket rather than Gary Lineker's.

And if everyone does it that's £360m out of the So-Called BBC's pocket.

Get in!

Come on, you have nothing better to do today and this saves you some money.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8169369/TV-licence-amnesty-Inspection-officers-stop-prosecutions-home-visits-lockdown.html

We are still getting threatening letters - handy back up supply of bog roll. 

Bedrag Justesen
7 minutes ago, eight said:

So the insight into the sweary, love/hate relationship between Gunther Steiner and Romain Grosjean wasn't worth the Netflix subs by itself?

Loved it.  

Better than anything on Sky Sports F1HD or C4.

Sky is progressively worse every season. C4 is unwatchable because of that Welsh twat, Scottish twat*, and Irish twat**, and much as I love Billy, fuck sake put some long pants on - we get it - you have no legs.

*He's not that bad really.

**He's OK too.

Frank Hovis
22 minutes ago, spunko said:

On the subject of licence evasion (so called), has anyone received the latest ruse? Before all this covid business kicked off, I received one of these disguised as a Royal Mail letter!

The familiar TV license typeface for the instructions gave the game away, I recognised it straight away, but I am sure many would think it was a genuine Royal Mail handout... Why are Royal Mail tolerati.. oh why do I bother.

Not yet.  They must like you.

41 minutes ago, spunko said:

Got that exact one end of last week - made to look like a calling card but just regular mail.

It actually has stuff inside if you peel it apart but it doesn't do so easily - I ended up tearing it so i could glimpse as I wasn't interested in actually reading it just curious. 

TheNoSnowMan

This'll be my 8th year. It's a nice feeling knowing I spotted the So-Called BBC's biased bullshit long ago - even before Brexit and Trump. Just goes to show how long the globalists have had a stranglehold over mainstream content.

• Agree 2

Alonso Quijano

I cancelled back in October, yet I've been getting threatening letters and I'm under instigation awaiting a visit.

Shows how inept they are.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

I cancelled back in October, yet I've been getting threatening letters and

what are they going to do, send round some clothe capped Mancunians with a shooter ?

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

No threatening letters, no home visits, no prosecutions. All suspended for the period of lockdown.

Hit 'em where it hurts: in the wallet.

And even if you only save one month before lockdown is lifted then that's still £12 in your pocket rather than Gary Lineker's.

And if everyone does it that's £360m out of the So-Called BBC's pocket.

Get in!

Come on, you have nothing better to do today and this saves you some money.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8169369/TV-licence-amnesty-Inspection-officers-stop-prosecutions-home-visits-lockdown.html

We should do this with as many taxes as possible.

The state is the enemy 

• Agree 4

Wight Flight
6 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

We should do this with as many taxes as possible.

The state is the enemy 

Has anyone actually paid their council tax yet?

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Maybe but like the tyres I don't think it worth taking the risk of getting caught on a stop which I see as material at the moment.

I saved a fair stack by only having roadside assistance for years but inevitably the day came it wouldn't start at home and in the fifteen years since I'd last needed it all the local garages had stopped doing call outs.

The nearest one couldn't come for a day so I was stuck for two days; even though I was still quids in for simple convenience I have now added homestart.

Why did you not just buy one of the briefcase sized rechargeable battery packs with starter cables you clip to the battery?

If you do, I'd recommend an oversized one. In theory my 2L diesel should be started by a 100 quid one and it did once when it just turned over but not start so battery only just gone. But when it was a week or so beyond that [2 weeks not used], the low powered thing did nothing except start the alarm. At the time I still had AA cover from the warranty but still felt foolish calling them out [again].

• Agree 1