DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How many people in the UK do you think work completely cash-in-hand and how many subsidise their income with cash payments (not declared)?

HolyCow

Frank Hovis

I have literally never had cash refused in a shop and I do no research beforehand to find out whether they do or not.

Not once.

I have seen "no cards" or "cash only" signs but never "no cash".

I  am aware of one poncey gallery chain that doesn't take cash but I wouldn't anyway have willingly crossed their threshold.

Do you include people who claim not to be working? Don't see how anyone can solely exist under the radar  unless in cahoots with a partner for instance. 

1 minute ago, chicker said:

Do you include people who claim not to be working? Don't see how anyone can solely exist under the radar  unless in cahoots with a partner for instance. 

Yes. 

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have literally never had cash refused in a shop and I do no research beforehand to find out whether they do or not.

Not once.

I  am aware of one poncey gallery chain that doesn't take cash but I wouldn't anyway have willingly crossed their threshold.

Spurs new stadium takes no cash. Many pubs in the city take no cash.  London buses take no cash.

I hate it.

• Agree 5

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not once.

A lot of it is recent. Where I live a lot of little shops that have stayed open (and others that have since closed) had new policies of only accepting tap and pay cards. I went to Costas to get a coffee when it was still open and they were not accepting cash, neither were Nero's.

Frank Hovis

Well I've no idea if my gardener pays tax on the cash I give him; I sincerely hope not and as he knows what I think of paying tax (i.e. don't) I trust that he just pockets it but wouldn't be so impolite as to ask.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, HolyCow said:

A lot of it is recent. Where I live a lot of little shops that have stayed open (and others that have since closed) had new policies of only accepting tap and pay cards. I went to Costas to get a coffee when it was still open and they were not accepting cash, neither were Nero's.

I'm safe then!

When I have coffee out I tend to pick somewhere unusual - small cafe, British Legion, leisure centre.

It helps them to keep going and I prefer the ambience; plus it's usually half the price.

They all take cash.

(I'm not like this for everything; Ialways prefer a chain hotel).

• Agree 2

Also many retailers are uneasy about taking £50 notes. But large builders/timber merchants will readily accept very large amounts of cash no problem. All the cash is in the building trade I recko

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
5 minutes ago, chicker said:

Also many retailers are uneasy about taking £50 notes. But large builders/timber merchants will readily accept very large amounts of cash no problem. All the cash is in the building trade I recko

I think that's changing.

St Ives (dreadful theme seaside town, avoid) has lost all its banks and now only has one cash point which, because of the travel time, is filled with £50 notes only to lengthen the time between refills.

Shops and pubs in the wider area are now accustomed to taking them.

With banks and cash points still closing this looks the likely way ahead.

I remember when cash points used to give £5 notes; they were phased out by most twenty or more years ago and it will be the £10 next. I have been to several cash points that only offer £20s but wouldn't know if that was their permanent state.

Loads of places around here (Peckham) are card only.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I remember when cash points used to give £5 notes; they were phased out by most twenty or more years ago and it will be the £10 next. I have been to several cash points that only offer £20s but wouldn't know if that was their permanent state.

Natwest normally offer £5 in cash machines, certainly all the ones in Victoria station do

• Agree 1

MrLibertyRedux
8 minutes ago, chicker said:

Funny you should say that, I was just about to post similar.

Have a friend, (bricky and general builder) and to be honest the money he makes is such a joke as to not make that much difference if it was through the books or not. Then add in the voids for bad weather and the rest.

He files tax returns, but I have no idea of what the ratio he declares is to what he doesn't is - I'm hoping the less the better. The difference for SSP/UC is about a tenner a week (I think?) which is all he's going to get either way with Covid, if he even claims for it. But very definitely an environment where cash is the way to go and is still well liked.

He was looking at doing some local work still until lockdown, but a combination of everyone hiding from the Stasi and struggling to get materials or equipment he needs even though the merchants are still open scuppered that one - so he is going to struggle.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, gilf said:

Natwest normally offer £5 in cash machines, certainly all the ones in Victoria station do

Wow.

I used to make a special trip if I knew one was offering fivers but I genuinely cannot remember the last time I had any.

20 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm safe then!

When I have coffee out I tend to pick somewhere unusual - small cafe, British Legion, leisure centre.

It helps them to keep going and I prefer the ambience; plus it's usually half the price.

They all take cash.

(I'm not like this for everything; Ialways prefer a chain hotel).

I usually get the free Waitrose one but they're not doing them anymore for obvious reasons so I thought I'd try Costa's or Nero's. Both expensive and crap in comparison to Waitrose.

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
Just now, HolyCow said:

I usually get the free Waitrose one but they're not doing them anymore for obvious reasons so I thought I'd try Costa's or Nero's. Both expensive and crap in comparison to Waitrose.

Awesome DOSBODding there sir!

I've never had a convenient Waitrose but if so I would have been tempted in for the free coffee and buying a couple of effectively £3 off niceties.

Don Coglione
4 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Funny you should say that, I was just about to post similar.

Have a friend, (bricky and general builder) and to be honest the money he makes is such a joke as to not make that much difference if it was through the books or not. Then add in the voids for bad weather and the rest.

He files tax returns, but I have no idea of what the ratio he declares is to what he doesn't is - I'm hoping the less the better. The difference for SSP/UC is about a tenner a week (I think?) which is all he's going to get either way with Covid, if he even claims for it. But very definitely an environment where cash is the way to go and is still well liked.

He was looking at doing some local work still until lockdown, but a combination of everyone hiding from the Stasi and struggling to get materials or equipment he needs even though the merchants are still open scuppered that one - so he is going to struggle.

Building site around the corner from me still going flat-out.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Awesome DOSBODding there sir!

I've never had a convenient Waitrose but if so I would have been tempted in for the free coffee and buying a couple of effectively £3 off niceties.

Waitrose free coffee is nectar of the gods as far as I'm concerned :Old:.

• Agree 2

Whenever I offer tradesmen or mechanics cash they never seem arsed either way and are just as happy to take card payment, I'm not even doing it in the hopes of getting discount, just to do them a favour if they do want to keep it off the books.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, chicker said:

London buses take no cash

That was a shock to me, I cahn tell you. A'yd not been in Olde England for nigh on 20 year and to find you couldn't pay with an old white fiver on a Lahndan bus caught me right out, so it did. Had to use my CC and didn't get a bit of paper receipt, neither. Bloomin' liberty. For all I knows my CC payment went straight in the drivers bank account, innit.

Edited by Dave Bloke
  • Agree 1

Happy Renting

Remember, if you offer the exact amount in cash (legal tender) to settle a debt, the creditor must accept it or the debt is extinguished (in the UK)

To be legal tender it must not exceed certain limits on coins so paying £500 in pennies isn't legal tender.

Scottish banknotes are not legal tender even in Scotland.

Offering to buy something in a shop does not create a debt so normally shop purchases don't apply.

If you have a meal in a restaurant you are in debt until you pay, so they must accept cash after the meal if offered cash.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

TheCountOfNowhere
1 hour ago, HolyCow said:

Wonder what all those who get paid in cash are surviving on? Not only that but a lot of shops are not accepting cash at the moment.

How many MPs are there ?

• Agree 1

OurDayWillCome
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not once.

Some SJW coffee shop in Birmingham refused my cash - said it was too much hassle to deal with. Stupid Barristeward!

Edited by OurDayWillCome

6 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

That was a shock to me, I cahn tell you. A'yd not been in Olde England for nigh on 20 year and to find you couldn't pay with an old white fiver on a Lahndan bus caught me right out, so it did. Had to use my CC and didn't get a bit of paper receipt, neither. Bloomin' liberty. For all I knows my CC payment went straight in the drivers bank account, innit.

You haven't been able to use notes and get change for maybe 20 odd years on a Ldn bus. I remember on a N29 night bus pleading with passengers for  change of  a £20 note . 

stop_the_craziness
23 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Scottish banknotes are not legal tender even in Scotland.

This is my favourite new fact of the day.  Possibly my favourite ever.

• Agree 3