DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Has Coronavirus officially killed the housing market?

JoeDavola

Post-Covid, what 3 changes are you going to try to make? (max 3)  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

haroldshand

Well Halifax have released their figures today and surprise surprise we have another big rise in property prices.

It won't be long now before we are 2 years into covid and where on paper our economy is totally f****d and loaded with off the scale debt.

If nothing made you think a house price crash was now near on impossible in the UK because of the political will that will just not allow one then nothing will. ToS is now beyond a joke as a website and to seek out future movements on housing there has now got to be the dumbest moves possible.

• Agree 3

On 03/09/2021 at 08:21, Democorruptcy said:

Example of how holiday let income pushes prices up. Yours for £189,500:

It mentions it's a holiday let with Sykes, next available week £425 17th Sept.

And is that plastic grass at the rear...sick .

The sign says do not go beyond the patio at the back as you will trespass on to the neighbours land ...such an inviting area.

• Agree 1

JoeDavola

Parents confirmed that they've taken their house which was sale agreed for months off the market, as they think the market has risen so much in the months they've been looking that it's worth more now.

Will put it back on the market next year.

I think they've done the right thing as there's been fuck all coming on sale, and to be honest I think they're best staying where they are, and being grateful they got such a massive house for fuck all when they bought it.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Informative 1

Chewing Grass
58 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Parents confirmed that they've taken their house which was sale agreed for months off the market, as they think the market has risen so much in the months they've been looking that it's worth more now.

Will put it back on the market next year.

I think they've done the right thing as there's been fuck all coming on sale, and to be honest I think they're best staying where they are, and being grateful they got such a massive house for fuck all when they bought it.

If I was to look for a similar average house to the one I have in my neck of the woods I wouldn't find one that didn't need more work doing on it than it was worth.

Market is dead as far as choice is concerned but the area has plenty of seriously fucked old folk hanging on by their fingernails.

From my office window I can see two houses whose occupants will be lucky to see the coming winter out.

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Agree 2

Fully Detached
On 07/09/2021 at 08:48, haroldshand said:

Well Halifax have released their figures today and surprise surprise we have another big rise in property prices.

It won't be long now before we are 2 years into covid and where on paper our economy is totally f****d and loaded with off the scale debt.

If nothing made you think a house price crash was now near on impossible in the UK because of the political will that will just not allow one then nothing will. ToS is now beyond a joke as a website and to seek out future movements on housing there has now got to be the dumbest moves possible.

Yes it's irrefutable that they have the will, so it's a question of whether they have the way - or for how long they will have it. IMO we are now firmly on a course for total economic collapse, and I think they know it - but I have no idea when it will happen. It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if it was next year or in 20 years. I must admit they've done a hell of a tight rope walk so far.

• Agree 1

Bus Stop Boxer
6 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

If I was to look for a similar average house to the one I have in my neck of the woods I wouldn't find one that didn't need more work doing on it than it was worth.

Market is dead as far as choice is concerned but the area has plenty of seriously fucked old folk hanging on by their fingernails.

From my office window I can see two houses whose occupants will be lucky to see the coming winter out.

You'll need a watermelon to zero in the sights properly.

10 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Housebuilder shares down 4%ish today, have I missed some news?

They're all dead Fergus.

• Cheers 1

JoeDavola

Out for a pint with a mate last night and hearing stories that just confirm what @Frank Hovis said about the upper-mid end of the market being an equity swapping market.

Basically the market where he lives is full of single boomers sitting in 3/4 bed family homes, deciding to move every few years.

Heard one example of a single woman who bought a house for £170K 4 years ago, sold it for £270K now.....but the funny end to the story was that the 325K house she wanted to move to jumped out of her equity-swapping price range cause she had to pay stamp duty.

This is the same mate whose next door neighbour, a single 60-something, is knocking about a big 4 bed family home by herself, and owns another big family home that belonged to her folks that she refuses to rent out or sell. So it just sits empty.

He agrees that the young don't have a fucking chance.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 2

Chewing Grass
8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

This is the same mate whose next door neighbour, a single 60-something, is knocking about a big 4 bed family home by herself, and owns another big family home that belonged to her folks that she refuses to rent out or sell. So it just sits empty.

He agrees that the young don't have a fucking chance.

A single 60 something in a big house is ripe for the picking with the ultimate benefactor being the state or a care-home owner. The top end of the 'overpriced' market will collapse when they die. Coronavirus could have triggered it but it didn't, the spikey proteins however may well yet but everyone will be replaced by Afghans, Somali's and HK Chinese.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
Just now, Chewing Grass said:

A single 60 something in a big house is ripe for the picking with the ultimate benefactor being the state or a care-home owner. The top end of the 'overpriced' market will collapse when they die. Coronavirus could have triggered it but it didn't, the spikey proteins however may well yet but everyone will be replaced by Afghans, Somali's and HK Chinese.

I'll leave my money to my siblings or their children.

By the time I have to move into a care home, if ever, I think the cap on spend will be very reasonable.

stop_the_craziness
15 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Housebuilder shares down 4%ish today, have I missed some news?

I thought yesterday that surely the Help To Buy chickens must be coming home to roost soon with all those 5 year interest free periods expiring.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

sarahbell
1 hour ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I thought yesterday that surely the Help To Buy chickens must be coming home to roost soon with all those 5 year interest free periods expiring.

Have you got a chart showing numbers taken out over time?

Interesting if slightly depressing analysis of NI property market - termed 'survival of the richest' with the top end of the market i.e. detached houses up in price 25% in a year.

The big money and big equity gains from GB (2000 transactions a year in NI from GB apparently) fighting with each other for the few desirable houses out there:

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2021/09/07/news/richard-ramsey-the-northern-ireland-housing-market-is-becoming-survival-of-the-richest--2437007/?fbclid=IwAR1ksiKTj-WCx695KXllSi8OJ90elkGba0lq628SsGvntD3Fj_J_6prfkkQ

Edited by JoeDavola

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

Interesting if slightly depressing analysis of NI property market - termed 'survival of the richest' with the top end of the market i.e. detached houses up in price 25% in a year.

The big money and big equity gains from GB (2000 transactions a year in NI from GB apparently) fighting with each other for the few desirable houses out there:

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2021/09/07/news/richard-ramsey-the-northern-ireland-housing-market-is-becoming-survival-of-the-richest--2437007/?fbclid=IwAR1ksiKTj-WCx695KXllSi8OJ90elkGba0lq628SsGvntD3Fj_J_6prfkkQ

You need to stop torturing yourself Joe.

Nobody saw this coming.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

I used to think “ when me” . Then I thought “ thank fuck” . Now I know

“ it’s coming “.  Then I wait. Waited 17 yrs. 10weeks is nothing. This is my experience and hope.  Hopium. It will happen. Prepare. 

maynardgravy
3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

It's a crack-up boom. Nobody comes out of this smelling of roses.

• Agree 2

Democorruptcy

Confirmation of what "levelling up" is all about:

Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove has been confirmed as the new housing secretary, replacing Robert Jenrick.

As part of his new role, Mr Gove has also been handed responsibility for the government's "levelling up" agenda

1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

Confirmation of what "levelling up" is all about:

He could shit on Manchester city council housing building scheme offering quite easily.

Increase the percentage of social housing that house builders need depending on the size of the company.