• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Chris Froome - the greatest British sportsperson..

Or Mo Farah...

Anyway i think Froomey has got the TDF sussed out (like phelps had swimming sussed) and is going to be very hard to dislodge from the top spot 

That or they are all lance armstrong style drug cheats like Wiggo

Edited by WorkingPoor

2 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Or Mo Farah...

Anyway i think Froomey has got the TDF sussed out (like phelps had swimming sussed) and is going to be very hard to dislodge from the top spot 

That or they are all lance armstrong style drug cheats like Wiggo

Different case. He moved to the UK as a kid and grew up in the British athletic club tradition, that makes him way more British than Chris Froome who, as far as I know, has never lived in the UK for more than a couple of months and, I'm pretty sure, has never ridden a single club TT or any of the other things that would mark him out as a British cyclist.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I didn't realise that before reading this thread.

I suppose as both his parents are British he may always have thought of himself as being British irrespective of having been born in the colonies.

He would have been happy to ride as a Kenyan and be the first African to win the TDF but the Kenyan cycling association were a bunch of corrupt cunts who used to steal all the funding they get. They once left once of Froome's team mates in the desert for dead, he was rescued by a team mechanic from another team who, by chance, was making a return trip on the road.

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

He would have been happy to ride as a Kenyan and be the first African to win the TDF but the Kenyan cycling association were a bunch of corrupt cunts who used to steal all the funding they get. They once left once of Froome's team mates in the desert for dead, he was rescued by a team mechanic from another team who, by chance, was making a return trip on the road.

I'd not read that, although it doesn't surprise me. Kenya given it's terrain and history of producing great endurance athletes should, by any standard, also have great cyclists so there's clearly something in the way (beyond being dirt poor etc.). To be clear, I have no objection to Froome cycling as a Brit, it's just that I can't really relate to him as he spent his formative years climbing huge mountains in the searing heat whereas most British riders (at any level) spent it riding 50 miles in the pissing rain on the flat (or up very steep very short hills)  to a chip shop in the middle of nowhere and then 50 miles back again.

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Yeah, great cyclist, not really a Brit in any meaningful way. 

More British than Mo the Quorn eater.

4 minutes ago, BigV said:

I'd say he isn't loved as he doesn't have a great hairline. 

Unfortunately he is not an attention seeking narcissistic bastard, so the media don't bull him up for their own purposes.

1 hour ago, BigV said:

It's the hair I tell you.

Jordan spieth is another.

Who was a Steve ovett fan rather than cram or Coe?

We live in a hairist society, even the So-Called BBC don't seem to realise. 

Slapheads matter

It's a good point. Nobody's seen Kojak on telly lately, have they?

Its odd how the media ignore Chris Froome. Winning the Tour 4 times is an astonishing achievement.

Seems like nice chap too.

429CD31200000578-4722684-image-a-35_1500832343197.jpg

Ive no problem with him competing as British as he does have British parents.

Edited by JackieO

6 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Its odd how the media ignore Chris Froome. Winning the Tour 4 times is an astonishing achievement.

Seems like nice chap too.

429CD31200000578-4722684-image-a-35_1500832343197.jpg

Ive no problem with him competing as British as he does have British parents.

I think he's ignored by the press because he comes across as quintessentially British, boring, if you will, although I think pleasantly boring is quite refreshing. He doesn't seem to have an edge to his character that them press can exploit in an 'oooh look' kind of way. Decent and hard working is uninteresting. It's probably more than enough for Froome that he wins.

Edited by Hopeful

12 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I think he's ignored by the press because he comes across as quintessentially British, boring, if you will, although I think pleasantly boring is quite refreshing. He doesn't seem to have an edge to his character that them press can exploit in an 'oooh look' kind of way. Decent and hard working is uninteresting. It's probably more than enough for Froome that he wins.

Or ... they regard cycling as totally bent.

36 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

i think a local lad to be could go on to great things,sometimes see him walking around uttoxeter he is called adam peaty

Yes, considering there is no equipment advantage in swimming, just technique, fitness and strength, Peaty is a special athlete. Thousands of breaststrokers have committed their lives to swimming fast and Peaty has the top 10 fastest times in history.

It used to get on my nerves of the hypocrisy of British sports fans when they would bang on about only having to have a pint of Guinness to play for the Irish Republic Football team.

In accordance with the rules you had to have one Grandparent born in Ireland to qualify to play for them whilst England would often use naturalized players with zero familial links to England such as John Barnes,Tony Dorigo,Luther Blissett,John Salako,Raheem Sterling etc.

Also in other sports such as Cricket,Rugby,Athletics and Tennis there has been plenty of foreigners representing the UK with no links to the UK.