• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Best Indian Restaurant

I'm a fan of the Delhi Brasserie in Soho and I used to like the place of the same name on Cromwell Road (not sure if they're related). I went to Lord Harpole's place once and, whilst he was a thoroughly endearing old nutter (RIP), I can't say that the food was all that good.

Anyone have any others they like particularly? 

I used to like Khan's in Westbourne Grove - rough and ready cafe atmosphere, cheap, big portions and not your usual boring "British Indian" menu. The tandoori was particularly good. The "Standard" next door shared a kitchen but was more traditional if you fancied something posher.

Another that sticks in the mind is Vijay's S. Indian in Queen's Park for their wonderful masala dosas.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

Bets are normally Indian Indian. There ware very of those.

Im noticing that the food in most Bangladeshi Indians is getting dire these day - total oily, mushy veg shit.

I like the Rasa up by Post Office tower - years ago.

Ive seen a couiple of Indian Dosa places open ,which are very good.

34 minutes ago, One percent said:

Years ago I used to venture up brick lane.  Excellent and authentic. I went a couple of years ago and it was an overpriced tourist trap with sharks hanging round the doors pressuring people. Not nice 

Yes, I went down Brick Lane after having its curry credentials extolled to me by my mates.

I thought it was crap, any other day it would have just been mediocre but the hugely inflated price tag elevated it to crap.

One of thw best curries I've ever had in the UK was at a place called Khatmandu in Manchester a few years back. Nom.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Yes, I went down Brick Lane after having its curry credentials extolled to me by my mates.

I thought it was crap, any other day it would have just been mediocre but the hugely inflated price tag elevated it to crap.

One of thw best curries I've ever had in the UK was at a place called Khatmandu in Manchester a few years back. Nom.

It was good years ago before it became touristy. 

The best I know is No. 1 the avenue in chingford. People travel quite a way to it and packed every night 

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Years ago I used to venture up brick lane.  Excellent and authentic. I went a couple of years ago and it was an overpriced tourist trap with sharks hanging round the doors pressuring people. Not nice 

I remember going for a meal there in the 1980s, with some Indian colleagues, when I worked in ship insurance, in London.

3 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Yeah it's still pretty good, went there a few months ago on a works leaving post-pub curry stop. All the places in Rusholme are totally student/'curry tourist' McCurry hellholes.

1 hour ago, JFK said:

Yeah it's still pretty good, went there a few months ago on a works leaving post-pub curry stop. All the places in Rusholme are totally student/'curry tourist' McCurry hellholes.

Indeed I know Rusholme!

Being a girl now, my recommendation is:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=263414246&sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+|+Shopping+GSC+|+All+Products*PRODUCT+GROUP263414246*&gclid=COTe0t6UgdMCFQYq0wodbKMGuw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Add onions and brain frying chillies to the mix, then add some fruit.

Dead easy too. Just fry the veg, and the paste and some hot water.

The town where I used to live had a curry house that could do magic.

It could do the amazing trick of having 30 different dishes on the menu and each one tasting and looking exactly the same, just a different colour!

Amazeballs!

The locals raved on about it, it was total shite. Fecking hicks.