DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Hymns

tlc

Roger_Mellie
12 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I didn't know that was a Catholic hymn. We often sang it in assembly in the infant and junior schools, and that was at a Proddie primary in British West Hartlepool.

Maybe our headmaster was a stealth Fenian...?

XYY

Having gone to an ultra-catholic school my over-riding memory of primary school is hymn practice, so I've got a few favourites.

I have to say, I like Lord of the Dance. I always found it a bit dark, still remember a lot of the words.

I danced in the morning when the sky turned black

It's hard to dance with the devil on your back

They burined my body and they thought I'd gone

But I am the dance and I still go on

But this one, just watching it on youtube is making me fill up. We had it at my nan's funeral, phenomenal woman. Not catholic, but when she died the first person on the phone was the priest asking if we wanted a catholic requiem mass. Not often that happens.

The other one I always liked was the priest singing the doxology and great Amen. No decent ones in English on Youtube, I was a strange kid (strange adult), I always quite liked mass and being in church.

19 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I didn't know that was a Catholic hymn. We often sang it in assembly in the infant and junior schools, and that was at a Proddie primary in British West Hartlepool.

Maybe our headmaster was a stealth Fenian...?

XYY

A lot of hymns were Catholic in origin, as puritans didn't like music.

Austin Allegro

I like the hymns that inspire higher thoughts about our place in the universe. I prefer these to the 'Jesus is my boyfriend' evangelical type hymns.

This one by John Chadwick set to music by the great Orlando Gibbons is one of my favourites.

Simple but beautiful, raising the mind to its highest reaches, and yet somehow also grounded in the simplicity of rural England; it makes me think of plain white church interiors illuminated by sunlight through clear leaded glass, vast East Anglian skies and the endless grey of the North Sea.

maynardgravy
On 31/03/2020 at 21:36, onlyme said:

Can't remember who posted this, 

Haunting.

Tchaikovsky used the hymn 'God Preserve thy People' at the start of the 1812 Overture:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived