DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Virus driving innovation?

Great Guy

I went to the petrol station to fill up. I've *always* went to the kiosk to pay for fuel before. However today I paid for the fuel by card at the petrol pump. I have to admit it was surprising how quick and easy it was. 

I'd imagine a petrol station could be open 24 hours a day with very little supervision?

I cant help thinking this virus will improve efficiency over the next few years.

Frank Hovis

Though IIRC they make peanuts from the fuel and all the money comes from people paying a pound or whatever for a Mars Bar when settling up; so a petrol station run like that wouldn't last long.

The last time I had a lift with my brother and he needed fuel he came out with two Red Bulls (for himself, not one for me but he knew I wouldn't have wanted one anyway).  They would have made far more on those than on the petrol he bought.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The last time I had a lift with my brother and he needed fuel he came out with two Red Bulls

It's almost a courtesy service for supermarkets, when you have spent £80 at the till, you sometimes get a discount token.

Edited by MrPin

Uptherebels
27 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I went to the petrol station to fill up. I've *always* went to the kiosk to pay for fuel before. However today I paid for the fuel by card at the petrol pump. I have to admit it was surprising how quick and easy it was. 

I'd imagine a petrol station could be open 24 hours a day with very little supervision?

I cant help thinking this virus will improve efficiency over the next few years.

I've been to a couple of petrol stations where there is no shop bit. Just the pumps. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

last christmas, wasn't it ?

Aww Mr Michaels is gone! 

6 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

I've been to a couple of petrol stations where there is no shop bit. Just the pumps. 

Costco don't have a kiosk. 
They had an attendant wiping things last time I was there. Pre-lockdown.

On fuel alone, most garages operate at a loss. The profit on a full tank of petrol is about £1 or something, hence why everything in the shop is so pricey. Keeping a business open 24 hours a day has a lot of costs that most people don't appreciate. And one of the biggests costs to petrol garages is bilking i.e. driving off without paying, which is rife, and incidences of which would obviously rocket if it was 3AM and nobody was around.

Nicking petrol is so rife in some parts that a lot of garages don't bother to prosecute if the vehicle plate has no history of doing it before. They just let them get away with it, it's cheaper.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

xD round here that is probably true!

You really are the "tourist board" for you location. I'd also like to visit SgtHartmans's Cotswolds.

11 minutes ago, spunko said:

On fuel alone, most garages operate at a loss. The profit on a full tank of petrol is about £1 or something, hence why everything in the shop is so pricey. Keeping a business open 24 hours a day has a lot of costs that most people don't appreciate. And one of the biggests costs to petrol garages is bilking i.e. driving off without paying, which is rife, and incidences of which would obviously rocket if it was 3AM and nobody was around.

Nicking petrol is so rife in some parts that a lot of garages don't bother to prosecute if the vehicle plate has no history of doing it before. They just let them get away with it, it's cheaper.

How much would a petrol station save in labour costs if they went full automated? Even if they saved on a night shift it would probably be a saving of a £120 a night.

You couldn't really Nick petrol from an automated petrol station as you need to enter your card before you get petrol.

Popuplights
5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

How much would a petrol station save in labour costs if they went full automated? Even if they saved on a night shift it would probably be a saving of a £120 a night.

You couldn't really Nick petrol from an automated petrol station as you need to enter your card before you get petrol.

There are fully automated petrol stations in France.

• Agree 2

sleepwello'nights
1 minute ago, Popuplights said:

and Italy and Iceland (to boast about my travels in recent years) :)

2 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

They have to have them otherwise they'd be closed to customers so much of the time - Sundays / holidays.

Virus tech related lots of 3d printing / rapid development / open source dev going on - everything from ventilator designs , ventilator parts, mask frames, oxygen sets, even 3D printed swabs.

Dr John was commenting on how quickly F1 engineers were able to switch from making cars go round in circles facter to making life saving medical equipment. More than a hint of irritaion that these engineers were wasting their talents in formular one.

Didn't occur to him, that without formular 1 these engineers may not be available at all.

• Agree 4

Two Italian guys on BBC Breakfast had made a ventilator out of a scuba diving mask and a 3-D printed plastic valve thingy and were going into production I believe.  It looked quite good.

Necessity really is the mother of invention.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, janch said:

Two Italian guys on BBC Breakfast had made a ventilator out of a scuba diving mask and a 3-D printed plastic valve thingy and were going into production I believe.  It looked quite good.

Necessity really is the mother of invention.

Blue Peter Badge?

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I honestly don't think I've ever bought anything inside a petrol station shop in my entire life... had no idea I was rinsing them so much by only buying the stuff off them they virtually sell at a loss.

I've awarded myself a chufty badge for that.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

ashestoashes
20 minutes ago, Royston said:

I honestly don't think I've ever bought anything inside a petrol station shop in my entire life... had no idea I was rinsing them so much by only buying the stuff off them they virtually sell at a loss.

how is that possible, do you carry water and food for all eventualities or maybe don't travel by car much ?

22 minutes ago, Royston said:

Yorkshire mix.
They only sell it in the petrol station kiosk.

Morrisons doesn't like my debit card at the pay-at-the-pump which is highly irritating. Never has done. Cancels every transaction, obviously thinks I am skint. I thus have to queue up with loads of luddite boomers for the 2 out of 12 pumps that are not pay-at-the-pump (yes that is right, 2). They obviously don't need to encourage people into the kiosk to buy other stuff if they're actively replacing pay-at-the-kiosk pumps with pay-at-the-pump. Personally I never optionally use a human being if I can pay self-service or at the pump. I often shop with a colleague of mine as we walk back from work together and call in Morrisons on the way home. I am always waiting for 2 mins or so while he queues up at the till after I zoom through self-service. Genuinely, he has never beaten me!