DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cancel your TV licence now

Frank Hovis

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Apologies if this has already been answered.  @Frank Hovis  i have been on the interweb and have spectacularly failed to establish how to cancel my tv licence. Been on their website and it sends me round in a continuous loop. Almost as if it’s deliberate. o.O

am i better off phoning them?  

TIA. 

I used the following link when I did it:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/contact-us/question.app

You have to fill in the details and pick cancellation from the category. I just said I no longer watch live television and don't use the iPlayer app. They cancelled it in a day or so, no refund because I did it at the expiry of the previous one. They sent me a "no licence needed" licence!

Edit: I didn't give them a contact phone number obviously, just the email address.

Edited by Wheeler
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

They don't write to me, they write to someone I've never heard of called Thele Galoc Cupier. Strange name, he shouldn't be that hard to find.

• Lol 2

If your car won't start in the morning, try calling the local taxi firm and ask if a driver can give you a jump start.

Even better if you have your own jump leads. One guy used to call my taxi firm 3 or 4 times a month. When the driver got to his address, the bonnet would be up and the jump leads ready to go. He always paid more than twice the minimum fare and it only took a minute.

• Lol 1

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well, looks like the bbc have realised that the model is no longer fit for purpose 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8702909/BBC-chief-reveals-plan-two-tier-licence-fee-choice-basics-package-premium.html

Desperation.  Who would still pay for that crap, the current model is definitely broken - at least they've maybe recognised it (bit late in the day), if it means the steady destruction of this piece of shit organisation, reduction in the amount of money paid to those smug twats like that tranny on newsnight, lineker et al.

Eventually it will die off like any parasite, good riddance

• Agree 7
  • Lol 2

After years of building it's business and accumulating billions in assets off the back of a forced income and the threat of fine/prison if you don't pay, the BBC cannot just shift itself away from that and retain what it has built.

It has to be sold off and the proceeds returned to the taxpayers who funded it, from which point it continues as a private enterprise. 

• Agree 6

I sent a message through their system yesterday to cancel my licence. Wonder how long it will take for them to actually respond. I’m cancelling the DD. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Wow.

So the woman Doctor Who is so bad she's even pissed you off Mrs Pankhurst...

XYY

I’m fed up of being preached at. I cant remember the last time I turned the tv on.  

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

I am just on the verge of cancelling my DD to the BBC after trying as hard as I could to make sure I am not cutting my nose off to spite my face, I asked myself what do I still use and like, 90% plus of their TV I hate now and I probably just use their news website which I would happily remove myself from, though I think it's OK to use their news website?

I have Now TV and Netflix along with Amazon Prime and I have heard of some thingy where you can watch films free, though would never dream of downloading it ;)

I think I am joining the revolution this week, piping on about David Attenborough and Morecambe and Wise just does not do it for me any more, and the odd gem they did come up with will at some point be on Netflix or just do one free month on Britbox

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I am just on the verge of cancelling my DD to the BBC after trying as hard as I could to make sure I am not cutting my nose off to spite my face, I asked myself what do I still use and like, 90% plus of their TV I hate now and I probably just use their news website which I would happily remove myself from, though I think it's OK to use their news website?

I have Now TV and Netflix along with Amazon Prime and I have heard of some thingy where you can watch films free, though would never dream of downloading it ;)

I think I am joining the revolution this week, piping on about David Attenborough and Morecambe and Wise just does not do it for me any more, and the odd gem they did come up with will at some point be on Netflix or just do one free month on Britbox

Do it! I can assure you you will not regret it.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

They deliberately make it confusing about what you can and can’t watch, so as to use fear to keep you paying. 
afaik, you cant watch any tv in real time (why you can’t watch commercial channels i don't know). Also the bbc catch-up thingy. 

I think you can do the following:

watch netflix, prime etc

watch sky, as long it it is not the real time stuff

listen to the radio

watch catchup from any other provider than the bbc

i may be wrong, happy to be corrected. 

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

They deliberately make it confusing about what you can and can’t watch, so as to use fear to keep you paying. 
afaik, you cant watch any tv in real time (why you can’t watch commercial channels i don't know). Also the bbc catch-up thingy. 

watch netflix, prime etc

listen to the radio

Correct as far as I know, no idea about sky. Starve the beast.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

watch netflix, prime etc

listen to the radio

Does that mean I can’t watch Blaze TV?

• Lol 1

1 minute ago, Shamone said:

Correct as far as I know, no idea about sky. Starve the beast.

Yes, quite.  No way I would give them a penny.  I hear from an Aussie that they are struggling. 

• Lol 1

Just now, Battenberg said:

Does that mean I can’t watch Blaze TV?

Don’t think so as it is lve (as in you watch it as it is being broadcast). If they do a catch-up service, then yes you can.  

i only know this because i did some research, wasn’t easy, on what I could and could not do without a licence. I may be wrong as they appear o try and make it as difficult to understand as possible. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

Don’t think so as it is lve (as in you watch it as it is being broadcast). If they do a catch-up service, then yes you can.  

i only know this because i did some research, wasn’t easy, on what I could and could not do without a licence. I may be wrong as they appear o try and make it as difficult to understand as possible. 

It is well past time where the BBC should put out a statement which is clear and precise as can be, and then presented so it can easily be found. They are using devious tricks to keep people in contracts they no longer wish to be part of, and of course this mass con will never be aired on BBC news.

If they think their service is so amazing, sell it to us without fear of punishment for not using it

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

It is well past time where the BBC should put out a statement which is clear and precise as can be, and then presented so it can easily be found. They are using devious tricks to keep people in contracts they no longer wish to be part of, and of course this mass con will never be aired on BBC news.

If they think their service is so amazing, sell it to us without fear of punishment for not using it

And make it easy to get out of the contract.  I had to ask for advice on here as their website sent me round in a deliberate loop.  Twats. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shamone said:

Do it! I can assure you you will not regret it.

I’ve just noticed Lexx is on prime.ps I need you guys to stop cancelling your license fees I don’t want it added to my council tax.ps 3 years for me now no tv license 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

I didn't even cancel ours. I just stopped paying, and ignore the letters. I'm watching Netherlands vs. Italy live on Sky right now, I don't give a toss. Why should I pay the so-called for that?

• Agree 6
  • Lol 4

8 minutes ago, eight said:

I didn't even cancel ours. I just stopped paying, and ignore the letters. I'm watching Netherlands vs. Italy live on Sky right now, I don't give a toss. Why should I pay the so-called for that?

It feels even better cancelling sky

• Lol 1

16 hours ago, One percent said:

Yes, quite.  No way I would give them a penny.  I hear from an Aussie that they are struggling. 

Sky UK or Sky Australia? Former Comcast, latter News International.