DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cancel your TV licence now

Frank Hovis

One percent
6 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Buy your TV Licence.

Doing so helps keep the cost down for others.

Every one who stops buying their TV Licence just because they do not need one is being selfish.

Think of it like getting your jabs.  :)

And what will the likes of linicker do if no one paid?  Poor bloke would be destitute 

• Agree 2

Bedrag Justesen
3 minutes ago, Whowhywhen? said:

So if I don't get my TV license,  yours isn't valid?

Mine will be more expensive to pay BBC workers.

If more people buy a TV Licence it can be cheaper and BBC workers can be paid more.

Just now, One percent said:

And what will the likes of linicker do if no one paid?  Poor bloke would be destitute 

Gary works for ITV as well.

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

One percent
14 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Mine will be more expensive to pay BBC workers.

If more people buy a TV Licence it can be cheaper and BBC workers can be paid more.

Gary works for ITV as well.

When you say, “works”, you must be using the term very loosely.  :)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Panther said:

No need to declare anything, just stop paying.

but then you don't get a refund, remember you pay for your license in advance, so you're always in credit. If you declare you don't need a license they need to refund you.

• Agree 1

One percent
48 minutes ago, snaga said:

but then you don't get a refund, remember you pay for your license in advance, so you're always in credit. If you declare you don't need a license they need to refund you.

I did it properly and cancelled the licence. Didn’t get a refund. I also got a two year (supposedly) grace period.  They have set the goons on me well short of the two years.  

• Informative 1

TheBlueCat
7 hours ago, King Penda said:

Kingdom is also Korean and quite good squid game is excellent has its showing joe public other countries can make decent stuff .reports are comeing in however that kids are doing reinacments of some of the games on playgrounds

I loved The Water Margin and Monkey when I was a kid and those Japanese monster movies were fun too. There’s tons of great non-English language stuff out there but the BBC etc. don’t show much of it presumably because they want to shove their own opinions of what’s good down people’s throats.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, One percent said:

I did it properly and cancelled the licence. Didn’t get a refund. I also got a two year (supposedly) grace period.  They have set the goons on me well short of the two years.  

You would have needed to claim the refund separately, you don't think they make it easy?

If you just cancel dd and make a declaration, you are in fact still licenced until your current licence expires. You need to cancel that licence to get the refund.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

One percent
6 minutes ago, snaga said:

You would have needed to claim the refund separately, you don't think they make it easy?

If you just cancel dd and make a declaration, you are in fact still licenced until your current licence expires. You need to cancel that licence to get the refund.

They really are odious shysters. 

• Agree 2

dillinger
9 hours ago, Harley said:

I told them (hard to find the place on their website though!) but it was only valid for two years or so so I just ignored everything after that, like I do all flyers.

I inform them every two years but I don't need too.

Stops the annoying letters. 

I used to tape them on my wall near the front door to show any Good who turned up though none after 3 years so far.

I was running out of wall so I took them down.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

One percent
4 minutes ago, dillinger said:

I inform them every two years but I don't need too.

Stops the annoying letters. 

I used to tape them on my wall near the front door to show any Good who turned up though none after 3 years so far.

I was running out of wall so I took them down.

How do you inform them?  

dillinger
6 minutes ago, One percent said:

How do you inform them?  

On their website. 

Bit tricky to do as it trys to mislead you about watching Amazon etc.

Don't need a licence for that.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Myco said:

Every letter from them I get now makes me happy, knowing the cost I am adding to, I burn them to increase the BBC's CO2 footprint too now, fuck em. 

I’ve got some shares in Royal Mail so they are effectively paying me every time they send a threatening letter.

I’m still waiting for the investigator they’ve allocated to me to actually travel all the way from Preston to try and find out my name - 6 weeks and counting.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 6

Frank Hovis
On 03/06/2021 at 13:16, Frank Hovis said:

I've only just realised that huge population importation notwithstanding TV licences have already started to fall.

Financial year No. of licences**
2019/20 25,527,840
2018/19 25,752,560
2017/18 25,836,500

They peaked at 31 March 2018 and fell by 84,000 in 2018/19 and by 125,000 in 2019/20.  Start point was:

2010/11 25,103,080

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-licences-facts-and-figures-AB18

However the number of households in the UK has steadily increased over that period:

There were an estimated 27.8 million households in the UK in 2020, an increase of 5.9% over the last 10 years.

Therefore in 2020 25.5/27.8 = 92% had a licence.  2.3m didn't.

Whereas in 2010 25.1/26.25 = 96% had a licence.  1.15m didn't.

Or more succintly: the number of households without a TV licence has doubled in ten years.

This is great news :)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/families/bulletins/familiesandhouseholds/2020

Quoting my own post to update with the 2020/21 figures from the first link.

And it's even more good news; over half a million down in the year B|

That clock is ticking louder.

UK total number of licences in force in 2020/21*

No. of licences in force

April 2020 25,396,530

May 2020 25,324,980

June 2020 25,252,600

July 2020 25,237,390

August 2020 24,828,510**

September 2020 24,790,370**

October 2020 24,792,400**

November 2020 24,823,110**

December 2020 24,852,640**

January 2021 24,858,940**

February 2021 24,844,900**

March 2021 24,837,260**

• Agree 1
  • Informative 5
  • Cheers 2

One percent
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

No. of licences in force

April 2020 25,396,530

May 2020 25,324,980

June 2020 25,252,600

July 2020 25,237,390

August 2020 24,828,510**

March 2021 24,837,260**

When did over 75s have to buy a license again?  That would skew the data

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis
11 hours ago, Wheeler said:

I’ve got some shares in Royal Mail so they are effectively paying me every time they send a threatening letter.

I’m still waiting for the investigator they’ve allocated to me to actually travel all the way from Preston to try and find out my name - 6 weeks and counting.

I've been waiting for seven years for this investigator to visit.

I'll give them another couple of months but then I really do need to go out so I will leave them a note to say that I'm sorry that I missed them if they do visit then.

• Lol 3

Frank Hovis
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

When did over 75s have to buy a license again?  That would skew the data

Looking at the data history the over 75 licences have always been included; when they became "free" around 2000 the DWP was paying the BBC for them and then put this back to the BBC a couple of years ago and they're now charging.

The distortion would be that for the last two years the BBC licence listing has included the over 75 licences which, whilst they existed, brought in no revenue.

It's likely that despite the half million drop in licence numbers in the year that their revenues are now up because over 75s had to start paying a month or so ago.

It's however a temporary respite for them because those headline numbers keep falling.

• Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

No. of licences in force

April 2020 25,396,530

May 2020 25,324,980

June 2020 25,252,600

July 2020 25,237,390

August 2020 24,828,510**

March 2021 24,837,260**

That's interesting, specially considering the reduction is happening during the time when lots of people are stuck at home. 

• Agree 2

Frank Hovis
4 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

That's interesting, specially considering the reduction is happening during the time when lots of people are stuck at home. 

It could simply be the slow glacier of ageing that people have been predicting.

The block of people of whom 90% have licences is probably those aged 40+; that boundary age is going up as younger people don't see the point of scheduled broadcast TV and as nobody lives forever the numbers naturally reduce.

I would have thought that the squeeze from energy, food, council tax inflation would now all play their part in making people question why they are paying £159 for a TV licence when they have broadband access to the internet.  The end of the temporary £20 weekly boost in UC will also play its part.

If this had been the BBC I knew and loved up to about 1990 then I would be sad about it but that BBC has already long since expired yet continues to pump out programmes through a mistaken belief that it is still alive.

• Agree 6

King Penda
12 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Over 5 years for me I’ve even got a tv he can take with him save me a trip to the tip I killed it camping in Devon 

2335B386-F7DC-4A9D-835D-D7766A31FEA3.jpeg

Red Debt Redemption

The reason for not filling in the declaration and putting up with the letters is it provides no name. It is one of the pieces they need to take things further, warrant to search home etc. You voluntary provide it with the declaration and show them you are a 'live' address that may respond.

There have been a small number (extremely rare) of cases where legally licence free have been stitched up because of this, warrant search because goon thought they could see live TV through the window coupled with name, goon twisting the tvl178 form and getting it signed with a name, woira coupled with name etc - leading to court which you then have to waste time, energy, funds to fight - remember capita are the goons looking for their £20 honesty and fairness do not help them achieve this.

Loose lips sink ships all you have to do is absolutely nothing. Unfortunately in today's age of endless mandatory xyz tick box forms, courses, people cannot help themselves but seen to be doing something. 

• Agree 4

When someone removes their right of implied access, they've sometimes had a goon turn up with a copper. The police hate that but have to do it. Even with the copper there, there's no obligation to give any details or let them in.

If that ever happens to me, I'll tell the copper that they can come in but not the goon.

dillinger
44 minutes ago, jm51 said:

If that ever happens to me, I'll tell the copper that they can come in but not the goon.

Oh no no no!

I would bet once you let the Cop in he would invite the Goon in against your wishes.

Police side with them through ignorance. 

One percent
25 minutes ago, dillinger said:

Oh no no no!

I would bet once you let the Cop in he would invite the Goon in against your wishes.

Police side with them through ignorance. 

Never met a plod who wasn’t as thick as mince. And i used to spend a fair amount of time at hendon. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, jm51 said:

When someone removes their right of implied access, they've sometimes had a goon turn up with a copper. The police hate that but have to do it. Even with the copper there, there's no obligation to give any details or let them in.

Both trespassing at that point, I'd be closing the door behind me.