• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

And Smart Meters weren't about controlling you.

The rules are due to come into effect over the next year.

They will reduce costs for someone who allows their washing machine to be turned on by the internet to maximise use of cheap solar power on a sunny afternoon.

And they will even support people who agree to have their freezers switched off for a few minutes to smooth demand at peak times

Devices in your home turned on and off by a computer run by the National Grid.  That won't be intrusive whatsoever.

And at the moment it's "agree" and "allow"; until they hit critical mass that is whereupon it becomes compulsory for the common good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40699986

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

The rules are due to come into effect over the next year.

They will reduce costs for someone who allows their washing machine to be turned on by the internet to maximise use of cheap solar power on a sunny afternoon.

And they will even support people who agree to have their freezers switched off for a few minutes to smooth demand at peak times

Devices in your home turned on and off by a computer run by the National Grid.  That won't be intrusive whatsoever.

And at the moment it's "agree" and "allow"; until they hit critical mass that is whereupon it becomes compulsory for the common good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40699986

Ah, so this is about us running out of electricity. This is because, massive immigration has massively increased consumption and the privatised power companies have failed o invest in the infrastructure. 

Live not got them but soon it will be forced on us all 

Just now, One percent said:

Ah, so this is about us running out of electricity. This is because, massive immigration has massively increased consumption and the privatised power companies have failed o invest in the infrastructure. 

I think it will remain that you only get forced to have one upon change of supplier so whilst the majority will go it won't be everyone; like the minority still hanging onto their black and white TVs thirty years after they ceased to be manufactured.

They don't need everyone to submit to this; seventy or eighty percent of the population would do for starters.

And then you would get shaming to say how selfish that twenty percent is and indoctrination in schools about it as you do with recycling (different argument however).

It is scary how the way that people think and what they believe can be changed by the government and that it starts in such an apparently reasonable way.

21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think it will remain that you only get forced to have one upon change of supplier so whilst the majority will go it won't be everyone; like the minority still hanging onto their black and white TVs thirty years after they ceased to be manufactured.

They don't need everyone to submit to this; seventy or eighty percent of the population would do for starters.

And then you would get shaming to say how selfish that twenty percent is and indoctrination in schools about it as you do with recycling (different argument however).

It is scary how the way that people think and what they believe can be changed by the government and that it starts in such an apparently reasonable way.

It's amazing how easily people are manipulated. Even so called intelligent ones.  The power of the msm. 

45 minutes ago, One percent said:

Probably anticipating brownouts in the next couple of decades and want to deal with it in a controlled way rather than entire regions coming to a standstill.

More reason to go off grid? Or become self sufficient in making your own or capturing your own energy.

There might be ways to create "stealth" solar panels. They look like roof tiles, but are actually solar panels.

1 hour ago, 201p said:

More reason to go off grid? Or become self sufficient in making your own or capturing your own energy.

There might be ways to create "stealth" solar panels. They look like roof tiles, but are actually solar panels.

There are indeed but I can't see National Grid having a problem with one less consumer; plus if you register them Feed in and Export tariff still apply; albeit their lower rate making panels much less of a financial no-brainer (although still half decent as long as you own the house, aren't having to borrow to fund the panels, and expect to live there for over ten years).

It would be interesting if the communications would be via an open protocol, so there could be a proper negotiation of the points at which you'd like to turn off your freezer, etc, but it'll probably just be a dumb and compulsory 'turn stuff off' signal.  

Anyway, I'd worry about the impact of hacking on this.  They'll probably produce something 'mostly unhackable' which will be really tough to sort out when it gets hacked.  The nation will have power stations blowing up (through instantaneous overload as nationwide all freezers turn on, then off again), food going off in homes and stores (freezers just giving up), the nation not getting to work in the morning because every electric car was drained of power and then not recharged, etc, etc.

1 hour ago, 201p said:

Just put up normal solar panels.  If they're not officially registered as a solar installation (to be eligible for the feed-in-tariff) then they'll be as good as invisible to the authorities.

31 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I dry my clothes with a solar-powered washing line.

It isn't connected to the Internet.

But how do you turn it off when you're kept late at work?

Heard this morning briefly about government plans to boost solar. According to news, whatever they are (including something to do with batteries) the plans/offers/whatever linked to taking up remotely controlled.  What a load of bullshit, the only thing needed in a "smart" meter would be to have floating pricing, that way users could switch to low cost power accordingly.

We never run the electric drier when not in the house and awake, I don't want somebody else deciding when to turn stuff on and off thanks.

This makes living off grid even more appealing and likely something I will now do. I don't want the government turning off my washing machine remotely for 20 minutes to make way for more consumption by gimmegrants.

According to Ofgem, the energy regulator, individuals could save as much as £40bn by 2050 if new rules – due to come into effect over the next year – are successful. 

Holy cow, what a revolutionary idea! No idea why the Tories almost fully withdrew the tariffs only for them to reintroduce them in a few years time.

Curiously no information from the So-Called BBC about the solar panel changes beside the opening sentence. That useless hag Amber Rudd will likely overrule anything here anyway. This has all the hallmarks of a Red Tory policy, I bet Theresa loves it. Spying and controlling the population under the guise of saving the environment.

My theory about smart meters is that the energy companies want to be able to constantly change the price of energy - without warning.

Dare I suggest they could do it retrospectively based on demand to maximise profits?

Of course, if the smart meter controlling infrastructure were to be compromised, rogue commands could be sent.

Now imagine if all the remotely controlled devices were instructed to switch on (or off) at the same time.  There would be huge fluctuations in demand across the network.  Energy networks (gas or electricity) don't like fluctuations in demand.  Electricity companies have to prepare for events like full time of England World cup matches as a million kettles get switched on at the same time:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10862802/Will-World-Cup-2014-cause-the-lights-to-go-out.html

Internet enabled central heating systems already present this opportunity.

You have to be dumb customer to want a smart meter.

Edited by Lipid
Removed brand name.

I thought current advice was not to run tumble driers and dishwashers when you are absent from the house due to fire risk. I predict more house fires when this technology really gets up and running.

This is only slightly related.

3 weeks ago, i signed up to a new tariff with Scottish Power.

A plan that was fixed for a year and allowed quarterly payments on receipt of a bill. And given the proposed price hikes wasnt much above what im paying now. A confirmation message appeared on my screen and i thought nothing more of it.

Yesterday, i logged on to input some meter readings as it was time, and i'm being hectored in to signing up to a new tariff!??

Somewhat peeved, I then went through the procedure again, only to discover that the tariff that i first wanted has disappeared, and has been replaced by nothing but online direct debit "plans".

The 1 year "plan" i then selected also kept jumping back to the 2 year fix, that they clearly wanted me to be on.

**yes yes....just click the big green button like a good droid**....

The DD plan works out at £300 a year more than i have been paying.

Suffice to say ive fucked them off and moved to EDF.

They want control every whichway and im disgusted with the way they have tried to manipulate me.

Luckily my gas meter is in a cellar and cant be smarted, so im good for now. Even though they didn't bother to turn up to fit one, when i DID relent a few months back.

Energy markets are a total scam. Free market my arse.

Fucking wild west.

Edited by shindigger

10 hours ago, shindigger said:

A plan that was fixed for a year and allowed quarterly payments on receipt of a bill. And given the proposed price hikes wasnt much above what im paying now. A confirmation message appeared on my screen and i thought nothing more of it.

Yesterday, i logged on to input some meter readings as it was time, and i'm being hectored in to signing up to a new tariff!??

Somewhat peeved, I then went through the procedure again, only to discover that the tariff that i first wanted has disappeared, and has been replaced by nothing but online direct debit "plans".

The 1 year "plan" i then selected also kept jumping back to the 2 year fix, that they clearly wanted me to be on.

They want control every whichway and im disgusted with the way they have tried to manipulate me.

Luckily my gas meter is in a cellar and cant be smarted, so im good for now. Even though they didn't bother to turn up to fit one, when i DID relent a few months back.

Fucking wild west.

EDF are really good, you'll get none of that nonsense from them, any issues quickly resolved with a three minute phone call.

10 hours ago, shindigger said:

Fucking wild west.

Wow.  That knocks car insurance savings into a cocked hat.

I'm with SSE but haven't done any comparisons; sounds like I should have a look at EDF at lunchtime.