DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone else better off because they aren’t spending anything?

Libspero

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Or more specifically in my case,  my wife..

Anyone else’s household finances improving since the lock down?

Same here, wife's spending has gone to 0 overnight, if the summer holidays get cancelled as well then happy days.

• Agree 4

Austin Allegro

I was moaning to myself about having to pay £1.75 for some bottled beer from the village shop. Until I remembered a pint is £3.80 in the village pub!

• Agree 5
  • Lol 1

Yes, food costs down radically due to not buying lunch at work and not going out for dinner / drinks. Also my transport costs have gone to zero - no more zip cars to go to costco or the velodrome (which is shut).  Same applies to the Mrs and BlueCat junior (public transport to school and cafeteria costs). Likely adds up to 1000 CAD a month - I feel a new bike coming on after all of this is done.

• Agree 2

By the end of this I might be well up.

Had booked 3 weeks touring Greek Islands. If all cancelled saves me £12k. I'm a contractor so will work 3 weeks extra. 

All kids clubs and activities have been cancelled.

Just got a contract renewal with 13% rise in day rate.

Wife and I working from home, busier than ever.

Can't go out, takeaways nearly all closed

KERCHING plus lots of DIY done

Edited by choochoo
  • Agree 4

Popuplights
3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Yes, food costs down radically due to not buying lunch at work and not going out for dinner / drinks. Also my transport costs have gone to zero - no more zip cars to go to costco or the velodrome (which is shut).  Same applies to the Mrs and BlueCat junior (public transport to school and cafeteria costs). Likely adds up to 1000 CAD a month - I feel a new bike coming on after all of this is done.

N+1. Every cloud has a silver lining eh?

I'm gonna get some new coilovers for my mx5

The only thing that's gone up is the gas bill after the chilly weather this week and working from home so it being switched on in the day :ph34r:

That and eating a fuck load more biscuits.

Definitely (per month)

Travel to the office (-£200)

Petrol (-£50)

Sky Sports (-£18)

Golf (-£36)

Contact lenses (-£10) 

Reduced by an estimated £30 by the increase in gas/leccy

• Agree 1

longtomsilver

It's too early to say but I should be able to cut £500p/month in spending fuel/social/clothes. I'm impulsive and tend to make expensive purchases in isolation and when I have time on my hands. I've been looking at guitars, cars, watches and electric bicycles, all well beyond my means 🥺 I'll try and resist the urge.

• Lol 1

Seem to be spending an extraordinary amount at the tills when I go shopping. Lunch for family £35... dinner £55... Saturday with bits for Sunday £110

Ok, so there is normally booze involved as well, but even so...

Noticed almost all the offers have been pulled at Sainsbury’s and Tesco. No longer getting the Nectar coupons either 

• Agree 2

TheCountOfNowhere
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Or more specifically in my case,  my wife..

Anyone else’s household finances improving since the lock down?

Saving a fortune 

Sucralose Ray Leonard

Saving quite a bit, but suspect my savings will be worthless so blew a small fortune on something I don't really need. Fuck it. 

Also getting fatter. 

We all die someday. 

MrLibertyRedux

Already saved enough for a weekend in a cracking hotel, case of Pol Roger, a brace of high class hookers** and a large quantity of cocaine.

**something I wouldn't normally indulge in but just might depending on how long this goes on for...**

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

One percent
44 minutes ago, dgul said:

Wifey has been spending more online.  

I think that postie is cross.

Are they still working?  Ive not had any post for over a week. I guess all the junk mail has stopped.  Ive not had my water rates though either. 

and yes, my CC bill was half what it normally is. 

Frank Hovis

I must be one of the few for whom there is zero difference in incomings or outgoings because I retired just prior to lockdown and am doing exactly what I planned to do: decent daily walk and sorting out house / garden / garage / car.

I won't claim that it has made zero difference but really it's very little.

• Agree 2

Spending on food has gone through the roof.

On the one hand, we're waist-deep in dried pasta and rice and tins of veg, and it will all get used up eventually.

One the other hand, as I now go alone to the supermarket - wifey does not drive - she goes separately to a local fruit and veg shop to buy stuff. They do quality, but it's bloody expensive - €80 this week. I've had words with her, but I have to wait until her next outing to know if she's listened >:(

Yep, probably saving. Will know when pay day comes around in a couple of weeks.

Wife has been stocking up massively on food and when I do a 'normal weekly shop' it's more expensive now. But then again, there's no McDonald's or 'just get a Chinese'. Plus there's some treats and beers that I wouldn't normally buy.

Home heating oil has plummeted, so I got nearly a full tank. No commute to work or food there.