• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Bornagain

Newly Retired

Beat you to it by two weeks (this time, third retirement).

• Keep regular hours.
  • Exercise every day; ideally outside.
  • Start thinking what you are going to be doing during the winter when so much outdoor activity like gardening and swimming cease and walking can be a chore in teh bad weather.

My last two retirements both failed on that third point.  Loved spring / summer / autumn but bored to tears in winter.

Congratulations btw.

Congratulations!

If all goes to plan I should be able to retire myself in around twelve years.

I can thoroughly recommend visiting New Zealand if you have time (and money!)  I hired a campervan and spent a couple of weeks touring the South Island.  Possibly the most beautiful country I have ever visited.

California is amazing as well, outside of the cities.

Enjoy!

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Did you get a clock?

Today I was easily the most senior person on site, so I would have had to present it to myself.

But no, the firm don't do retirement gifts anymore - although in their eyes its redundancy rather than retirement, they consider it impossible to retire earlier than 55.

5 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

Thanks. It has been a long time coming.

P

Mid 50's does sound like the ideal retirement age to me if you can manage it.

It's the age when I've seen many people start to get fed up with work and it becoming obvious that they'd be much happier packing it in; be that by retiring altogether or just working part time or in a much lower stress job.

Being a fellow tight arse DOSBODDER I'd hope that I too will be able to make that decision in 20 years when I'm your age, and you have 20 years of freedom behind you!

Just now, Bornagain said:

Today I was easily the most senior person on site, so I would have had to present it to myself.

But no, the firm don't do retirement gifts anymore - although in their eyes its redundancy rather than retirement, they consider it impossible to retire earlier than 55.

Technically that's correct for most in that you have to be 55 to start drawing your pensions with a retirement event.  You've stopped working so at present the retirement exists in your head.

Obviously different rules apply in the public sector where they have odd conditions like 55 or 30 years continual service whichever is earlier.  Something like that.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I can't consider myself retired until I have an over elaborate French clock like Empress Eugenie had.

Well, I suppose I could buy one myself and use some of the shit-ton of money they pay us off with...

It would be vulgar, but my kind of vulgar.

6 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

Well, I suppose I could buy one myself and use some of the shit-ton of money they pay us off with...

It would be vulgar, but my kind of vulgar.

It wouldn't look out of place in Liberace's bathroom. I have a liking for over decorated tat.

Instead of the campervan, have you considered a couple of months a year in the Algarve. Apartment rentals are very cheap, an the weather much better than UK.

Obviously CV depending!!

I reckon go over November, home for Christmas for a couple of weeks, and back out to the sun until March.

40 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Instead of the campervan, have you considered a couple of months a year in the Algarve. Apartment rentals are very cheap, an the weather much better than UK.

Obviously CV depending!!

I reckon go over November, home for Christmas for a couple of weeks, and back out to the sun until March.

It can be warm in the daytime but not guaranteed. It gets bloody cold at night, so if you consider this make sure you get somewhere with decent heating (preferably included in the price)